So if diet is 80%.....

Options
What are some good books and/or resources to help learn about diet/nutrition? I know the basics, sort of. I would love to learn more about how to use my diet as a better tool to lose weight. I would love a good book to read. I looked today, but it was overwhelming because there were soooo many books. Any in particular that pertain to weight loss?? I don't want a DIET book. I want something on eating healthy, but also how to make the right choices for weight loss!

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    My favourite book about food and how we eat is "In defence of Food" by Michael Pollan.
    It's not a diet book or even an "eating healthy" book, but it does really put food into perspective, and for me it made a lot of sense.
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Real Food Matters by Mark Bittman. It is great. It is not a diet book either.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I don't follow this exactly, but when I'm eating at my best...I follow these principles closer than any others.

http://www.fasttracktofatloss.com/
  • Michaelarforbes
    Options
    I work at an eating disorder treatment facility and the book we give to all of the clients is called Intuitive Eating. It teaches you how to eat normally and to listen to your body. To stop eating when you are full and to eat when you are hungry. This all sounds so basic but somewhere along the line we seem to forget how to do this. This book is so helpful and are principles that last a lifetime. It is definitely a lifestyle change and not a quick fix program though. I would definitely recommend this book.
  • parkermegan
    parkermegan Posts: 167
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!!!! :-)
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I think the Pollan, Bittman and Intuitive Eating books are great suggestions. (Sorry, I haven't read the web site recommended above.)

Sometimes I feel like I've read them all. A favorite of mine is Volumetrics by Barbara Rolls. She's highly respected in the industry, as are Pollan and Bittman.
  • parkermegan
    Options
    Thanks!!!

Anyone else before I pick up a few?!?!?
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I work at an eating disorder treatment facility and the book we give to all of the clients is called Intuitive Eating. It teaches you how to eat normally and to listen to your body. To stop eating when you are full and to eat when you are hungry. This all sounds so basic but somewhere along the line we seem to forget how to do this. This book is so helpful and are principles that last a lifetime. It is definitely a lifestyle change and not a quick fix program though. I would definitely recommend this book.

This is the book I would recommend as well, especially if you overeat for emotional reasons or yo yo diet. It really made a difference in how I think about food and listen to my body's hunger signals.
  • anwilson_83
    Options
    fit2fat2fit is pretty good. its not about diet its about changing your lifestyle. pretty motivating to me
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    The most interesting book on eating I ever read is "Mindless Eating". It isn't a diet book but more about why we eat what and how much we eat. Fascinating stuff.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease" Caldwell Esselstyn (includes recipes) READ THIS ONE ASAP!

"Engine 2 Diet" Rip Esselstyn (includes recipes) Rip is the only author i listed who isn't a doctor. He is Caldwell Esselstyn's son, and he was a triathlete, now he is a firefighter in Texas.)

"Eat To Live" Dr. Joel Fuhrman

"The China Study" Dr. Colin Campbell

"The Starch Solution" Dr. John Mcdougall

"80/10/10 Diet" Dr. Doug Graham

The top one is one to read ASAP! It's not just about weight loss, but how to keep yourself healthy into old age. It's written by one of the most respected heart surgeons in the world, regarding his 20+ year study on diet's effect on heart health.
  • georgiegirl2911
    georgiegirl2911 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey there. Megan, I c you have twins, me too and and have decided to get back into shape after having my 3 girls. Not sure where u r from but here in Australia, Michelle bridges from the biggest loser has heaps of books with recipes and exercise regimes. I've lost 7kg and am loving doing what she recommends. Google her and it will come up with her books. Goodluck.
  • azyaria
    azyaria Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I approach nutrition through the idea of "eating clean", which means that you are eating foods every couple of hours that are natural and healthy vs. processed, fried, etc. (this article explains it in more detail: http://eatingcleanworks.com/what-is-eating-clean.html).

This is the general idea behind the general diet that lots of athletes follow. I only do moderate activities, but I enjoy this approach because when i'm really following it, I am only eating when i'm hungry and my cravings subside.

There is a magazine called "Eating Clean" that gives you recipes, does food comparison, gives you a menu of what you can eat each week, etc.

There is also a few books by Tosca Reno - i recommend "The Eat-Clean Diet® Recharged" - this explains what the diet is, how to apply it in different scenarios (like what to take with you to work? What to eat when your traveling? On the road? With your kids?).

Good luck!
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    Bump
  • parkermegan
    Options
    Love all the ideas!!! I am going to look these up!

We eat pretty healthy, I think, we don't eat fast food and I try to give me kids as much fresh food as possible (veggies/fruits) and healthier snacks. I'm sure we can improve and not only do I want to lose weight....but my main goal is to be healthier for my family and teach my kids good eating habits and nutrition! I love to know how things work though and the reasons behind things.
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I would look into the "You" books by Dr Oz. I started reading one and it just breaks down how food/macronutrients work and why it's important to you. I think I was reading "You on a Diet", but I can't remember because I have his first two "You" books. But I thought the content was easy to read and understand.
  • eric198
    eric198 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I recently started Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy: The Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy Eating. Also, you can read more directly from their site at

thenutritionsource.org
  • no1canadianangel
    Options
    My cousin and her boyfriend are health nuts and they told me about Dr. Jonny Bowden. Look him up, He is awesome! He also has some great recipe books you can check out :)
  • KauandMe
    KauandMe Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Great list! Thanks