Stay At Home Dad

Options

Replies

• jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    My hubby is a stay at home dad and has been for 3 years now. The last 2 years he's also been in school so we have his mom watch the kids a few hours a day. He would trade me in a heart beat - it's hard work! I actually think it works out well, especially since we have 4 boys, but I would love to be home. That's what I get for going to school first.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Lady worked full time at a meat processing plant and found the time to come home clean, cook, garden, etc.. no limit to what that women.. most women these days feel entitled to be a stay at home mom and send the kids to pre school, do nails, and shopping, and out drink me on the weekends? Love a women with a little motivation in life, highly unlikely in this century.
    [/quote]

Wow. You clearly have no idea what I do at home all day. I have one almost 3 year old daredevil and one almost 8 year old. Both active boys. The only time I get to work out is when the younger one is napping, and only then if I have the energy to do so. He was up at 1 o'clock this morning, and didn't get back to sleep until 2:30. Still had to be up this morning to take the older one to day camp. Plus all the housework and grocery shopping. Yes, some days I get to have a manicure (3 times last year) and sometimes on the weekends I may have a couple of drinks. Being a stay at home mommy is the hardest job I ever had, and I started working when I was 17, and didn't take longer than 2 weeks off until the last month of my first pregnancy at 33 years old.

Entitled to stay home? I don't think so. Blessed to be able to do so? Most definitely. But make no mistake. I work every day I'm here. And I love it.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHD. It's awesome. Will answer questions if wanted.
    What's it like to have to depend on your wife to buy the food, pay the mortgage, cable, electric etc?

Doesn't that emasculate you?

Yeah, that's a pretty ****headed assumption....I was a stay at home mom for 6 years. I also worked a third shift job while my kids were sleeping so that I could bring in additional money. Plus, I'd rather my children be cared for at home by a parent and one spouse "depend" on the other then pay complete strangers to raise my children and not do it in the way I want it done.

I'm saying that men need to step up and bring home the cheese. I'm sick of my pu$sy-fied generation where it's okay for the woman to work and send the kids to daycare. Women stay home and make cookies and raise children, when there are children. Men, bring home a fu$king paycheck (or two) and cover the expenses.

To quote Chris Rock (and it pains me to quote Chris Rock) "If a kid can't read it's the mother's fault, if the kid can't read because the lights aren't on it's the dad's fault."

I am sorry, I overestimated your reading comprehension skills. Either that, or you didn't bother to read my reply.
    Your question is a fallacy from the beginning. You assume you know how much money my wife makes, and how much I make. BUT, you don't. So, you have no idea who pays our bills.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options

I'm saying that men need to step up and bring home the cheese. I'm sick of my pu$sy-fied generation where it's okay for the woman to work and send the kids to daycare. Women stay home and make cookies and raise children, when there are children. Men, bring home a fu$king paycheck (or two) and cover the expenses.

To quote Chris Rock (and it pains me to quote Chris Rock) "If a kid can't read it's the mother's fault, if the kid can't read because the lights aren't on it's the dad's fault."

Why does it fall to YOU to dictate who stays at home with the kids and who goes out to work? Does having male genitalia make someone a better breadwinner, and does having a vajayjay automatically make someone a better caregiver? NO!

If a child is failing in school (can't read), or if the lights get shut off because the bill wasn't paid, it's the fault of BOTH parents...not just one or the other. With all that buck-passing and blaming, you should be a politician.

You sound like one of those guys that thinks all women should stay home, barefoot and pregnant, and wait on their husbands hand and foot. If you want blind obedience, get a dog!
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    *brb not working 12-14 hour days
    "Your kidding right. My kids get up by 7 am most days and don't crash out until 9pm. Nightmares, wet beds, are all my responsibility. And fevers or sickness that keep the kids up ALL night are mine too. You can call it overtime - so take $0 an hour and multiply it by 1.5 and add it to $0"

*brb not using all the free time on gym and cooking for the next day
    "Cooking for a bunch of people who are going to whine and waste a bunch of it is VERY rewarding."

*brb not having to do chores on the weekends and enjoying a weekend
    "I'm at a loss on this one. My kids don't magically disappear on the weekend, and I still have to feed, bathe, dress, protect, play, with them"

brb practicing my golf swing all day and making the tour
    "lol. just shaking my head, there are days when I feel proud to have showered and dressed properly"

I think you should think about the type of women you are hanging out with, and for GOODNESS SAKES don't have unprotected sex with them!!!
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    What's it like to have to depend on your wife to buy the food, pay the mortgage, cable, electric etc?

Yeah, that's a pretty ****headed assumption....I was a stay at home mom for 6 years. I also worked a third shift job while my kids were sleeping so that I could bring in additional money. Plus, I'd rather my children be cared for at home by a parent and one spouse "depend" on the other then pay complete strangers to raise my children and not do it in the way I want it done.

Excuse me, but as long as the children are well taken care of and loved immensely...who gives a **** who brings home the paycheck?? Being a stay at home parent doesn't mean you don't earn an income.

Are you married? Do you have children??
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    If you're going to lobby for a stay at home position, you might want to pull your pants up.

:laugh:
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    so this thread confirms that trolls are a good thing, right?
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    so this thread confirms that trolls are a good thing, right?

