Low Carb?

Options

Replies

• sbeisel1
    sbeisel1 Posts: 181
    Options
    Low carb takes the joy out of life. And low carb means limiting fruit. Fruit is good for you. And IMO, a diet is not successful if it "worked" for someone. If it is successful, it is "still working" for someone. Anyone can lose weight, not many can keep it off. Try something that works for you. Usually people get tired of low carb, go back to eating normal and gain all the weight back. What a headache. If you go low carb, try limiting yourself to 150 grams per day. Not the super strict 20. Good luck!

I agree. Saying "low carb takes the joy out of life" is very accurate IMO. As with any diet, if you fall off it and go back to your pre-diet eating habits and exercise (or lack of), you have a good chance of gaining the weight back. Keeping it off is all about changing your lifestyle for good.

Yup any "diet" takes the "joy" out of life but thats only if food is the only joy in your life. the thing with Low carb is quality, there are plenty of low carb veggies and fruit out there, you just need to be more creative. and as far as teh 20 carbs a day goes, if you read the books or do some research the 20 carbs is just meant for the 2 week induction, yes it is hard but it is meant to kick start. once the induction is over you are supposed to increase the amount on a weekly or biweekly schedual of 5 or 10 carbs, choosing to stay at any level is a personal choice. making sure to eat lots of vegitables of course. if you plateau or start gaining you then assess the amount of carbs and reduce or take a look at the carb quality a cup of pop may have the same carb count as a fuit salad but one will fill you up the other will... well its empty carbs. look for value in your choices, zucchini and cauliflower (google recipies) can easily take the place of rice and pasta or be used as fillers to reduce the amount of rice or pasta you eat. low carb veggies will become your best ally in any low carb diet. I have some really good meal and snack suggestions if you want them.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I don't eat high carbs but I don't eat low either. I find without them I feel funny. Also, I've read to many cognative problems dealing with it despite the fact they are not an essential nutrient. I just came here to advise you to look up glycogen and the affects it has on the body (it deals with carbs). I know a friend of mine who did really well on paleo which is apparently low carb, but be aware of what you're doing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycogen
    http://www.justinowings.com/understanding-bodyweight-and-glycogen-de/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marathon#Glycogen_and_.22the_wall.22
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitting_the_wall
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    People are still doing low-carb? huh. flashback to 1999
  • julielandsiedel
    Options
    Low Glycemic Eating with Transitions Lifestyle System is the absolute lifestyle of healthy eating.
    I live it- I teach it- I love it!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. I have a metabolic syndrome..so it works awesome for me. I did pure Paleo for a month..and lost 10 pounds and 3% body fat.

I then upped my carbs to no more than 150 a day..but the carbs I took in were of the whole grain variety.

I am now doing pure paleo again for another month..to kick my butt in gear. I am not looking to losing weight..more to get more disciplined.

I suggest you do some research and talk to a nutritionist before doing something like this..
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I've had tremendous success keeping myself at 20 grams net carbs per day.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

You do realize there are different approaches to "low-carb", right? The approach I suggest is a whole food, paleo-esque approach, not the "low-carb" tortilla (aka soy), "low-carb" bagels (aka, I dunno...I guess soy), "low-carb" bread, etc. from once upon a time.

In my opinion, any "processed/box/bag" food approach to diet, regardless of macronutrient profile, is less than optimal.
  • VenomousDuck
    VenomousDuck Posts: 206
    Options
    as a recovered type two diabetic I eat low carb because I don;t process carbs well.

It isn't a "joy" issue for me. I'm an executive chef, I can cook all kinds of things that are really good and low in carbs.

And I workout like crazy.

and I have tons of energy.

Different eating for different people. Find a plan you like and stick to it.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I am trying to do low carb, abut 75 net g a day but I struggle with calories. Whenever I eat this way, my calories are so low, I have a hard time reaching 1200. I even tried to eat beef for the first time in 20 years to get a calorie boost, I didn't like it. I am trying to get myself to eat larger portions of chicken to get the calories. Everyone keeps recommending nuts (can't eat those) so I really don't know how to do low carb with a reasonable calorie intake.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Learned people beg to differ :

ejcn2011132f2.jpg

Taubes and Lustig are among the learned as they are the 2 most cited in the paper the above comes from?
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

You do realize there are different approaches to "low-carb", right? The approach I suggest is a whole food, paleo-esque approach, not the "low-carb" tortilla (aka soy), "low-carb" bagels (aka, I dunno...I guess soy), "low-carb" bread, etc. from once upon a time.

In my opinion, any "processed/box/bag" food approach to diet, regardless of macronutrient profile, is less than optimal.

And you do realize there's a thing called humor. Yes, to get technical with you, I realize there are multiple approaches to "low-carb".

Good lord
  • usc2626
    usc2626 Posts: 186
    Options
    I don't see how anyone could keep their carbs below 100 mine is set at 250 and it's all I can do to stay under it. Never the less I've been steady losing my .5 lb to 1 lb per week.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Taubes and Lustig are among the learned as they are the 2 most cited in the paper the above comes from?
    Neither are morons, and while I don't agree with everything (or even most) of what they come out with they aren't exactly alone. There isn't a scientific consensus, which is what the review paper was pointing out.

