Do you force yourself to eat breakfast?

Options
I am not someone who wants to get up and eat in the morning. Some days I go a couple of hours until I actually eat something. Some days I force myself to eat, even though I am not nor will I ever be hungry in the morning. Is there a happy medium? anyone else out there like me? Do you just go ahead and eat anyway? Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have found I need to wait an hour if I eat solid foods. But my alternative so I can get my metabolism moving is to have No Sugar Added Carnation Instant Breakfast with Lite Soy Milk.
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm not hungry right after waking up. It takes me about an hour to get ready for work in the AM, so usually I make something as I'm walking out the door. Mostly smoothies in red solo cups, or a piece of WW toast with PB and half a banana. It needs to be portable enough to consume in the car.
  • _Thanatos_
    _Thanatos_ Posts: 166
    Options
    No, I WANT to eat in the morning. It's one of those things I look forward to while getting ready in the morning such as the warm shower.
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Nope, I never force myself to eat. I eat when my body tells me I'm hungry. Usually I don't eat until lunch (early lunch around 11) but I'm simply not hungry before then.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    No, I WANT to eat in the morning. It's one of those things I look forward to while getting ready in the morning such as the warm shower.
    Me too. I also workout in the a.m. so I'm pretty hungry for breakfast I get up earlier than I need to just so I can eat a big breakfast and I am NOT a morning person-lol!
  • rainydaze613
    rainydaze613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Initially, I had to force myself to eat just a fruit for breakfast, but then I started eating more and more. So my >100cal breakfast turned into 200 calories, 300 calories, and now it's as high as 600 calories on some days. These days, I'm always hungry in the morning and I feel like my hunger shuts down after about 5pm. I think it's just a matter of working to change your internal clock :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am not someone who wants to get up and eat in the morning. Some days I go a couple of hours until I actually eat something. Some days I force myself to eat, even though I am not nor will I ever be hungry in the morning. Is there a happy medium? anyone else out there like me? Do you just go ahead and eat anyway? Any advice would be appreciated.

Why would you force yourself to eat if you're not hungry in the morning?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

The voices in my head tell me to....

SQUIRREL!
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    Nope, no traditional breakfast here most days. Every once in a blue moon I eat first thing, but most days it is closer to what people would call lunch than breakfast (first meal around 11am, I get up around 6:30 or 7am). Eat when you are hungry, IMHO.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Why would you force yourself to eat *anything* Eat when you're hungry, eat until you're full and then stop until you're hungry again. The whole 'breakfast is the most important meal of the day' is actually just a marketing gimmick. I usually don't eat until after I've been up for an hour or two and it hasn't hurt me any. Oh, and don't buy into that 'don't eat after six PM thing either.'
  • lauravasseur
    Options

Because 90% of what you read about eating healthy is about eating breakfast and how your metabolism doesn't start to move until you eat something...

I probably wouldn't eat until two or three in the afternoon if I didn't make myself eat something in the morning.
  • jentarver
    jentarver Posts: 192
    Options
    I eat all day. From when I wake up, to before I go to bed. I don't put limits of my intake. If I am hungry I will eat something. Plain and simple. If I am not, I won't bother.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Because 90% of what you read about eating healthy is about eating breakfast and how your metabolism doesn't start to move until you eat something...

I probably wouldn't eat until two or three in the afternoon if I didn't make myself eat something in the morning.

Then I'd start to read the other 10% that is accurate. Your metabolism doesn't stop nor does it need "jumpstarting" or whatever buzzword you want to assign to it.

There is nothing wrong with waiting till 2 or 3 to eat your first meal, it won't hinder your weight loss at all.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    [
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I just throw a yogurt in my purse as I head out the door.

By the time I get to work, I've been up for 2 hours, I've gotten myself and my son ready, fed him breakfast, and gotten him off to daycare. By the time I sit down at my desk, I'm ready for a cup of coffee and a little "snack", hence the yogurt.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options

I don't ever force myself to eat. There is no scientifically valid reason to do so.

And I don't eat breakfast. I practice 19/5 intermittent fasting, so I only eat between 3:30pm and 8:30pm. This works out because this is when I'm hungry.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options

Again, a marketing scheme. Your metabolism doesn't stop when you go to sleep. I actually believe I once read that you burn more calories while sleeping than you do sitting on the couch watching television. The great thing is that your body has a built in mechanism that lets you know when your body needs more fuel and that mechanism is called hunger.

Eat when you're hungry, eat until you're full, and don't eat again until you're hungry. Lather, rinse, repeat.
  • Ilovejacks
    Ilovejacks Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I do a Protein TOGO,it's like 26g of protein.For lunch i eat a OLE' wrap 14g fiber.
    I just think it's important to put protein in there in the A.M.:)
  • lnnptrck
    lnnptrck Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I NEVER wake up hungry. Ever. In fact, I found that eating breakfast really makes me queezy. Because I know that it's essential to eat breakfast, I start the day off with something light (apple sauce and toast, banana and granola, yogurt, etc.) then follow up with something a little more dense later in order to avoid feeling comfortable for the rest of the day.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry. I guess that's just how I roll.............