I may have baked up special little troll treats just to feed the trolls.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Single guy here but my mom always refused to stay at home, although kids are grown up now, but they still don't know how to pull their pants up.

Lady worked full time at a meat processing plant and found the time to come home clean, cook, garden, etc.. no limit to what that women.. most women these days feel entitled to be a stay at home mom and send the kids to pre school, do nails, and shopping, and out drink me on the weekends? Love a women with a little motivation in life, highly unlikely in this century.

Not my life at all. I have to work, workout, clean house, take care of the kids and pay bills alone.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options

2 things 1) Your screen name should be Fred Flintstone because you living in the stone age mentally
    2) Some stay at home dad's work from home like BAM here . Me and my partner both work I make more money then him and I buy all the food and housekeeping and HBC items and cook and clean. He pays power and water and basic internet bills. Because he wasn't as lucky as me to find a high paying job(I also work longer hours) but he is much more qualified then me.. Anyhow get your head out of your *kitten* dude!
  • Shannon2714
    Options

The only time I feel emasculated by my wife is when she plops out the strapon and her cowgirl outfit...:indifferent:

I like her! :wink:
  • BadCookieMonster
    Options
    I love it when people claim to be "stay at home" then 10-20 years down the road kids are all out of the house, and your stuck without a job. Your left with nothing because you chose a profession that requires no education, no authority to report to, and the overall lack of knowledge needed to even apply for a job. The only time i would agree with someone being a stay at home parent is if they had a baby. Lazy bums..
  • zela
    zela Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Single guy here but my mom always refused to stay at home, although kids are grown up now, but they still don't know how to pull their pants up.

Not my life at all. I have to work, workout, clean house, take care of the kids and pay bills alone.

Why do so many people feel the reason to respond to that comment if it doesn't apply to them? There is no need to get defensive if it is not aimed at you, the world does not revolve around you.

I regret the direction this topic has gone from irrelevant pants hanging too low to everybody is offended.

I'm not even mad though, wish there was a way to delete it but out I go from this topic.
  • Shannon2714
    Options
    I love it when people claim to be "stay at home" then 10-20 years down the road kids are all out of the house, and your stuck without a job. Your left with nothing because you chose a profession that requires no education, no authority to report to, and the overall lack of knowledge needed to even apply for a job. The only time i would agree with someone being a stay at home parent is if they had a baby. Lazy bums..

I somewhat agree/understand....however, I stayed home with my children until they began preschool. Prior to that, I wanted them raised by me. Once they both started school, I went back to work. I put being a SAHM on my resume so that employers would see why there is a gap. I have an amazing job that I love and it didn't matter that I took off work for those years.
  • _Stampede_
    _Stampede_ Posts: 66
    Options

The only time I feel emasculated by my wife is when she plops out the strapon and her cowgirl outfit...:indifferent:

I like her! :wink:
    Me too...:blushing:
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    Why do so many people feel the reason to respond to that comment if it doesn't apply to them? There is no need to get defensive if it is not aimed at you, the world does not revolve around you.

I regret the direction this topic has gone from irrelevant pants hanging too low to everybody is offended.

I'm not even mad though, wish there was a way to delete it but out I go from this topic.

Dude. Sit here with Uncle GC for second. You went into your bathroom... pulled out your cellphone... dropped your pants... took a picture of said dropped pants... and posted it on a website so that every other person on the planet could see it.

Then, as if that wasn't enough....

You asked a question that basically offended both sides of the "sexual equality" debate.

Now... at some point, in your mind, all of that was "a good idea."

Thus, you now have two options. Cry about it... or own it.

I'll support you either way.

Now, go pull up your pants.
  • AnnMarie518
    Options

You are making many assumptions there. It reminds me of the running joke in college where we would ask one of our buddy's "So, have you told your mom that you're gay yet?" ... answering it in any form validates the question.

I fully understand why he doesnt want to answer and 'validate' your question....However *I* dont have an issue answering it from my own personal perspective.....
    You assume he has a wife (what if its a girlfriend or significant other)
    You assume he depends on 'her' to buy things/pay bills, mortgage etc..(what if he's independently wealthy and can afford to stay home)
    You want to know if that 'emasculates' him......Even if the situation is as you assume, One would think that he is more of a man then some others because obviously he has the 'kahunas' and pride to stand up and admit to being a SAHD. Some men would hide the fact and be embarassed of it. THOSE are the men who are emasculated in my humble opinion.
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options

We wouldn't need to be defensive if you weren't being so OFFENSIVE, i.e. attacking someone's worth as a person merely because they stay at home with their children. And you felt the need to post the above-quoted paragraph, so what does that make YOU? The world doesn't revolve around you, either.
  • BadCookieMonster
    Options

I somewhat agree/understand....however, I stayed home with my children until they began preschool. Prior to that, I wanted them raised by me. Once they both started school, I went back to work. I put being a SAHM on my resume so that employers would see why there is a gap. I have an amazing job that I love and it didn't matter that I took off work for those years.

In my opinion everyone should make a name for themselves.. Being a stay at home parent is a short-medium term life goal. Raising a single child doesn't require a lifetime.. I agree if parents want to raise there child outside the daycare enviroment, but as soon as school starts there is no reason why someone can't pursue a career or a serious hobby that doesn't burden other people around them.