Food Myths, the Media & Lawyers (Oh My)

Options

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    that the culpirt is regulations and that the food companies are merely taking advantage of the "loopholes"
    This would be the view from outside the USA, the FDA's labelling rules have some laughable sillies in. Hence you get "zero calorie" claims that wouldn't stand up anywhere else, and the notion that Hershey's make chocolate.

It's good for entertainment, but not for people's health and wellbeing.
  • llsand
    llsand Posts: 87
    Options
    Read the first few pages and fast forwarded to the last and I don’t know when exactly this post became a “breast feeding” against “formula” post but it surprising…
    Anyway, I’m living in France and I must say that for years there was major breastfeeding pressures ( in the hospitals/clinics, by doctors and associations that are almost sects ). A year ago, a doctor actually had the guts to go on live television and contradict that information in a very intelligent way. He said that, yes, there’s nothing better than mother’s milk for the baby. But, no, in our society breastfeeding doesn’t make a difference because we do not live in a country were giving your child anything else but breast milk is dangerous. We have access to clean water, health and hygiene etc. He admitted that, the sad thing was, there was this indirect pressure by these pro breastfeeding associations for them to say and believe that it was better but nothing proves that it is except if you live in a third world country. This was huge over here, because for once an “authority” said that mothers had the choice, it wasn’t a wrong choice to breastfeed OR give formula. Funny enough, the pressures are coming off, clinics and Hospitals have almost given up on the breastfeeding fad and now and days the new “thing” is not getting ANY pain medication during birth because “it’s better for the baby”. (It’s especially better for the health system that has a huge deficit and is looking to cut cost everywhere).
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if Disney stops advertising. Kids see that crap in the store and beg mommy to buy it or mommy sees the bright colors and health claims and thinks its kid food.

The only, ONLY thing that will ever help is for parents to educate themselves on what their kids should be eating.

On second though, I bet if you couldn't buy that crap with food stamps sales would plummet.

I'm not a fan of food stamps. They taste horrible.

It may sound insensitive but... these companies have a huge base of uneducated parents subsidized by the government. If all of a sudden the government teat was taken away and FS money could only be spent on food that meets certain nutritional standards, the food companies would follow.

Its insanity that things like the solution above are obvious to us but not to the people in power... Its criminal actually...
  • llsand
    Options
    Funny this topic was created just a few days after the equivalent of "Dateline" confronted two of the biggest food companies in the world about their labels. She asked them to justify why their health labels put in front of their products were misleading and manipulated so their products would look healthy. Most if not all of the interviewed people walked out on the reported when they realized she was asking though questions. They spoke about a law that was passed in the UK were the labels were changed so that the contents were more clear to the consumer. The principal is easy, it’s based on the “traffic light” logic : red, yellow and green labels. The more you have red labels, the more fat and sugar a product has, the more green labels the healthier it is etc. Easy. That was bad news for the big companies because things like the cereal you talk about in the topic would have almost all red labels on it. But no no. They did everything to stop the law from passing here in France, they won.
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    im going to be a lawyer soon (:
  • fatchiick
    fatchiick Posts: 105
    Options
    It may sound insensitive but... these companies have a huge base of uneducated parents subsidized by the government. If all of a sudden the government teat was taken away and FS money could only be spent on food that meets certain nutritional standards, the food companies would follow.

Generally There is no more education on nutrition in the purchaser of these items whether they are on public assistance or not... I just find it odd that, that was the base of your argument. I feel like it has no merit and is only used to convey your opinion that you think parents should only be able to buy what? Fresh produce, meats and grains in there natural form? Or the garbage but just the store brand? I don't see why the already under privileged shouldn't be able to buy general grocery items like anyone... they should be held to the bare minimum because its free to them?? I never get the no cereal or pop tarts for the poor or only the knock off.

Someone got 2.5 million????? I mean you can fortify anything with vitamins.. you can put vitamins in sugar and call it healthy. My concern is more for the general public those who are on fs or not, that think this stuff is healthy and they can have another serving. And for those who don't actually know what a serving is, 3/4 of a cup id not getting measured out... I think it should be illegal to have a serving listed as less than what a person would generally eat.

