Issues with losing, no gallbladder?

Options
Hi all, I have been diligently dieting for 5 weeks now. I was doing atkins for about 3 weeks and I lost 6lbs, I switched to low calorie because I had had success in the past doing weight watchers and this concept is much more similar. I have actually gained since switching and and now at 4lbs down total in 5 weeks. I am tracking daily as well as exercising much more than usual. Prior to this go round of trying to lose, I really wasn't doing much if any exercise.

5 years ago I lost 46lbs doing weight watchers in about 5 months. I was able to keep it off for about 3 years but over the last two I have been gaining it back and had gained about 20lbs back. The only different this time, other than being 5 years older is that I had my gall bladder removed 2 years ago....pretty much the same time I started gaining. Prior too I had always lost weight easily and fairly quickly. Doing a little research I found that many people without their gallbladders take daily digestive enzymes so I have started that for the past 4 days.

While my diet hasn't been great, it isn't terrible either (and much healthier than it had been) I have been staying close to my calorie goal of 1200 a day and I haven't been eating most of my extra calories earned for exercise.

I am quite frustrated and I would appreciate any help or advice as well and I would love to hear if anyone has had issues with no gallbladder and how they overcame that. I may be off track with the gallbladder thing but right now it is the only thing that is making any sense to me. BTW, I will be talking to my doctor about it but haven't been able to get an appointment yet.

Thanks!!!

Replies

• healthymewannabe
    Options
    I had my gallbladder taken out in May 2004. Of course, I've always been overweight so I never even considered that as a possibility as to why I struggle with weight loss sometimes. I hope you can find an answer for why you're struggling too. As for me, I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing and see how things go. I just have to be diligent. :)
  • mawray2
    mawray2 Posts: 13
    Options
    Though I have struggled with weight issues my whole life, when I became serious about eating well I could drop the pounds easily, now that the gallbladder is gone no matter what strategy I try it doesn't seem to be working...I did low carbs first and now doing low cal. Very frustrating...I did have a small loss yesterday though, but it didn't bring me back to my recent (as in last week) low but I'll count it as some progress-lol.
  • sleighbelle70
    sleighbelle70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had my gall bladder removed in 1994. I can't say that it has ever hindered me from losing weight. When I am focused and diligent in my efforts I usually lose weight. I have never taken any medication for my gall bladder. I hope you can find a solution to your problem.
  • hellokitty41489
    Options
    I had my gall bladder out three years ago (was overweight at the time) and have lost 39 lbs in the last 6 months without many problems so I don't really think that's your issue. I mean, I'm not a medical professional so I could be wrong, but I've had no issues related to that and this is my first time really ever trying to lose weight. When I stalled about a month ago, I tried what a lot of people try and upped my calories from 1200 to around 1500 (figured out my BMR and TDEE and all that jazz) and bam the weight started coming off again. I think for a lot of people 1200 calories just isn't enough so you may want to try upping them and see what happens for a couple of weeks.
  • SleepingBeauty12345
    SleepingBeauty12345 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i too had my gallbladder removed! i dont have any issues with the weight loss however i cant eat anything greasy! it wont digest at all.and i pay fot it later! mayo is a big no no for .me! but i still eat it from time to time! its very strange sometimes what missing this or that out of our bodies can do to us? lol.i even noticed when working out very hard,my hair felt very sticky and wouldnt come out. and it was just a guess but it might be related to not having a gall bladder.
  • Melampus
    Melampus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have had my gallbladder out too and it does not seem to be hindering me losing weight though I don't have previous attempts to compare with.

With a gallbladder your body has the means to cope with a really fatty meal in a run of otherwise lean meals and digest them all fully whereas without it maybe the really fatty meal won't be fully digested. I wonder how that could have any effect on weight loss. On the face of it incomplete digestion would mean faster weight loss. There are two possible mechanisms I can think of but this is pure hypothesising:

1. You track the calories for really fatty meals but don't actually digest them all and as a result you actually get so few calories you go into starvation mode.
    2. The digestion of fat affects the supply of fat soluble nutrients in a way that makes you hungry.

If either of these were true the answer would be to not include pig-out fatty meals in your diet and aim to have a little fat in each meal rather than lot in one meal and very little in others.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    If you're at 1200, which will already be below your BMR, and not eating all exercise calories back, your body may just need some more nourishment. Most women need more than 1200 for a sedentary lifestyle, not counting any exercise.

