depression

Options

Replies

• mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Prozac & exercise....every damn day!! I take meds....and praise God for EM!! God gave us intelligence to be utilized! Yes some man made things are wrong...but He willed that we discover uses for things HE created to better our lives in order to glorify HIM!
    Drugs...FTW
  • Moviedust
    Moviedust Posts: 110
    Options
    bump
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I feel totally comfortable posting this on here because I don't really have anyone to talk to outside of here.

I suffer from some pretty severe depression. I do not take medication, simply because I don't believe in it. Yesterday I was awake for about 5 hours of the whole day, and did nothing. I recently quit a really ****ty job with the worst micromanager. I have amazing skills and constantly feel underutilized. (p.s. I still work part time at two different jobs, but it is on call and the time between shifts is unbearable). I am engaged to a wonderful man. I have no friends, and it is not like I don't try. I just find people to be totally selfish and I hate putting in so much effort for people that can only talk about themselves, are sexist, racist, and overall to me boring. Although, I still put in effort because I hate being alone and I am a party girl at heart.

All of this impacts my health. I don't know why I get up in the morning so I don't even know why I exercise or eat healthy. I try, I really do.

Does anyone else have an issue like this? I am looking for tips at dealing with this and seeing a doctor is not an option (or a counsellor, I work in the mental health field and know way too many people at almost every agency in the surrounding area).

Thanks for reading, if you did!

I don't mean to sound cruel but maybe since you "don't believe in" medcation you haven't hit your lowest. I encourage you seek treatment before you do.
    I wouldn't wish those dark days and hopeless nights on anyone.

i know far more about medication than someone who just takes it....i work in the mental health field and see people turned to zombies, taking tonnes of pills from 16-60. thanks for your opinion, but it is SO far off base.

I don't work in the mental health field, but being in my brain is work because of my mental health. I have decided to stop taking my antidepressants because it seems they make it worse. I agree with you, OP, meds may work for some, but for some of us they're bad news. People who like them, yay for you. But I'm afraid my friends who get my midnight texts would agree that they just don't work well for some of us. I just stopped taking my 8th one. They have all effected me negativel.
  • ampatche
    ampatche Posts: 6
    Options
    exercise. exercise. exercise. i could not encourage this more.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    A little tough love here, based on what I'm reading from you, the OP, in this thread:

You don't want to take medication because you 'don't believe in it'.

You don't want to see a counselor or doctor because they are, in your opinion, goofballs and unqualified to help you.

Your attitude is poor. You're excessively negative about most everything (normal for someone who suffers from depression). You're dismissing suggestions that might help you. And you're turning to MFP, a group of strangers most of whom have zero training in psychology.

Based on all that I'm reading, in my opinion, you simply don't have the humility, the metacognative skills, and therefor the ability to pull yourself up and out of your depression on your own.

In my opinion, you will not get better until you humble yourself, ditch your negative attitude and negative assumptions, find a good counselor and/or phycologist regardless of your objections, and follow their treatment program, including taking your meds as prescribed.

Until you swallow your pride, you will continue to be miserable. You will continue to hurt. And you very well might destroy your life. You already are destroying your life- you reject every possible friend because they're selfish, of boring, or whatever (it's not rational to think that everyone is horrible).

I've been there. I've done it. I've made poor choices due to depression that were difficult to recover from. And I'm a smart cookie. Not to sound arrogant, but if someone can think there way out of depression, I should be able to do it. I can't do it most of the time. I rely on professional help AND medication when I need to.

I'm not saying all of this to be mean, though it will come across that way... but seriously, MFPers aren't the answer. Professional help is regardless of your objections.

By the way, I know some counselors are flakes. I've been to half a dozen of them. It's worth it to search until you find one you like. Then stick with that one.
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I am 54 and on medication for depression (two actually) and when I was younger I was on medication for ADHD so I have been on medication for most of my life. I tried my very best to go without depression medicine and I cannot even stand to be around myself when I am not on it. I am also a Christian and will not push religion on anyone but I do believe in prayer.