There are plenty of others with the right qualifications (Petro Dobromylskyj and Dr Briffa) writing in a similar vein, and the review authors and peer reviewers were clearly "taken in".

The low fat (hence high carb) dieting paradigm hasn't worked for society as a whole for 40 years, so I don't think we can stick with it much longer without some kind of overhaul if not a 180 degree U-turn.

If we weren't lipophobic due to Keys deceit we wouldn't have an issue with low carb, but as low carb means high fat the heads explode and we're back to sloth and gluttony.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The low fat (hence high carb) dieting paradigm hasn't worked for society as a whole for 40 years, so I don't think we can stick with it much longer without some kind of overhaul if not a 180 degree U-turn.

...that argument worked 10 years ago.

Low carb isn't just a little secret that the hipster kids are into nowadays; it has spawned multiple major fads in the last 10 years; 10's of millions of people have done low carb diets. A majority of overweight people have made a stab at it at some point.

If a major revolution and turnaround hasn't happened yet; the wrong tree is being barked up.

At some point the logical conclusion is that food itself isn't the problem. All of the Taubes school of thought (which was was repurposed by the super duper mega oldschoolers) conviently ignore the other non-food key cultural changes that coincided with the rise in obesity, namely a huge plethora of things that involve a lack of doing anything but sitting (cable TV, computers, and video games to name 3 heavy hitters).
  • Korrinn
    Korrinn Posts: 24
    Options

...that argument worked 10 years ago.

Low carb isn't just a little secret that the hipster kids are into nowadays; it has spawned multiple major fads in the last 10 years; 10's of millions of people have done low carb diets. A majority of overweight people have made a stab at it at some point.

If a major revolution and turnaround hasn't happened yet; the wrong tree is being barked up.

At some point the logical conclusion is that food itself isn't the problem. All of the Taubes school of thought (which was was repurposed by the super duper mega oldschoolers) conviently ignore the other non-food key cultural changes that coincided with the rise in obesity, namely a huge plethora of things that involve a lack of doing anything but sitting (cable TV, computers, and video games to name 3 heavy hitters).

Yes Atkins was a bit of a "fad" diet in the 90's but that's because people treated it like a diet and not a lifestyle. If you are doing the low carb/keto/paleo "diet" you are changing your life and know you have to keep up with it forever.

Of course if you eat low calorie, and "diet" for a while and then go back to what you were eating before, you're going to gain everything back. A lot of people give up because they can't maintain it, but if you give yourself a chance and stick with it and change your habits, it is a very viable mealplan.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

And you do realize there's a thing called humor. Yes, to get technical with you, I realize there are multiple approaches to "low-carb".

Good lord

Be accused of not having a sense of humor.

I guess I can mark that off my list of things highly unlikely to happen today.
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

Yes Atkins was a bit of a "fad" diet in the 90's but that's because people treated it like a diet and not a lifestyle. If you are doing the low carb/keto/paleo "diet" you are changing your life and know you have to keep up with it forever.

Of course if you eat low calorie, and "diet" for a while and then go back to what you were eating before, you're going to gain everything back. A lot of people give up because they can't maintain it, but if you give yourself a chance and stick with it and change your habits, it is a very viable mealplan.

Wow, you are too young or I am too old. Atkins first came out with his carb counting concept in the mid 1970's but you are correct, it saw a big jump in people giving it a go in the 1990's. We can just ask Krispy Kreme when that exactly happened :)
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    You still should be concerned about calories if you're trying to lose weight. Anyway for me, I do better on low carbs because it's more satiating for me and I'm less likely to cheat. I tend to aim for <80g with refeeds whenever I hit a plateau. Low carb is not a magic diet. It's still calories in/calories out in the end.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    if you think of it as a diet, that is sort of the wrong mentality. it should be a new lifestyle for you! its not like you will be able to go back to eating the way you used to, sadly.

i do low carb (20 grams a day) but because ketosis pretty much kills your appetite, i am also extremely low calorie as well (between 600 and 1200 a day) without even trying.

100 grams a day will really depends on what you ate before i guess. if you ate 300-500 grams a day, then it should help a lot!

my mom is diabetic, and she eats 30 grams per meal.

good luck!
  • LavaRoushFiveOh
    LavaRoushFiveOh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am trying to do low carb, abut 75 net g a day but I struggle with calories. Whenever I eat this way, my calories are so low, I have a hard time reaching 1200. I even tried to eat beef for the first time in 20 years to get a calorie boost, I didn't like it. I am trying to get myself to eat larger portions of chicken to get the calories. Everyone keeps recommending nuts (can't eat those) so I really don't know how to do low carb with a reasonable calorie intake.

You need to do some research. There are plenty of foods that are low carb. For instance, a good snack I have been eating is Fages 0% Yogurt, 1/2 cup, instead of a full cup, 1/4th cup of blackberries and raspberries each. Its around 5G of net carbs per serving like that and the carbs that are net are good fruit carbs. There is also fiber in the berries.