Replies

• bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder in my coffee every morning but its warm, I have never iced it. I make plenty of cold protein shakes and I can't imagine making a mocha one would taste bad. Maybe it depends on the brand of protein powder.
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Options
    I add a scoop of instant coffee to my protein shake before my workout. I swear it gives me an extra "hummff" *lol*
  • tabby391
    tabby391 Posts: 9
    Options
    I have put instant coffee (1 serving-dry) into my protein shake (chocolate) and it is fabulous! Give it a try you may need to test the strength or add some splenda. Good luck.
  • BigAlfrn
    BigAlfrn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    sometimes i mix a cup of half coffee(black) and half chocolate protein shake(made with water) about an half hour to an hour before my workout and it gives me an extra boost.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've tried adding chocolate protein powder (Isopure 100) to my hot and cold coffee. It was pretty gross in the hot coffee, and okay in the iced coffe (but didn't mix very well, so I ate most of it with a spoon, after it stuck to the bottom/sides of the glass).

So, yeah, I don't do it... I just try to chug it with milk or I blend it into a fruit smoothie. Speaking of which, I have tried it blended into a coffee smoothie (like a frappuccino or whatnot...that might work...)
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I use vanilla whey protein, and it tasted totally NASTY in hot coffee.

I've added it to iced coffee and iced mate and that was very good.

Maybe instant coffee with chocolate protein and milk in a blender?

Sorry, you may have to experiment. :)
  • B_Running
    B_Running Posts: 158
    Options
    I do this a lot, however you have to do it with iced coffee. There is a weird chemical reaction between the heat and the protein powder that makes it curd up and completely ruins a good cup of coffee. I make a big pot of coffee at the start of the week, throw it in the fridge, every day poor it over ice with protein powder and it's great. No cream or sugar needed!!!

p.s. I use vanilla whey isolate!!

I second this -- the heat seems to make the protein powder chunky. It does not mix well. I read about people doing it (on MFP) and I don't know what kind of protein powder they're using, but it's certainly not the same kind as me, lol.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    in my experience if you put protein powder into hot coffee it will cook it into a lump of what resembles wet cardboard.

Ewww,this totally happened to me when I had the brilliant idea of adding it to my a.m coffee. Effing disgusting! So now I just blend it with ice and vanilla whey...totally yummy. :)
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I just had one. 1 c. unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 scoop ON chocolate whey, 1 tbsp coffee creamer, 2 packets Stevia in the Raw, 3 tbsp All Whites and a splash of cold coffee (I always keep a pitcher of coffee in the fridge). Pretty tasty.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm in the habit of adding instant coffee to my protein shakes.

I use the Rainbow Light Vanilla Protein Energizer which is great except that it has stevia in it, which I don't like the flavor of. Folgers instant takes care of the problem.

Happy shaking!

This is what I do too, but I use chocolate, cappuccino, or mocha protein powder.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    One tip for mixing hot drinks--

put the powder at the bottom of a DRY cup. Add the liquid slowly, mixing constantly, stop pouring when it's about 1/3 full and mix mix mix. Then keep adding the rest of the liquid, slowly, mixing, and it should be pretty well mixed in.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    in my experience if you put protein powder into hot coffee it will cook it into a lump of what resembles wet cardboard.

Ewww,this totally happened to me when I had the brilliant idea of adding it to my a.m coffee. Effing disgusting! So now I just blend it with ice and vanilla whey...totally yummy. :)

Now I will make the shake and add coffee to the already blended shake, works fine...it's not hot, but its better than the hot mess i created that one sad day.
  • cameralinds
    cameralinds Posts: 239
    Options
    I DO IT! It's delicious! Make sure the coffee is cold before you put it in the blender though, it makes the consistency better. Add a touch of creamer to make it sweeter. :)

I wouldn't steer you wrong. I'm a coffee aficionado myself and would never waste perfectly good coffee. :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    don't cross the streams
  • gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have my morning coffee (to wake up) and then a nice protein or green smoothie shake. This keeps me full until lunch.
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    I add 1 scoop of Optimum Nutrition Double Chocolate Gold Standard Whey Protein to my coffee every morning along with a little almond milk. Tastes similar to adding powdered hot cocoa to your coffee. Tasty and an easy way to get some calories and protein in the body before my morning workout.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    At the coffee stand I go to, the barista there concocted me a protein shake with 2 shots espresso, some granita mix, nonfat milk and a scoop of double chocolate protein powder, and it's delish. I've never added protein powder to my coffee at home though. I think the only way it would really work is to do a blended iced coffee, like she does.

It's my treat to myself when I work Saturday mornings. I feel like I'm getting a frappaccino (I'm sure I spelled that wrong, don't really care right now) but getting some morning protein.
  • nyteyz82
    nyteyz82 Posts: 43
    Options
    Heat / hot fluids react with the protein in. Best to get an unflavored protein powder and use either add this to cold coffee or add instant coffee to the protein mix.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    How 'bout bulletproof coffee?
    http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

recipe is part way down the page