I hope you do the right thing for you and for your fiance before it gets worse. I also have been through a lot of counselors but they do help. My depression is being handled by my primary care doctor so you may want to go that route also. I have also found that exercising helps also even when I don't want to.

You may also add me if you would like to. Please think about what we have all been telling you.

Hugs my friend
    Bev
  • Maisy1emma2
    Options
    Symptoms of depression can be sadness, unable to motivate to do things, irritability, and even problems tolerating or getting along with others. Only a qualified doctor or therapist can give you a definite diagnosis, but it sounds like you might really be depressed.

I've suffered from chronic major depression my whole life but was diagnosed 15 years ago. Depression runs in my family, I inherited it from both sides. I've also worked in the mental health field for many years. I know it sucks. But you have a couple of choices in how you handle it. Contrary to what some folks on here have said, most people with this illness are helped most by both medication and therapy. Find a good therapist. There are lots of bad ones so keep looking until you find someone you are comfortable with and can build a good theraputic relationship with. As for meds, they save my life. Literally. I take low doses of two meds that enable me to manage my illness. I've tried several, some gave me side effects. It took a while to find what works. Most people have to try several before they find what works for them. A good doctor (psychiatrist) who can help you manage your meds is essential.

As far as "not believing in taking meds..." You'd take medication if you had type 1 diabetes right? or some other illness? You describe yourself as a party girl, which tells me you are willing to put alcohol (a drug) into your system if not other mood altering substances. Anti-depressants are also mood altering drugs used as medication. Most people with depression have a chemical imbalance in their brain. Meds can help even this out. It's an illness. All the "just change your attitude" and "willing" yourself to be better won't work. And, it's an illness with a high rate of death. Yes, death. Depressed people are at a much higher risk of committing suicide but also engaging in risky behaviors that can end in death. It is a serious illness that for most people who really have it, doesn't go away without treatment.

Now for the good news.....lots of people heal from episodes of depression. They take meds and have therapy and start to feel better and can stop doing both unless they have another episode. Unfortunately, that is not the case with me. It is so deadly in my family that I'll probably be on meds for the rest of my life. I manage extremely well and haven't had a severe episode in years. I still have good days and bad days but the meds enable me to keep functioning on the bad days and prevent me from falling into the dangerous black abyss.

I feel for you. It is hard to reach out so you have taken the first step. Congratulations! But you have to decide whether you want to try to feel better and if you do, be willing to seek treatment as well as work at having a healthy lifestyle with good food, exercise, and healthy personal relationships and connections. It takes work to heal and feel better. I'm glad I work to feel better because I want to feel good and live a positive life. I don't like feeling sad and miserable. But it is your decision to decide what you are willing to do to try and feel better. I wish you the best and hope you can start to heal. I'm happy to stay in touch if you would like to discuss your depression with me. I'm happy to share my experiences also.

Peace.
  • Maisy1emma2
    Options
    Hallalujah!

I can relate. Great advice.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I know you said no docs but ever get a rmr test done? They cant possibly find out about these problems by doing one and eating the right amount can definately help depression. Just a thought to look into
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Just remember everyday to be thankful for the good things in life and good things will come to you. I know that it's so easy to say that from the outside looking in, but believe me I have been through exactly what you are going through and I have never used medication. Today I am a happy and healthy person, don't get me wrong I did a lot of things to heal such as support groups, meditation, writing in a journal, and other tools to help myself break out of the funk I was in.

You need to remember that you are WORTH the effort and exercise you put into your body. If the people that you are used to surrounding yourself with make you miserable, do the opposite and hang out with someone that you wouldn't normally hang out with or go places to meet different people. We usually reap what we sow, and in my personal case, depression grew out of not having the ability to forgive myself for wrong choices and it grew into no self worth. Remember that before you can love anyone you need to be able to love yourself.

