Carbs????

Options

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me how many carbs to stay "under" to lose weight???? I have seen everything from 50 to 100! Thanks!:drinker:

Mine is set at 165, I lost weight on that when staying under.
  • Jill1249
    Jill1249 Posts: 11
    Options
    Wow!!!!! Maybe there is a reason I just joined the message board. I'm learning about carbs and the fact that I CAN lose weight eating them. I will say I feel better staying away from the "bad" ones i.e. white veggies, pasta, and sugar. Thanks so much for the replies!:wink:
  • HealthFreak1967
    HealthFreak1967 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without cutting carbs. I eat over 200 a day and I still lose.

same here, i eat at least 200g a day. It honestly is a myth that you need to cut carbs or go on a low carb diet to lose weight. I'm 101 pounds and most of my diet is carbs - but not refined processed junk. It's all from fruit (i eat a ton), beans, whole grains like oatmeal/brown rice/sprouted bread, and vegetables. Granted, I do eat higher in carbs b/c I don't eat meat or animal products, but it goes to show that eating a lot of carbs doesn't hinder weight loss.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and insulin resistance. I cannot, CANNOT, loose weight without cutting carbs. For some people, carbs are everything.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Carbs have nothing, or very little, to do with weight loss.

Carbs turn to sugar so yes they are not good for you, but some people are lucky enough they don't affect them some aren't.

I stay under 100 a day and like it that way.

There are bad carbs and good carbs so eat the good ones and leave the bad ones alone.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

It does matter if you have a metabolic syndrome...I have to watch my carbs. I have IR, PCOS, and hypothyroid..so if I ate 200 carbs a day...I would not lose weight...

I totally agree!!

The Atkins method teaches you to find the level of carbohydrate intake that is right for YOUR body, because it will be different from what is right for MY body. You do not HAVE to do induction ( 20 net carbs per day), but they suggest it because you have rapid losses at that level, and that encourages you to keep going! If you want to find your level for losing, you can either work your way up, or work your way down--10 carbs per day for a week until you see what you want to see.

I personally have a tendency towards insulin resistance, so I need to eat under 100g net per day if I want to lose. I would love to do 50g net, but usually cannot hit my calorie goal with that few carbs.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Carbs turn to sugar so yes they are not good for you, but some people are lucky enough they don't affect them some aren't.

I stay under 100 a day and like it that way.

There are bad carbs and good carbs so eat the good ones and leave the bad ones alone.

What makes a good carb good and a bad carb bad?

and in what dosage is sugar not good for you?
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options

The bad ones come from a broken home?
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I keep mine under 20 per day, and am losing like crazy.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

sort of. when cutting weight as fast as possible...for a photo shoot or a prom or making weight for wrestling or whatever...cutting carbs for 4-6 weeks before will cause a signifcant weight loss. Mostly water but it helps to get a few pounds off when you have to
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    It depends on if I'm running or not. Right now I'm running. I just increased my carbs to 50% of my diet. For reference, I run 4 -5 miles M, W, F and elliptical 4ish miles Tu, Th. Saturday I bike (I love biking, I just don't lose much weight that day). With so much cardio, I was starting to feel a little tired until I uped my carbs a bit.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

The bad ones come from a broken home?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=773hzYEq22s
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    carb intake is relative to anaerobic exercise level.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without cutting carbs. I eat over 200 a day and I still lose.

^^agree i eat about 150 a day.
    *Agree and I try to stay under 200 but that doesn't always happen. Either way it didn't get in the way of my weight loss. It's more of a I don't want an excessive amount or dangerously low amount thing.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

^^agree i eat about 150 a day.
    *Agree and I try to stay under 200 but that doesn't always happen. Either way it didn't get in the way of my weight loss. It's more of a I don't want an excessive amount or dangerously low amount thing.

what is "dangerously low"?
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    carb intake is relative to anaerobic exercise level.

what the heck does that mean?
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Yes in the mnority and even then that still doesn't matter... I am a type 2 diabetic and was insulin resistant but through diet and exercise have reversed the disease but never restricted carb intake to accomplish this.... I just changed the kinda food I was eating...

I was going to make the same post. I'm type 2, insulin resistant, and have turned it around with diet and exercise. I track carbs, just because, but I don't restrict them.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Wow!!!!! Maybe there is a reason I just joined the message board. I'm learning about carbs and the fact that I CAN lose weight eating them. I will say I feel better staying away from the "bad" ones i.e. white veggies, pasta, and sugar. Thanks so much for the replies!:wink:
    There's no such thing as "bad" carbs or "good" carbs. They are all the same. 4 calories per gram.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

Agreed... I eat an average of 320 grams a day and am still losing weight....

I would listen to the guy who lost 307 lbs. Really, that's incredible.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    i only stay under my carbs if they are very good looking.