Talk to me about birth control ...

Options

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i never had weight issues on the pill, i think its too easy to blame it for some people though.

i have an IUD and i love it.
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I switched from the birth control pill to Depo Provera because I was tired of popping that pill everyday. But I used Depo Provera for a few years, and never had a problem with any of the side effects. I loved the injection shot better than I did taking a pill everyday.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I've had a bit of a nightmare lately with Mirena. First one came away within weeks, replacement stayed put for 4 years with slightly lighter periods and no problems but had my 3rd fitted last September and had period pains for the first 2 months and endless periods which would just get lighter or heavier but maybe 1 or 2 days without bleeding at all a month. Had a scan and was told it was in the right place but that I had a small fibroid which was causing the bleeding, 2 weeks later the coil came away of it's own accord and since then my periods have been regular with no bleeding between - so must have been the coil and not the fibroid causing the problem. I'm just so relieved not to be constantly bleeding I can't face having another one fitted.
  • natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I use Loestrin Fe 1/20 (pill)
    Apparently it is the lowest possible dose of hormones, while still being effective BC. I am very sensitive to the hormones as well, but this pill doesn't affect me at all. I've been on it for 10 years and I'm very happy.

Good luck!!!
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I was on the mirena 5 year IUD and gained 50 lbs and couldn't lose it at all. Everyone is different though.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I used regular tricyclics (three-level hormonal birth control) and it made me CRAZY. I used one-level hormonal birth control as well, and it also made me crazy. I recently switched to low-estrogen pills and they make me infinitely more happy.
  • bkelley32148
    bkelley32148 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I also have the mirena and I love it!
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I use Loestrin Fe 1/20 (pill)
    Apparently it is the lowest possible dose of hormones, while still being effective BC. I am very sensitive to the hormones as well, but this pill doesn't affect me at all. I've been on it for 10 years and I'm very happy.

Good luck!!!

I'm on Loesterin 24Fe and I love it!

EDIT: There is a generic version, I was on that as well, works great :) I believe it's called Microgestin.
  • bparsont
    bparsont Posts: 50
    Options
    YAZ and YASMIN are in a class action lawsuit right at the moment and that leads me to believe that it is NOT safe to take either one of those birth control meds. An IUD seems safer than hormone manipulation.
  • skinnieminniemouse
    Options
    I am on Yasmin and it has been perfectly fine. I still bloat around the time I am due on but that is it. Make sure you are drinking enough water too :)
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    You really need to discuss your options with your doctor. Not every birth control is going to be the same for everyone. What one person loves and hasn't had an issue with doesn't mean you won't have issues with it and love it as well.

Here's a question: Is NOT taking the pill an option for you? I only ask because any sort of hormonal birth control that women take is not good for you or your body. It completely screws up your hormones in a negative way. I used to be on the pill and every time I got my blood work done I would have to ignore the hormone results because they didn't mean squat because of the pill. For the longest time I thought I had an under active thyroid. I was exhausted all the time, napped often for hours at a time. I could take a nap from 1-5 then go to bed at 8 p.m. and sleep the night through and wake up exhausted the next morning. There were weekends where I would wake up late -- like 9 or 10 -- have breakfast and be so exhausted just from that that I had to go back to bed and would sleep for most of the afternoon. I got my thyroid tested and it was normal. Last year I went off the pill and within a few weeks I felt 100% better and now the only time I nap is if I didn't sleep well or it's going to be a late night, and even then a nap isn't always necessary. Six months after getting off the pill I had my blood test done and my hormones were no longer out of whack. Sure I get my period when I'm on vacation (I loved the ease of being able to 'reset' my periods so that I wouldn't have them when we went away) but the way I feel off the pill is far better than the way I felt on it.

You honestly might want to think of something non-hormonal like an IUD but again it's something that you need to discuss with your doctor. Tell him/her about your issues and see what they recommend.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Thanks all

Sadly I don't think a coil will be a good option for me, I have very painful periods which is why I went on the Depo in the first place and apparently coils can make all that worse.

Wish I could just get sterilised really, but it isn't something doctors are willing to do for a woman who doesn't have children.

Mirena isnt a coil. Its a T. Most do not vave a menses while using it. It is used as an alternative for those with heavy periods.
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'm on Nuvaring - and I love it - I was able to lose almost 60lbs - though I've plateaued lately. :flowerforyou:
  • ericachristie85
    ericachristie85 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I take marvalon or apri with no weight effects. But I once took Seasonal, and ballooned up. It was a pill that you take for 3 months without a break. It was bad!
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    My experience...
    Implenon made my weight shoot up like 20-30lbs in 3 years. They had a super rough time getting it out too.
    I also have PCOS so that didn't help the issue either.
  • jadamuriel76
    jadamuriel76 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yes I have gained with DEPO. :-(
  • jenkidney
    jenkidney Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I use the Mirena IUD, and it has been great with lack of side effects. Plus I love that I don't have to think about it more often than every 5 years. :o)
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'v been on depo for 5 years...no change in my weight. I just started trying to lose weight, thought I may run into problems there, but I'm down 4lbs, in my first week.

Was on alesse for 5 years prior to that, but the migraines were awful, blacked out my vision, and made me throw up, at least once a week
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I would say that "Natural Family Planning" is a really, really bad recommendation. It is not as effective as the pill and really only an option if you want less kids. While it is more effective than nothing, a fertile woman will eventually get pregnant using this method. Here is a great, clear chart of Birth control effectiveness. "Natural Family Planning" is a "Fertility Awareness Based Method" on the chart.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/birth-control-effectiveness-chart-22710.htm

It depends on what kind of FAM you are using. Calender method is less effective than others. I have used sympto-thermal for 4 years now with no pregnancy and no issue.

From the PP Website you linked:

What is the Symptothermal Method?

To prevent pregnancy, women can keep track of their menstrual cycles and abstain from unprotected vaginal intercourse during their peak fertile times. The methods you can use to do this are called fertility awareness-based methods (FAMs).

One way that women track their fertility patterns is by combining several fertility awareness-based methods. This is sometimes called the symptothermal method.

Some women also track their fertility patterns when trying to get pregnant to know when they should have unprotected vaginal intercourse.
    Symptothermal Method

When women use the symptothermal method, they use more than one fertility awareness method at once. These methods include

Temperature Method
    Cervical Mucus Method
    Calendar Method

The signs of one method can confirm those of the other. This lets you be more accurate when you predict your safe days than if you use one method alone. For example, keeping track of your mucus pattern can be useful when your temperature chart is confused by illness or emotional stress. And you may be able to identify more days when you can have unprotected vaginal intercourse than you can only using the temperature method.

Using a fertility pattern chart helps women keep track of the signs of their fertile times.
    Post-Ovulation Method

Another combined method is called post-ovulation. All the days from day one until the morning of the fourth day after predicted ovulation are unsafe days. But this means that the safe days are limited to less than half of a woman's cycle.

Effectiveness
    Of 100 couples who use the symptothermal method correctly for one year, 0.4 (fewer than one) will have a pregnancy.

All that said, it may or may not be a good fit for the OP. I just hate it when people spread false information about NFP. I would suggest she look into something like nuvaring which is lower hormones and you don't have to remember it a lot.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I've been on Loestrin 1/20 Fe for about 5 years. I didn't gain weight because of it, when I have a period, it's light and I barely have PMS. It works for me...