I am not against medication and think in many cases it is needed in order to help to change the brain patterns that cause the depression in the first place. Essentially I like to think of it as changing thought patterns. So here is my advice, get yourself a journal and think of it as a gratitude journal. Write in this journal 5 times a day something that is a small celebration. This can be as simple as "today I made a healthy lunch and it made me proud" or "today I am going to do something nice for myself". Simple things like that... open your heart to yourself and celebrate the good things you have. Our body is an amazing gift and we need to recognize the abuse that we do to it, but more importantly we need to show it and ourselves some gratitude.

You should check out local groups in your area, I just found one in my area that is about body image and it's an amazing support!

Much luck to you!
  • maljormn
    maljormn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can understand with you being in the mental health field and seeing what and how things are done, not wanting to go there for your support. This suggestion is coming from someone who is on meds to help me, but this suggestion is something that helps me because I'm not on the higher doses that 'they' think I should be on.

Here's what I suggest, logging into here is a good thing, will help you keep accountable at least for your food and exercise. Get yourself a journal or a notebook. Every night write something, anything. When you sit down to write if you have time, look back a few pages and kind of look at yourself from the outside. It might help you kind of diagnose yourself. Find where the sadness is coming from maybe?

If you need a friend to talk to or vent to add me and maybe we can push/support/help each other. I'm not here to judge you, I'm not that kind of person. I don't want people to do that to me so I'm not about to do that to someone else. If you want a little support when you can't find it, a push when you need it, or someone to just listen, I can do that.

Good luck and don't let those who felt the need to post negatively toward you, get to you, they have obviously never been down this road....
  • karen0214
    karen0214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Only a fool thinks they're smarter than a doctor. Talk to your family doctor, he/she can prescribe something, give it a chance.

Don't let this get worse.

I personally think you have doctos up on some sort of a pedestal. I am pretty sure that I am smarter than quite a few of them!! The OP says she works in the mental health field and so she probably sees ad knows a lot that most of us will never know. I know a lot of junk just from working as a pharmacy tech at a long term care pharmacy. Oh boy, if some people only knew.......
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with depression. I took meds for a while, but they didn't actually help. They just made me think I was ok. (When you're calling your best friend every week in tears because you are so miserable, yet you believe you are fine, something is not right). I have mostly overcome my depression now. This is what worked for me:

Birth control -- From puberty on I've had horrible mood swings because of my hormones. Getting on bc reduced my depression by about 60%.

Vitamin D -- I take a calcium and D supplement, plus a multi-vitamin, and I make a point to get out in the sun on a regular basis. D can help improve your mood, plus it helps with calcium absorbtion.

Iron -- I have mild anemia, which causes fatigue, and if I don't treat it, that fatigue can lead to depression. I take a multi-vitamin for this, as well as making sure I eat red meat at least twice a week.

St. John's Wort -- This is believe to mimic the effect of anti-depressants on the brain, only it's not as strong and (at least in my experience) doesn't have the negative side effects. Check with your doctor before taking it to make sure it doesn't react with any of the medications you might be taking.

Exercise -- I do yoga, and it helps me a lot. Exercise will get your endorphins going, and yoga works great for me for letting go of stress.

Sleep -- Getting the proper amount of quality sleep has made a big difference for me. When I have trouble sleeping, I listen to Dr. Jeffrey Thompson's music (it's kind of new agey, but it does the trick for me). I also had to make sure I didn't get too much sleep, as it makes me feel sluggish and depressed. I avoid taking naps and I make sure I don't sleep all day on my weekends.

Social interaction -- This has also helped me a lot. I feel better when I get out on a regular basis and interact with other people. Getting out by myself helps too. Just getting off my butt makes me feel better.

Nature -- Exposure to nature is turning out to be a rather effective treatment for some psychological issues (check out Last Child in the Woods; it's easy to read and has tons of references). I go out an tend a garden almost every day. Sometimes I'll just sit outside for a while, and I'll feel much better.

