A little embarrassing...but I'm going to ask anyway!

Options
Okay...so here it goes...I've been on this diet (which I don't really like the word) for a week and a half and have found much inspiration, advice and motivation - you guys are the tops! I have lost 5 pounds and celebrated eating a kiwi, the whole thing...not just a slice *WOOT*
I've been eating within my calorie range, fruits, spinich - like crazy - fish (sardines and tuna), I stopped bad starches, fried food and picked up a lot of exercising. Okay now I'm procrastinating.....

Anyone have trouble not having a BM? Once for me (well almost significant)...but really? I used to gety excited about eating a cheeseburger...now I just want to poop! Any suggestions on what I can eat or drink (naturally)?
Sorry to have to post this ....but I am clueless...I thought yes Buy fruits and toilet paper...but its a no go!

Thanks in advance for any advice

Replies

• DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    This is my 3rd week, I need answers too!!!! I used to be regular, every morning, now maybe every 2 days. Help.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    A bit more fiber will probably help...whole grains, beans, etc. Also...drink lots of water!
  • JMNealer
    JMNealer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lots of water and maybe add some raw or roasted no salt almonds to your diet. Don't forget exercise and stretching
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Yes. I eat 1/2 cup of prunes every day for a morning snack and that gets things moving, coffee works for me too.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    You probably need to drink more water. Also eat linseeds/flax seeds as they secrete oils in the gut which coats stool. Could also try eating pears or raw peanuts as these seem to "loosen things up".
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I track my fiber and usually am over but still have trouble sometimes. I find if I'm not eating enough fats, that I can't go. I add avocado to my sandwich and use coconut oil or olive oil for dinner or in tea. If all else fails, natural senna supplement and lots and lots of water.
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Prune yogurts and fiber. Green grapes as well :) And of course, lots of water.

But I'm not kidding about the prunes. Yeesh.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    last resort, glycerine suppository. I know, yuk, but it is a last resort. In the same aisle as Dulcolax.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    It was an adjustment for me too ... now I eat brown rice probably ~5 times a week with dinner and haven't had any trouble since I started doing that.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Prune yogurts and fiber. Green grapes as well :) And of course, lots of water.

But I'm not kidding about the prunes. Yeesh.

This-throw some chia seeds in the yogurt and complete the prunes and green grapes with some pineapple. Enjoy your water with a hot cup of coffee or tea too.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water, that will help.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Skin of any fruit that is edible is also usually high in fiber. When you eat an apple or pear, eat the skin with it. I've also heard that potato skins are really high in fiber. There are also fiber supplements you can get if you're willing to go that route.

I forgot about grapes as well. They have a lot of fiber in the skin.
  • Melampus
    Melampus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have to say I am a little puzzled - normally healthier eating makes you regular but it can sometimes take time for the digestive system to adjust to new things. I'd second the suggestions of drinking plenty of water and eating enough fibre and it is far better to be able to sort this with such things rather than having to turn to laxatives but if you have no other option laxatives are often available over the counter. Here sena and lactulose seem to be popular.
  • vxxtoria
    vxxtoria Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Organic Smooth Move Senna Tea. I've heard great results from many people!
  • kerr2010
    kerr2010 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    For me it is one cup of coffee with breakfast and the problem is solved within 20 min.
  • Steph7x
    Steph7x Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Green tea with sliced lemon drink it...it clears you out!! if on the off chance that doesn't work when i was pregnant i had to have prunes and yoghurt but prunes are vile :sick:
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Your body is most likely just adjusting to the change in diet. It does take a couple weeks. Good chance you're also eating less food so there is less volume going through you. Fiber and water will also help.
  • dancinrascal
    dancinrascal Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Literally my life story.......I'm constipated 90 % of the time, but I eat prunes, take extra fiber, drink A LOT of water, and have noticed that drinking hot coffee or chai tea has helped. I also noticed that almond butter makes me poop as well.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Okay...so here it goes...I've been on this diet (which I don't really like the word) for a week and a half and have found much inspiration, advice and motivation - you guys are the tops! I have lost 5 pounds and celebrated eating a kiwi, the whole thing...not just a slice *WOOT*
    I've been eating within my calorie range, fruits, spinich - like crazy - fish (sardines and tuna), I stopped bad starches, fried food and picked up a lot of exercising. Okay now I'm procrastinating.....

Anyone have trouble not having a BM? Once for me (well almost significant)...but really? I used to gety excited about eating a cheeseburger...now I just want to poop! Any suggestions on what I can eat or drink (naturally)?
    Sorry to have to post this ....but I am clueless...I thought yes Buy fruits and toilet paper...but its a no go!

Thanks in advance for any advice
    Tracking fiber can really be helpful, I'm not sure we all realized how little we likely took in before making healthier choices. Fast foods, white foods (white rice, bread, pastas etc.), have little to no fiber in them as it's been removed when processing. Yes junk food does keep a person somewhat 'regular' but it's not in a healthy way.

So many wonderful ideas have already been shared plus I have learned that it's highly recommended for Women to get in at least 40g of fiber daily. That is NOT easy unless you're tracking it, adding flax meal (ground flax seed), picking high fiber count foods, whether that be bread, beans, dried plums, nuts, etc.

Several ppl mentioned dried plums, add some almonds to that and you have a wonderful and healthy midday snack. When we change our way of eating to a more healthy one, being constipated is a problem some have. Just keep eating healthy and plenty of dark greens, yummy veggies, fiber fruits and nut butters, raw nuts etc.

But most of all keep drinking :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: plenty of water, it's such a healthy thing for our bodies in so many ways.

You'll be feeling great as the weight continues to drop, your body will feel better and you'll no longer have this as an issue.
    Many many ;have ask this same question on the boards in the past, no reason to be embarrassed, we don't know what we don't know, right, until we ask!? :wink:

:heart: Fabulous news on the weight loss, kudos to you for making your life a healthier one!!:bigsmile:

ETA:
    Personally I would recommend you NOT go the laxative route until you get a chance to see how adding more healthy fibrous foods into your meals works for you. Some may need them for other reasons but most of us don't, we simply want to increase the healthy foods that are high in fiber instead. As relying on chemicals when we actually might not need them can make our bodies dependent on them.:frown:

Just hate to have someone jump right into the drugs before they work on it in a healthier manner or with your doc if absolutely necessary. :flowerforyou:
  • DebbieJohanesen
    Options
    Your body may be adjusting to the different foods that you are eating now. Make sure to be drinking plenty of water every day. I deal with things like that all the time with Irritable Bowel constipation. Perhaps take a gentle laxative? Or Metamucil? I can't use a laxative, but I do use a stool softenerf (just a little capsule) every day. I hope that helps you. ....Debbie:ohwell: