PCOS and weightloss

Options

Replies

• jonesygetshealthy
    jonesygetshealthy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've had PCOS for over 5 years, since I was 14 years old.
    On my 20th birthday (Sept '11) I weighed 195lbs at a height of 5'3"... I changed my diet by removing all gluten (someone suggested this to aid my psoriasis). I noticed that I was feeling a lot better and had a lot fewer cramps, and I did research and started on the Dukan Diet (at approval by my doctor!) :) The Dukan Diet focuses on high protein, moderate fat, and low carb eating... removing nearly all sources of white bread, grains, and starchy foods for several months. It was sort of hard- but the benefits of eating gluten-free for me were already started, and all I had to do after that was basically stop eating rice and potatoey-things.
    Anyways, today I am at 157lbs... I really do feel like the high protein-low carb diet is the only thing that has really helped me to achieve weight loss.
    Along with this, I started to jog about 8-15 miles per week, though only for the last month or so. :)
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 9 years ago... and tried several medications including metformin and spironolactone. Neither one really did anything to alleviate my symptoms, in fact the side effects I had on them were worse than some of my symptoms. So I took a more natural approach and started taking cinnamon (which in studies has proven to be more effective than metformin!) Best part is it's cheap and no side effects. I put 1/2 tsp a day into my drink or food. I also take a chromium tablet which is supposed to help regulate blood sugar. B complex is great for PCOS as well as fish oil, I am taking all of those as well as Vitex to balance my hormones. I did lose over 55 pounds on my own without prescription medications. I have put some of that back on since I came off the pill but am hoping once my hormones balance back out I'll keep losing.
  • jayrdubya
    jayrdubya Posts: 12
    Options
    I recently started taking Metaformin, so I guess we'll see if it helps with the weight loss. This thread has been really informative. I'm so glad I found this site!
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Cutting back sugar/carbs is really important. I used to suffer from serious hypoglycemia. Even when I was thin. It started around the time I was diagnosed with PCOS. I didn't make the connection right away. I became convinced that I couldn't go low carb because of the severity and frequency of my hypoglycemic episodes. The last few weeks I have drastically cut my carbs, initially to under 50 g a day and now to under 75g a day. I have had no hypoglycemic symptoms. I feel fine, in fact I fell full and I'm not craving. I went to a street festival today in Little Italy and walked right past the cannolis without a second thought. In the past I would be losing my mind when I see sweets, the temptation was so great. I am still very early in the weight loss journey, but I will say limiting carbs can make a difference.
  • annieviolent
    Options
    I developed PCOS as a result of the Mirena IUD. I dealt with it for six years because I liked not getting a period and wasn't fond of other birth control methods. I tried taking Metformin but couldn't tolerate it. The ovary pain due to the cysts got so bad I finally had the IUD removed a few months ago and I feel great and have started losing weight again.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Having PCOS is hard. I always lose weight when I go on the pill.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I should add that I had a partial hysterectomy (I have only my right ovary now) and it was the best thing I ever did. Feel so much better!!! I do still get cysts on the right ovary sometimes but it's not near as bad.
  • poulingail
    poulingail Posts: 110
    Options
    I've mainly seen success with a low carb diet.

I agree with Belli. Low carb is the way to go.
    It is what it is so don't expect to find the magic bullet. :sad: You need to eat less (than the avg person would) and exercise more (than the avg person would) and that's the way it goes. It stinks but I repeat, It is what it is. :ohwell:
  • jryan83
    jryan83 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You might be gaining muscle mass. Your eating protein and working out, those usually mean you are trying to build muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. Also, with a new baby I'm sure your burning more calories, but hormones might be interfering.

Having PCOS myself, trying to loose weight is not easy. I've noticed that even though I'm following everything and reaching all my goals for the week I can't loose my 2lbs a week. I'm lucky if I loose 1lb a week, and I'm desperate enough that I'll take that.
    I'd rather loose 1lb a week, not starve, and NOT worry that I'm gaining.

Good Luck and Grats on the baby!
  • b1505
    b1505 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of PCOS groups on this site that might be a great place to start/support they are great :)!

I dont have a diagnosis of PCOS but have all the symptoms and the only thing thats worked for me is a low carb diet. Many of the women on MFP who also have PCOS are following the same diet recommendations and losing the weight :)

Hope this is helpful and dont give up :) There are people out there who will support you!
    So glad I've just read this, I'm similar to you in that I haven't been diagnosed but have all the symptoms. I've decided to try the low carb diet after getting fed up of other things not working, definitely going to keep at it after reading this :) thanks
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I don't have PCOS but have read a great deal of literature on the low glycemic index plan and, as some have mentioned, this was supposedly developed primarily for those with PCOS and insulin resistance. It is a very healthy and reasonable lifestyle method, low glycemic index!
  • downwithbottledwater
    Options
    I've been doing well on a low carb diet.