This is what has worked for me. It may or may not work for you. If you want to beat your depression, I know you will find a way to do it. Good luck!
  • etay888
    etay888 Posts: 17
    Options
    I have been in your shoes. I recently went through a bought of severe clinical depression and I can tell you from experience that nothing will magically change. I resisted medication for a long time because I had a bad experience on Zoloft (WAY to strong for me) I also tried counseling and found that it ddn't work for me because I knew my issues, I wanted ACTION.

The best thing anyone ever told me was that depression is an ILLNESS. It is treatable just like the flu. Unlike the flu, left untreated it will not just run it's course and go away. It will continue to get worse.

So, where does that leave you? I suggest trying to reach out past your bf and with other people who are going through something similar. All of humanity are not selfish, horrible human beings. To love others though you have to at least LIKE yourself. So whether you choose homeopathic alternatives, like exercise, eating right, yoga, and positive thinking exercises, OR you choose professional help please do SOMETHING. Life is passing you by, and you deserve to enjoy it.

Side note- My doctor (family practice one not psychyatrist) has me on a low dose of Cymbalta, which balances out my brain chemistry without having me walk around like a peppy cheerleader every second of the day. I highly recomend looking into it as it is milder than zoloft, prozac, and others.

I truly hope you start to feel better
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Good list on how to naturally deal with it. I don't know about the BControl, though I think that would mess my hormones too much, personally.

I would add salmon oil to that list. I also take 5,000 IU's a day of vitamin D and notice a huge difference during blecky months.
    A light box for dreary months helps (natural light).

Find things you like to do, people you do like to hang out...it's trial and error. I joined a bunco group. I got together with moms in my area and now we all hang out, and have our kids play together, etc.

Think about stuff you have to feel good about each day. Prayer for help elevating your mood helps. Pampering yourself like someone else said, bubble baths, etc. Dreaming about things...

Also I believe in a lot of underlying issues that should be looked at by a doctor. Does a person suffer from a hormone problem such as thyroid disease? If so, that causes depression and needs medication, treatment, etc. Low vitamin D or B (b12) levels can surely cause depression. Diabetes can, adrenal issues (too much stress), pain (fibromyalgia, arthritis, etc.), low iron (low iron levels such as ferritin even), even things you eat can affect you like msg or a food intolerance that you don't know about. Eating wheat if you have issues can cause problems, dairy, soy, etc.

Just some other things to think about is all : )
    I have dealt with depression. I took meds for a while, but they didn't actually help. They just made me think I was ok. (When you're calling your best friend every week in tears because you are so miserable, yet you believe you are fine, something is not right). I have mostly overcome my depression now. This is what worked for me:

Birth control -- From puberty on I've had horrible mood swings because of my hormones. Getting on bc reduced my depression by about 60%.

Vitamin D -- I take a calcium and D supplement, plus a multi-vitamin, and I make a point to get out in the sun on a regular basis. D can help improve your mood, plus it helps with calcium absorbtion.

Iron -- I have mild anemia, which causes fatigue, and if I don't treat it, that fatigue can lead to depression. I take a multi-vitamin for this, as well as making sure I eat red meat at least twice a week.

St. John's Wort -- This is believe to mimic the effect of anti-depressants on the brain, only it's not as strong and (at least in my experience) doesn't have the negative side effects. Check with your doctor before taking it to make sure it doesn't react with any of the medications you might be taking.

Exercise -- I do yoga, and it helps me a lot. Exercise will get your endorphins going, and yoga works great for me for letting go of stress.

Sleep -- Getting the proper amount of quality sleep has made a big difference for me. When I have trouble sleeping, I listen to Dr. Jeffrey Thompson's music (it's kind of new agey, but it does the trick for me). I also had to make sure I didn't get too much sleep, as it makes me feel sluggish and depressed. I avoid taking naps and I make sure I don't sleep all day on my weekends.

