Talk to me about birth control ...

Options
So, I've been eating well and working out for 5 months now and have lost no weight at all (despite trying a few different calorie levels each for a good month at a time) and it has occurred to me that perhaps my birth control isn't helping. I currently use Depo Provera (the injection) and it is well known that this causes weight gain, especially around the mid section (my problem area).

As a result, I'm off to the GP to research my options and, subject to his opinion, i'm thinking either Yasmin or Cerazette.

Was just wondering what the women on here used. What they had found caused weight gain. I'd like some real person info to arm me when speaking to my Doctor. :-)

Please share.

Replies

• Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    The pill def did not make it easy for ME to lose weight. I'm now on Nuvaring and have been losing weight. (granted i'm eating much better and and working out)
    If you think it's the hormones def inquire about hormone free BC methods.
    Best of luck
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I was on the pill for years (microgestin). Only after I switch to a non-hormon bc method did I realize that the pill not only caused weight gained and trouble losing weight, it was also causing my migraines.

I have had the Paraguard IUD for almost 2 years now and I love it. No hormones whatsoever and it is good for 10+ yrs.
  • letsgetskinny88
    Options
    hwhile many women don't gain weight many do. you have to keep changing hormonal options until you find the right one. if your contraceptive needs are more long term you should consider a minera iud...it has very low dose progesterone and it seldom causes weight gain as a s/e.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    I was on Yasmin for about 6 yrs. It is not one of the most recommended as it is linked to "Cancer". My doctor however did tell me that it is a small percentage just like anything in life and they have to "by law" say this if even 1 in a zillion had issues. I hated being on the pill and wish I would have got the deprovera shot instead once a month. (not sure if that is how you spell it..LOL). Yasmin was one of the lower dosed male hormone pill that is why my doctor put me on it. I have known a lot of gals to gain weight (some slightly) by starting the pill. Good Luck! :smile:
  • Devona14
    Devona14 Posts: 171
    Options
    I've been using Jolessa since March. During that time I've been able to lose weight. Granted, it isn't as fast as I'd like, but I'm still losing. And the great thing is only 4 periods a year!
  • MrsKillough
    MrsKillough Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've had implants for the last 7 years and they've had no impact on my weight at all - I've been everywhere from 120 - 155lb depending on my eating/exercising/stress levels - the usual stuff.
  • blazingmissp
    blazingmissp Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Each method will vary for everyone. I was on implanon and it made it hard for me to lose weight. I then tried paraguard, but not everyone can use that, and mine fell and got suck in my cervix >.< I then tried the ring, it was fine but I was always nervous about it falling out, so I checked it many times a day. Sorry but sticking my fingers in my vagina a few times a day made me want to switch again, lol. I am now on the pill, like I had been when I first started bc many many years ago. I am on a lose dose (karvia) and I have been losing weight with no issue that is birth control related.
  • KimBerLaE
    KimBerLaE Posts: 17
    Options
    I think many women experience weight gain with Depo. I've heard NuvaRing is a good option for weight management but it can be costly. Good luck!
  • letsgetskinny88
    Options
    i think implanon/minera iud are better options that OCP in terms of water weight gain. very subjective really. with healthy diet and exercise it should be ok.

wanna hear something interesting? while ocp increases risk of breast cancer it decreases risk of ovarian and uterine cancer ;)...
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I was on Microgestin 1/20 ffrom Jan to May this year. Although I didn't gain weight, I did notice a definate increase in my appetite, and, it was a lot harder to lose weight (probably was related to my appetite)

I also was extremely moody, depressed, and felt sad and tired all the time which is NOTHING like me. I felt like I was losing my mind!

Also it made my boobs grow (from 34C to 34D) which I did NOT appreciate.

I stopped taking it mid May... I feel like a new person - back to my happy, energized self. Looks like I will be just staying single for a while until I figure out what works.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Thanks all

Sadly I don't think a coil will be a good option for me, I have very painful periods which is why I went on the Depo in the first place and apparently coils can make all that worse.

Wish I could just get sterilised really, but it isn't something doctors are willing to do for a woman who doesn't have children.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    IUD
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    NFP/Fertility Awareness - no side effects.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options

Wish I could just get sterilised really, but it isn't something doctors are willing to do for a woman who doesn't have children.

There is a girl on xojane.com who just had this done and she had to just sign a waiver saying she had no intention of having children. She then had to sit through some seminar type thing that told her that if at some point in life she wanted to reverse the procedure and try for children, that it cost more and almost always fails.

http://www.xojane.com/healthy/tubal-sterilization
  • carrado1
    carrado1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about Natural Family Planning (NFP)? It's 99% effective, free, with no side effects! Just cost $25 for initial class. Basically, you learn when you're in the fertile period of your cycle and abstain during (which is really only a week out of the month). Pharmaceutical companies and doctors do not profit from this at all, so you won't hear it from them.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I found I put on most of my weight while on the Depo injection, not sure if it was linked as it's also the same time as I started drinking more (college/uni). I've been on Implanon for 2 years now and love it. Much easier than going every 3 months for the injection. Havent noticed any adverse side effects with it either :-) I hope you manage to find something that works for you xx
  • laurenbausch
    laurenbausch Posts: 146
    Options
    I was considering getting sterilized, and my ob/gyn agreed to do it, but I decided to get Paragard IUD instead because it is hormone free. My periods have ALWAYS been bad, and yup, they still are with the IUD. At first they were even worse, but now they seem to be about the same as they were before. After being on Implanon (bc implant placed in the arm), I gained 30 pounds. Even when I tried to eat right, the weight kept piling on. I also had pregnancy symptoms, severe depression, and anger issues. Ugh! I was a train wreck! If the IUD doesn't work out for me, I will get sterilized. Find a doctor who will do it for you if you truly don't want kids. I'm 27, and I don't ever want children. There are doctors who will agree to the procedure if you are adamant about not being a mother. Good luck!!! I LOVE the IUD 3 weeks out of the month.
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Thanks all

Sadly I don't think a coil will be a good option for me, I have very painful periods which is why I went on the Depo in the first place and apparently coils can make all that worse.

Hi,

I believe the mirena IUD, because it has a coating of progesterone, also stops your periods in the same way as the depo does.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Im on the same as you, but i dont think ive gain coz if it, i dont know if its making it hold on more mind, but i defo gain if i eat a whole lot more, Ive been on cerezzet before, came off it as it wasnt working right.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

There is a girl on xojane.com who just had this done and she had to just sign a waiver saying she had no intention of having children. She then had to sit through some seminar type thing that told her that if at some point in life she wanted to reverse the procedure and try for children, that it cost more and almost always fails.

http://www.xojane.com/healthy/tubal-sterilization

ooh, thanks! Will definitely raise to the Doctor then.