Help! Post Your Cheap, Easy, Healthy Lunches Here!

Options
I really need you guys' help. My boss just had a baby and wants to shed a few pounds so she has asked me to be in charge of our company's lunches! I have a 30 dollar a week budget to feed 3 hungry girls 5 lunches. They need to be filling, not just a salad. But the key here is healthy and tasty. I would really appreciate some ideas. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• furby1
    furby1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've just had a VERY late lunch and not only enjoyed it but feel full also......yes the basis was a salad but I sprinkled over it a very low fat ceasar salad dressing, grated some cheese over it, added half a tin of pink salmoln and it came to less than 250 calories...you could then have ryvitas or maybe bread sticks (about 22 cals each)...you could also make a fruit salad for afters :)
  • vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options
    Thanks furby1! Anyone else??
  • Apresner
    Apresner Posts: 32
    Options
    Salsa chicken: Throw chicken breast, salsa, and black beans in a crock pot. Cook till you can shred it, drain and serve on whole wheat tortillas.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Are you to prepare lunch or buy it already prepared?
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I like doing turkey lettuce wraps!

Pick lean ground turkey (whatever your budget will allow) and season it up however you like. I personally like garlic powder, onion powder, green onion, and a little salt and pepper (or mrs. dash). Throw in a few tablespoons (I usually add about 5 total in the end) of teriyaki sauce or lite soy.

Then, after I brown the ground turkey I throw in some veggies - carrots, bell peppers, onion, mushrooms and sautee them in the pan with the turkey to the desired crispness.

Then load up large pieces of lettuce with the stuff and you have a really really delicious lunch :) It holds up in the fridge really well - so if you wanted to make it the night before that's no problem :) Each girl should be able to eat at least two huge wraps if not more!
  • Jrflaw22
    Jrflaw22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cook one cup of long grain brown rice (dry). That will make about two cups cooked. Take one can of cooked chicken breast (213 grams) and split it three ways (71grams) and place into the bottoms of three 1 1/4 cup tuperware containers. On top of the chicken, I shake some cumin and garlic powder. Then fill the rest of the containers with cooked brown rice (about 2/3 cup each). Refrigerate. You have three days worth of lunches. You can use soy sauce or teriyaki sauce instead of spices. Its low fat, high protien/fiber.
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    My Mom pre makes rice and puts it in her Greek yogart with Vanilla and Cinnamon for her lunch....
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    My Mom pre makes rice and puts it in her Greek yogart with Vanilla and Cinnamon for her lunch....
    That actually looks pretty gross to me... but might strike your fancy!
  • vzucco
    Options

I have access to a full kitchen so I can cook or prepare anything, just can't spend a long time doing it because I have to get back to work. So they have to be easy.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    soups are great - low fat and filling.
  • vzucco
    Options
    Thank you guys, these are all great ideas! Please keep them rolling!
  • kylee_marie
    kylee_marie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i made some cous cous (bought a huge container at the farmers market for $2.50) added a little crumbled feta, grape tomatoes and sauteed spinach with garlic to it... then a few grilled shrimp. it was fabulous, very filling and cheap
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    My favourite at the minute is wholemeal pitta bread stuffed with ham, feta and spinach - it's a good combination of carbs protein and fat to keep me full all afternoon :-)

I've also done pitta with tuna salad in or egg mayo. All pretty cheap and dead tasty. I think I'd be lost without my pitta breads!! xx
  • bcattoes
    Options

I have access to a full kitchen so I can cook or prepare anything, just can't spend a long time doing it because I have to get back to work. So they have to be easy.

I'd keep whole grain wraps and green leafy vegetables on hand. Add to that tuna, chicken or egg (or tuna, chicken or egg salad), baba ganoush, hummus, or other bean dip, then add a few choppped/shredded veggies and you have a tasty, filly and healthy lunch wrap in just minutes.

You can also fill them with shredded chicken or refried beans, reduced fat cheese and salsa for a tasty lunch burrito.
  • skeck
    skeck Posts: 46
    Options
    I make a large version of this "salad" and eat it for a few days:

Chicken Breast (shredded)
    Garbanzo Beans - 1 can, drained
    Chopped Red Bell Pepper
    Chopped Cucumber
    Diced Tomato
    Chopped Red Onion
    Feta Cheese

Dressing:
    1/4ish cup EVOO
    A few table spoons red wine vinegar
    Dash of oregano

I don't measure much, I just throw things together until it looks pretty. It's best if you let it sit overnight. It's delicious & filling!
  • bcattoes
    Options
    soups are great - low fat and filling.

Yes !! Another great idea. Soups, stews or chili in a crock pot is super easy and healthy.
  • succesfullyskinny
    Options
    bump to read later :)
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Rice & beans are healthy, low-fat, filling, and cheap! Soak some black beans over night, throw them in a crock pot (I'd definitely have them invest in one if you don't have one) with some spices, and serve over brown rice. Fresh peppers and/or cilantro is a great topping.
  • 35gretch
    35gretch Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I brought my own chicen breast on taco day at work and made a chicken taco salad. I used their lettuce, cheese and light sour cream, adding my own chicken breast (I used half of one of the Hillshirt Farms Garlic and Herb breasts) and added a packet of 100 calorie Wholly Guacamole. Was super delicious and very filling. I crunched up my own lower sodium tortilla chips w/ lime flavoring on top, it didn't take that many chips to add a big crunch.

I also like turkey zucchini burgers made with ground turkey, shredded zucchini, bread crumbs and onion soup mix (I think)....I found the recipe on Pintrest was very yummy