To the above poster maybe a little education on what would be better choices and how to make there dime go a little farther would be better than to leave a person ignorant and take from them. jmo
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Read the first few pages and fast forwarded to the last and I don’t know when exactly this post became a “breast feeding” against “formula” post but it surprising…
    Anyway, I’m living in France and I must say that for years there was major breastfeeding pressures ( in the hospitals/clinics, by doctors and associations that are almost sects ). A year ago, a doctor actually had the guts to go on live television and contradict that information in a very intelligent way. He said that, yes, there’s nothing better than mother’s milk for the baby. But, no, in our society breastfeeding doesn’t make a difference because we do not live in a country were giving your child anything else but breast milk is dangerous. We have access to clean water, health and hygiene etc. He admitted that, the sad thing was, there was this indirect pressure by these pro breastfeeding associations for them to say and believe that it was better but nothing proves that it is except if you live in a third world country. This was huge over here, because for once an “authority” said that mothers had the choice, it wasn’t a wrong choice to breastfeed OR give formula. Funny enough, the pressures are coming off, clinics and Hospitals have almost given up on the breastfeeding fad and now and days the new “thing” is not getting ANY pain medication during birth because “it’s better for the baby”. (It’s especially better for the health system that has a huge deficit and is looking to cut cost everywhere).

Breastfeeding is a "fad'? And using the evidence of what a single doctor said, well, not exactly a strong argument. But regardless of that, according to you he *still* said that breastmilk is best, but there's nothing dangerous about not breastfeeding. So, if breastmilk is best except in rare circumstances and if a mother *can* breastfeed, then why wouldn't she and why shouldn't the healthcare industry promote it?

And the new "thing" is no pain medication during birth? Women have been giving birth since the beginning of humanity using either herbs and/or meditative-like techniques to manage pain rather than chemically concocted pain relievers and the traditional way is the "new thing"?
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options

Breastfeeding is a "fad'? And using the evidence of what a single doctor said, well, not exactly a strong argument. But regardless of that, according to you he *still* said that breastmilk is best, but there's nothing dangerous about not breastfeeding. So, if breastmilk is best except in rare circumstances and if a mother *can* breastfeed, then why wouldn't she and why shouldn't the healthcare industry promote it?

And the new "thing" is no pain medication during birth? Women have been giving birth since the beginning of humanity using either herbs and/or meditative-like techniques to manage pain rather than chemically concocted pain relievers and the traditional way is the "new thing"?

Hmm. I don't think breastfeeding could be considered a "fad," anymore than the wheel could be considered "cutting-edge technology."

Humans, as a species, have been breastfeeding for like... several years now. ;)
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    Science has proven breastfeeding, if you can, is best.

End debate.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if Disney stops advertising. Kids see that crap in the store and beg mommy to buy it or mommy sees the bright colors and health claims and thinks its kid food.

The only, ONLY thing that will ever help is for parents to educate themselves on what their kids should be eating.

On second though, I bet if you couldn't buy that crap with food stamps sales would plummet.

I'm not a fan of food stamps. They taste horrible.

I agree. Food stamps should only be able to be used for fresh, raw meats, vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, etc.

No packaged breads, crackers, cereal, cookies, soda, processed foods (boxed or frozen). The only exception is frozen fruits and vegetables.
  • llsand
    Options
    Let me clarify certain things. Regarding the breastfeeding being a “fad” : Don’t know what has happened in the US regarding this, but, over here ( France ) for years some ( not all ) doctors would basically tell you that if you didn’t breastfeed you were putting your baby’s life on the line. Nurses in hospitals and clinics would make you understand that you didn’t have a choice, that if you didn’t succeed it was because you were “not well” or “didn’t really want it in the first place”. If you asked for the drugs to stop the milk , they would just plain leave you in the room and come back later for you to breastfeed. I’ve seen girlfriends breastfeed their children with a look of disgust mixed with discouragement. What I liked about this doctor (and since then others have had the balls to do the same) is that he didn’t point fingers, he didn’t say that, in our society, one method was wrong or better than the other. He made it very clear that there’s nothing better than mothers milk because it’s what nature intended but, today, where and how we live, it wasn’t a matter of life or death, therefore, just a matter of choice. One of the journalist even went as far as asking him if people who fed their children formula were killing their children (they got a big no and frightened look from him). They were just asking the questions everyone was thinking ( for those who live in France the show I’m talking about is “ les maternelles” one of the biggest parents ( or parents to be ) show in France.

