Meals Under 500 Calories

Options
123457»

Replies

• LoFoSho100
    LoFoSho100 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have found FABULOUS low-calorie meal ideas for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on PINTEREST! Ohhh how I love that site.
    Here's an easy (AND DELIGHTFUL) lunch idea (I could eat this for dinner too) that I found Pinteresting... under 400 calories.

BEAN AND GUACAMOLE BURRITOS
    1/2 cup canned low-fat refried beans
    1/4 cup salsa
    3 tablespoons prepared guacamole
    1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
    2 small (6-inch) whole-grain tortillas

*1 cup red grapes on the side
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Quaker Oats - Southwestern Chicken Barley Chili

Serving size 1 cup - 210 calories
    Carb - 29g, Prot - 19g, Fat - 2g

1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, no salt added,undrained
    1/2 cup salsa
    1 can (14.5 oz) fat-free chicken broth
    1 cup Quaker® Quick Barley
    3 cups water
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1 can (15 oz ) black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
    1/2 cup chopped green pepper
    3 cups cooked chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces(about 1-1/2 lbs boneless before cooking)

Preparation
    In 6-qt saucepan, combine first 7 ingredients. Over high heat bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans, corn, pepper and chicken; increase heat to high until chili comes to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for another 5 minutes, or until barley is tender. If upon standing the chili becomes too thick, add more chicken broth or water until chili is desired consistency.

Prep Time: 05 min
    Cook Time Time: 45 min
    Yield: 10 Cups

Nutrition Information
    Serving Size: 1/10 recipe (1 cup)
    Calories: 210
    Calories from Fat: 20
    Total Fat: 2
    Saturated Fat: 0.5
    Trans Fat: 0
    Cholesterol: 35
    Sodium: 250
    Total Carbohydrate: 29
    Dietary Fiber: 6
    Sugars: 3
    Protein: 19
    Vitamin A: 396
    Vitamin C: 7
    Calcium: 42
    Iron: 2

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/update_nutrition_facts/23061926?date=2012-06-17&show_controls=true

http://www.quakeroats.com/cooking-and-recipes/content/recipes/recipe-detail.aspx?recipeId=11450
  • emmuci
    emmuci Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Yup....i think after 1 hour or 2 hours i'd be stuck in the kitchen and searching for some filling snacks
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later!
  • hem8787
    hem8787 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I like tomato sandwiches. Two pieces of toasted bread, about a tbsp of Light Mayo with Olive Oil, 1/4 cup slightly melted parmesan or cheddar cheese, and big tomato slices. Then sprinkle the tomatoes with a tiny bit of salt and pepper. Yum!
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lilmzzgreeneyez
    lilmzzgreeneyez Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    love this thread. gave me good ideas. some of my meals are under 500 calories. they are in my diary on some days. i dont have time right now to write any up on here right now lol. but yea. great job everybody. but i have a serious question. does anyone else watch their sodium and sugar intake? it seems like im one of the few lol.
  • Aphrodite3010
    Aphrodite3010 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I personally love to have a cup of low fat vanilla yogurt with 1/3 cup macerated strawberries and 1/4 cup of my favorite vanilla almond granola and its about 250 cals total. It doesnt hold me over quite as well as some eggs do but its so quick and good and healthy to eat at work that I really can't beat it.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes made with skim milk and onion salt (35 calories/cup)

Just catching up on this thread (it was only up to the first page when I last read it)..........Genuinely interested to hear how you can get a cup of mashed potato for 35 cals? The amount of potato needed to make a cup full is higher than 35 even without any 'extra's' (skim milk in your case) added, so I'd LOVE to know how you're managing it cos I want to copy! :smile:
  • GCAsMom
    GCAsMom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Bump to look at later. :)
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I like making fattoush. I change it up a lot and use whatever veggies I have on hand but this is the recipe I started from:
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2009/09/recipe-for-fattoush-lebanese-crumbled.html

I normally replace the lettuce with spinach, omit the sumac because I don't have any, and use less olive oil (more like 1/8 cup). Sometimes to make it more hearty I chop up some chicken or fish and mix that in as well. It's good with strawberries too.. really anything you want to throw in can work. As long as you don't go crazy with the olive oil or pita bread, it's easily under 500 calories for a very large serving.

Thanks for this recipe I hope you post more.
  • abencase
    abencase Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have been having a lot of chicken fajitas and pizza for lunch

For Fajitas- Frozen chicken breast (110 cal) Tumaros Low Carb Tortilla (60 cals) Tons of veggies like spinach tomato onion peppers (usually contributes to about 50 cal) Salsa (5-10 cals depending on the kind you use) Fajita Seasoning (8 cal) Cumin (9 cal) Light Sour Cream (1T is 20cal) and about 7-14g of your fav cheese will put you anywhere between 30-55cal. Makes a HUGE Fajita all for under 300 cal.