Try upping your calories to 1500-1700, depending on your BMR.
  • rebeccasedwards
    Options
    I too had my gallbladder out several years ago. I have to eat low fat or I pay for it. I have always watched my fat intake since then. I have not had trouble losing weight but being 51 I have to work harder to lose now.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I don't think the gallbladder has much to do with the issue. From what I read, without looking at yoru profile or your diary, but you said you are eating low calorie --- THAT is probably the problem. You are eating too few calories plus the exercising on top of it.

You need to take a look at your caloric needs - calculate your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) and your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). My experience is that we must properly fuel our bodies, keep our metabolisms strong. Must eat to lose. Eat above BMR, but less than TDEE.

Good luck !

JEN

My Blog: This Isn't My First Rodeo
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/harlanJEN

Active member of the forum group EAT MORE TO WEIGH LESS. Check it out ! Educate yourselves!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

Easy & Accurate TDEE calculator: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Mine came out in 1982 right after the birth of my first child. That's about the time I started gaining lots of weight. Although I suspect it was being pregnant twice that put the weight on me, it could have been losing the gallbladder. I've never heard of digestive enzymes, but would be very interested in what your doctor has to say about it. Please let me know when you find out. :smile:
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I've lost all my weight with no gallbladder (had mine out in 1994). If you think that may be an issue for you, you may want to speak with your doctor.

I would take harlanJEN's suggestion and make sure you are eating enough.

Sometimes just trying something different with your weight loss will get things moving. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is the gallbladder being gone that is causing the issue. I had mine out in 1998, and I have lost weight several times. The main function of the gallbladder is to hold bile until you need it to digest something greasy or carb or sugar, then it trickles out a steady stream of bile to digest the food. If you don't have a gallbladder, your liver dumps out a big dose of bile to deal with it, and your intestines push everything through super fast--that is why without a gallbladder certain foods cause loose stools. Not to be gross, but if you look at them, they will be bright yellow ( they also smell horrible).

the funny thing is, when I eat something greasy and I am eating a *normal* carb level, it makes me sick, but if I am eating low carb, I am pretty much OK. You might want to check with your doctor and see if you are insulin resistant....
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    eat more. 1200 calories is barely anything. dont make excuses.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    My gall bladder has been removed and I have no trouble losing weight. I have never heard of those enzyms before.
    But I would think your body is just adjusting to new methods. switching completely is hard on the body so give it time.
  • TammyW18
    TammyW18 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I had my gallon bladder out 15 years ago as a "side effect" of pregnancy...I found it has nothing to do with my weight loss or gain....the gain was a result of me being lazy :/
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    And another thing, I forgot, sorry.
    Boozt your daily intake to 1500. 1200 is too low and your body probable thinks you are starving him, you might stop losing weight for a while but your body would adjust. I say eat more, exercise more
  • TrinaHillier
    TrinaHillier Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear about the digestive enzymes as well. I had my gallbladder out in 2010 and I cant seem to do much with weight loss either.
  • stormyWI
    stormyWI Posts: 12
    Options
    I have a friend that had her gallbladder out recently. Afterwards, she went on WW and has lost 26 lbs now (probably in the last 3-4 months).

I really think 1200 calories is not enough and your body is holding onto the weight thinking it's in starvation. Especially if you aren't eating back your exercise calories. If you are exercising say 500 calories worth a day and not eating those back and still eating 1200 calories, that would be 700 net calories and that is just simply not enough.

Up your calories and see what happens.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    We should have a no-gallbladder club, but that might be a something a lot of us have in common. Your body still produces bile, there is just no soap dish. If you stay away from fatty dishes there should be no issues. I don't think it has much to do with my weight gain, I did that by thinking I was protecting my back by not exercising, and thinking I can eat like my husband.
    I found my back got worse the closer I resembled a jelly fish, and my husband is a foot taller than me, and is very much more active at his job then I am. He should be eating a 1000 more calories/day than me. I have stopped looking for excuses, and when I do my exercise, eat lots of healthy food (including most of my exercise calories) I have lost 20 pounds in 2 months so far.
    I am done making excuses for myself. My doctor doubted I would ever be able to run. As long as I wear good shoes and take it easy I can now jog.
    There are medical conditions that slow things down, like PCOS, hypothyroidism...... but when you view these things as hurdles that you need to adjust your stride to, then you can move past them. There are people here in wheel chairs that have lost weight.
    Focus on your motivations and don't lose sight of your goal
  • caseynicole88
    caseynicole88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i agree you probably need to make sure you are eating the right amount of calories... sometimes less isnt always more...
    I had my gall bladder out march 1st of this year- in the 3 years previous i put on 60 lbs and no matter what i ate or pills i took or exercise i did it was nearly impossible to change that number on the scale...
    Since having my gall bladder removed im a lot more concious of what i eat because if im not i get super sick..and ive been losing weight easier than ever...