I keep my carbs under 50 grams per day, my fat is usually under 30 grams, and my protein over 80 grams per day.

I don't eat any sugar or grains or potatoes at all. I get my carbs from veggies, dairy, and legumes.

I'm finally starting to have more regular periods, but I haven't found any less facial hair :(

I'm not on any pcos meds anymore.
  • jozkny
    jozkny Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and was diagnosed about 15 yrs ago. I was very young and relatively fit, weighed 120lbs. After 2 very complicated pregnancies and four surgeries later, I am about high 260's (which is NOT the most I've ever been). I too have been on Metformin, but didn't see significant results so I have been off for about a year. I get regular B12 boosters but other than that, currently NO meds. I have lost 16 lbs on MFP just by keeping track of food. I have not increased my physical activity. I have a goal to maintain a regular workout, but doing "everyday" activities, not in the gym. So far I think just getting over the hurdle and knowing there is support motivates me. Keep up the good work! And be aware of you own body and your limitations, because while having a "cheering section" helps-- you are the only one who knows YOU. Also see what your doctor suggests. :) Good luck!
  • stormyWI
    stormyWI Posts: 12
    Options
    I developed PCOS as a result of the Mirena IUD. I dealt with it for six years because I liked not getting a period and wasn't fond of other birth control methods. I tried taking Metformin but couldn't tolerate it. The ovary pain due to the cysts got so bad I finally had the IUD removed a few months ago and I feel great and have started losing weight again.

Just wanted to say that the Mirena IUD does not cause PCOS. Studies have shown PCOS is caused by insulin resistance and even if not insulin resistant on blood tests there can still be a degree of your body not processing insulin as it should, resulting in the side effects we all hate so much.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

Just wanted to say that the Mirena IUD does not cause PCOS. Studies have shown PCOS is caused by insulin resistance and even if not insulin resistant on blood tests there can still be a degree of your body not processing insulin as it should, resulting in the side effects we all hate so much.

PCOS is also hereditary. So most likely someone in your family has it, but is not the result of using a birth control method.
  • lula2515
    lula2515 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have pcos and remain unmedicated unless I'm pregnant or ttc. However, I have ALWAYS carried extra weight. Recently, I quit sugar. I have lost 20lbs and kept it off, plus I can tell that my cycles are much more regular than I ever have been. I maintain that, because PCOS is loosely related to diabetic conditions, that quitting sugar and fructose has changed *everything* for me.

Here's my blog with my journey: http://formytummy.blogspot.com

Good luck!

how have you quit sugar exactly? X
  • RobogirlDax
    RobogirlDax Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I haven't been diagnosed with PCO, however I had just found out from a bloodtest that I don't ovulate. The fertility clinic wants to do IVF after the summer.
    Anyways, I have for the last week been eating from the PCO diet, and I would really like to get friends in here who also follow that diet.

Best regards Mette
  • atrjohnson
    atrjohnson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed with PCOS earlier this year. Was put on more than one medication. I have taken myself off of it. The diarrhea was unbearable. I am now trying to stick to the meal plan my Dr gave me. I have not yet been able to get my calories that low but I am getting my carbs lower. She wants 80-100 each day. I am also hypoglycemic and have been this way since I was a child. Although since I was a heavier child, adults just told me I was being greedy(seriously). Now, I am the person that keeps snacks at work usual some type of nut or cheese because I know that I cannot go that long without eating regularly or my blood sugar plots vengeance.
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    I have PCOS and have found that lower carbs have helped me! :) I also have some Metforming laying around too, but don't take it much.
  • nicospoon
    nicospoon Posts: 5
    Options
    Have you manually set your carbs to 45% as recommended for pcos? Can't stress enough how important it is to stay within your sugar as that is a big problem for people with pcos and fuels the weight loss difficulty. Although I am not diagnosed yet, I am in the middle of tests and met 2 out of the 3 criteria so far (waiting for US to confirm cysts but blood tests already show imbalance) and have lost 15lbs in the last 8 weeks sticking strictly to MFP with a lower carbs allowance. In the past diets have not worked for me either so this is the first time I've had real success.

You mentioned you are BFing? I have heard a lot of woman say they can't seem to lose while feeding?