For pizza- I use deli thin whole wheat rolls (100cal per roll for 2 mini pizzas) or A tumaro's tortilla (60 cal) Pastorelli Pizza Sauce (1/8 cup for 20 cal) tons of veggies again spinach, mushrooms, onion, peppers, tomatoes, garlic (again usually adds about 50 cal) Low fat skim mozzarella (about 60 cal depending on how much you use) and for the meat lovers turkey pepperoni minis (seriously taste just like pepperoni (.5oz for 35 cal) Bake for 15 min at 350 or just broil it if you sautee vegs first. Whole Pizza- 265 cal with tortilla or 310 cal with deli flats. So yummy!

I also have soup and grilled cheese. {Healthy soups and grilled cheese with Sara Lee Delightful (45 cal a slice) and sargento thin slices (one cheddar and one provolone about 40-45 cal a slice (remember they are super thin but filling)) and some sort of butter either smart balance or butter spray. All for 253 cal} Tuna Sandwiches/Wraps (with breads listed above) or Boca meatless spicy chik'n patties with ranch in a wrap (they actually do kinda taste like chicken they are best baked but do fine in a microwave

If you need a lunch on the go or do not feel like cooking ;) the frozen fully cooked tyson chicken breasts are the best! You can easily make a hearty salad (i like the spritzer dressings for full flavor but only 15 cal for 10 sprays) or eat it plain and add green beans cauliflower and broccoli. it also does really well with a stir-fry type meal with jasmine rice or forbidden/purple rice.

OP i loved this forum! I have been looking for some fresh ideas. I just try to take what i normally eat cut it and half and add lots of veggies. Hope I helped! Good Luck!
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    In response tot he breakfast in a cup - I do microwave scrambled eggs/frittata with 2 eggs, tomatoes, capsicum, onions and a slicre of chopped up ham and it works out to 360 calories - add 2 pieces of wholegrain bread and it is around 500 calories - I eat this before working evening shift 12.30pm to 9pm and it lasts me until 5pm lunchtime
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Janerf1
    Janerf1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Not a meal but this is a truly fantastic home made sauce! Courtesy of my Husband.

2/3 Tbspns of Olive oil (this mostly depends on your pan size you need enough to cover the bottom)
    2 tins peeled plum tomatoes
    1 pepper
    1 onion
    2/3 garlic cloves (dependant on your taste)
    1 stick of celery
    1/2 teaspoon grated ginger (I use the lazy ginger that you can get in a tube)
    Mixed Herbs
    Cayenne Pepper (again dependent on your taste)
    Chilli Seeds (again dependent on taste)
    Salt & Pepper for seasoning

1. Let the olive oil heat up while you cut up all your ingredients barring the tomatoes
    2. Add your sliced veg to the pan and stir for 5 mins to bring out the flavours
    3. Add garlic, ginger, cayenne pepper, chilli seeds & mixed herbs (I use pretty much a pinch of chilli seeds and cayenne pepper as I can't eat really hot things)
    4. Add both tins of tomatoes and bring to boil while stirring (you'll need to mush the tomatoes up a bit)
    5. Let the sauce simmer for as long as you like (I generally go between 30 mins - 1hr 15 mins)
    6. Add Salt and Pepper/other seasonings to taste
    7. Using a hand blender blend the sauce until relatively smooth.

You can store this in the fridge for about 2 weeks, I bought a sealing jar to store mine in.

This makes for me roughly around 8-10 servings as I don't like too much sauce. According to MFP it's around 80 Kcals if there are 8 servings in this. That was using the upper limit of Olive Oil.

Give it a try it truly is soooo much better than any other sauce you can buy and you know exactly what's in it!!!!!

Let me know what you think!
  • shewolfh2
    shewolfh2 Posts: 11
    Options
    I had a hamburger salad...lol. shredded some lettuce, chipped up some pickles, broke up a hamburger patty, and instead of salad dressing (i didnt have any) i sprinkled some rice wine vinegar over it...it was DELISH! definately one of the best salads i've had in a long time, low cal, simple, and GOOD.

grand total of 167 calories, VERY filling as you can practically use as much lettuce or other veggies as you want! I could have added another hamburger patty if i had wanted for another 150 calories, and still have been under 400 calories!
  • icemanxxxv
    icemanxxxv Posts: 20
    Options
    My Filling Breakfast

1/2 cup quick oats
    1/2 cup fresh blue berries
    1 Tbs Natural Peanut butter
    6 oz. Low Fat Light Vanilla Yogurt.

Cook Oats and Berries in water with a pinch of salt.
    Mix half the yogurt and the peanut butter in after cooking stir well
    Eat the remainding yougurt on the side. Yeuuummm!
    370 cals
  • shewolfh2
    shewolfh2 Posts: 11
    Options
    12 medium strawberries, sliced
    + 1 regular size banana, sliced
    = 145 calories

It was very filling, very yummy, and stayed with me for about 4 hours until lunchtime! I think I will see about tossing in 1/4 to 1/2 cup blueberries for a little extra!