I agree with FreeJenni : If you can and i might add, if you want to : It is best

This subject could go on and on. So yeah end of debate ( at least from me)
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    Let me clarify certain things. Regarding the breastfeeding being a “fad” : Don’t know what has happened in the US regarding this, but, over here ( France ) for years some ( not all ) doctors would basically tell you that if you didn’t breastfeed you were putting your baby’s life on the line. Nurses in hospitals and clinics would make you understand that you didn’t have a choice, that if you didn’t succeed it was because you were “not well” or “didn’t really want it in the first place”. If you asked for the drugs to stop the milk , they would just plain leave you in the room and come back later for you to breastfeed. I’ve seen girlfriends breastfeed their children with a look of disgust mixed with discouragement. What I liked about this doctor (and since then others have had the balls to do the same) is that he didn’t point fingers, he didn’t say that, in our society, one method was wrong or better than the other. He made it very clear that there’s nothing better than mothers milk because it’s what nature intended but, today, where and how we live, it wasn’t a matter of life or death, therefore, just a matter of choice. One of the journalist even went as far as asking him if people who fed their children formula were killing their children (they got a big no and frightened look from him). They were just asking the questions everyone was thinking ( for those who live in France the show I’m talking about is “ les maternelles” one of the biggest parents ( or parents to be ) show in France.

I agree with FreeJenni : If you can and i might add, if you want to : It is best

Technically speaking, this thread never had anything to do with breastfeeding in the first place. I know the OP personally. He's kind of an *kitten*.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Nobody has said in the thread that NOT breastfeeding makes you a terrible monster. It has been pointed out several times that there are circumstances which doesn't allow women to breastfeed. What you wrote is a problem with patient care, not the science.

Also there is a person in this thread calling peoples mothers A**holes for breastfeeding rather than using formula so I think you might have gotten mixed in with all that too :)
  • Emilina79
    Emilina79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yeah I can't stand misleading labels. Like when its "virtually fat free" but the sugar content is way higher than average and as sugar is empty Cal, if you don't burn that its gonna turn to fat.
    In Kellogs defence, they do taste nice and in my weaker moments I kinda like being lied to so I can indulge without the guilt-it's Prob not best for long term health though.
  • loneworg
    loneworg Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    im going to be a lawyer soon (:
    Damn! another one! I kid I kid! good luck to you:drinker:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Regular hamburger meat would cost $35 per pound if water used by the meat industry wasn't subsidized by the US taxpayer. It would cost $89 for a pound of protein from beefsteak, if water was not subsidized.

Source: Robbins, John. Diet for a New America, HJ Kramer Inc, California 1987

Ready to get off the public teat, guys? Cause I'm not. I like meat.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. Anything that advertises itself for children as WITH ADDED CALCIUM always sets alarm bells ringing as it is invariably processed to SH** and full of fat.

Same with children's drinks: ADDED VITAMIN C! Yeah, and 500% of their daily sugar limit.

Don't get me started on formula milk for babies.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    And if breastfeeding is a fad, it's a fad both my grandmothers were into in the 1940s, my mother in the 60s and 70s, and I was in the 2000s. It's a fad apparently every single mammal on the planet has been into for millennia.

So a nice long lasting one. I'm sure dinosaurs would consider it really try-hard, though.
  • fatchiick
    fatchiick Posts: 105
    Options
    lmao this reminds me of gummy candy and soda and the package will say 0 fat or fat free... I love when a package says fat free and its like 200 cals for 4 gummie bears lol... Also coke had white cans for Christmas and my co-worker was making an awful face with every sip and I asked her what was wrong and she said the machine gave me diet... I looked at her like she was nutso and said that's NOT DIET ITS JUST A WHITE CAN she said no it is diet look it has 0 fat... (lmao)I couldn't stop laughing I told her what soda has fat in it.. its basically just oil who want to drink an oily or thick soda... I mean I was rofl I felt so bad after but geesh to make a face with every sip and act like a regular coke was diet because of a can.. despite the taste really annoyed me...
  • carriecarrot
    carriecarrot Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    What is with all the self-righteousness? The person that said pizza is unhealthy really made my cringe. Everything in moderation people. It's probably NOT healthy to eat every low fat, vegetarian, and whole wheat either. I bet most of you think cheese wiz is terrible for you? Read this:

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2007/06/processed-foods-arent-real-food.html

Food is nutritious.