Social interaction -- This has also helped me a lot. I feel better when I get out on a regular basis and interact with other people. Getting out by myself helps too. Just getting off my butt makes me feel better.

Nature -- Exposure to nature is turning out to be a rather effective treatment for some psychological issues (check out Last Child in the Woods; it's easy to read and has tons of references). I go out an tend a garden almost every day. Sometimes I'll just sit outside for a while, and I'll feel much better.

This is what has worked for me. It may or may not work for you. If you want to beat your depression, I know you will find a way to do it. Good luck!
  • erikkasusann
    erikkasusann Posts: 104
    Options
    I've had better results from exercise & actively pursuing positivity (that sounds new-agey & nutty, but I just mean really thinking about what makes me happy & truly focusing on those things) than anything a doctor ever prescribed. I'm sad to read so may judgemental & quick fix oriented responses here, some folks just really don't get it I'm araid. Whatever your reasons are for not seeking a traditional medical treatment, they are yours. There are many other options. Changing your diet, keeping a journal, improving sleep habits, finding a fulfilling hobby, lots of things could help! Keep trying until you find what works. I think asking for suggestions in an open forum like this is smart & brave. You get to pick the good bits out of the responses from lots of people & hold on to what resonates for you, rather than just getting an opinion from one professional who may or may not be helpful. Best of luck to you!
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    why do so many people get off saying that people with depression "FEEL SORRY FOR THEMSELVES", i don't feel sorry for myself. that is a hoot and a half.

You kind of are when you make a post like the one you just did. And, before you even start with me - my mom's a BHT so I know what I'm talking about.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    there are qualities of people, it isn't that i haven't found them, it is that i haven't found any that want to spend any time with me...instead of themselves.

Sadly, given what I've read, it isn't too hard to see why :ohwell:

This stuff is great (for a non-drug alternative): http://web-us.com/l-theanine_anxiety_reducer.htm
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I feel totally comfortable posting this on here because I don't really have anyone to talk to outside of here.

I suffer from some pretty severe depression. I do not take medication, simply because I don't believe in it. Yesterday I was awake for about 5 hours of the whole day, and did nothing. I recently quit a really ****ty job with the worst micromanager. I have amazing skills and constantly feel underutilized. (p.s. I still work part time at two different jobs, but it is on call and the time between shifts is unbearable). I am engaged to a wonderful man. I have no friends, and it is not like I don't try. I just find people to be totally selfish and I hate putting in so much effort for people that can only talk about themselves, are sexist, racist, and overall to me boring. Although, I still put in effort because I hate being alone and I am a party girl at heart.

All of this impacts my health. I don't know why I get up in the morning so I don't even know why I exercise or eat healthy. I try, I really do.

Does anyone else have an issue like this? I am looking for tips at dealing with this and seeing a doctor is not an option (or a counsellor, I work in the mental health field and know way too many people at almost every agency in the surrounding area).

Thanks for reading, if you did!

You may not believe the medication works, but it really does. Sleeping all but 5 hours a day is not healthy. I tell everyone my best friend is PROZAC. It evens me out, allows me to live a decent life. I have faced a great many challenges in my life, when I was off of prozac I was a real witch riding a broom. On prozac I can handle the stress and it does not debilitate me. I highly recommend you find an anti-depressant that works for you.
  • suemoony
    suemoony Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've suffered on and off for years but mostly it's a downward spiral caused by boredom. Boredom = Too much thinking, too much time, too much negative thoughts. Keep busy busy busy BUT- when you have a down day, go to bed and put the covers over your head and sleep....We often beat ourselves up because we think we should be happy ALL the time....Give yourself a break, be miserable, allow yourself to sleep and don't feel bad or guilty about it, just sleep.

My advice would be:-

Cognitive Behavior Therapy, follow link below

http://www.abct.org/Home/

A daily dose of Omega 3 essential oils has been so beneficial to my recovery - follow link below

http://www.rebuild-from-depression.com/blog/2010/01/omega_3_and_depression.html
This discussion has been closed.