Carbs????

Replies

• hulkklogan
    hulkklogan Posts: 77 Member
    Guess Sisson didn't mention Paleo man is estimated to have eaten 300g of carbs daily?

Eaton et al. Paleolithic nutrition revisited: A twelve-year retrospective on its nature and implications. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (1997) 51, 207±216

http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/EvolutionPaleolithic/Eaton Paleo Nutri Review EJCN.pdf

Maybe in the form of fruits, I could see that happening. But where would Grok have gotten grains from? All of those were inaccessible to him.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Guess Sisson didn't mention Paleo man is estimated to have eaten 300g of carbs daily?

Eaton et al. Paleolithic nutrition revisited: A twelve-year retrospective on its nature and implications. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (1997) 51, 207±216

http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/EvolutionPaleolithic/Eaton Paleo Nutri Review EJCN.pdf

Maybe in the form of fruits, I could see that happening. But where would Grok have gotten grains from? All of those were inaccessible to him.

Whoops wrong again

The broad spectrum revisited: Evidence from plant remains. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004 June 29; 101(26): 9551–9555.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC470712/?tool=pubmed
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    If you plan to follow a paleo/primal diet, 50-100g carbs/day is the recommended area for 'effortless' weight loss.

I'm maintaining nicely while consuming quantities that Sisson claims will cause "insidious weight gain". So much for that silly chart.

I recommend ditching the grains. Our bodies are virtually identical to our ancestors of 10k years ago, yet we eat and exercise completely differently.

Evolution didn't come to a screeching halt 10,000 years ago. We have continued to evolve (as did our gut flora - which plays a huge role in our digestive system).

Humans are not supposed to be ingesting 200g+ per day. People may be able to not get fat by exercising and not overeating, but the repeated blood sugar, and consequently insulin spikes, over the years can wear your body out and you can still easily develop a myriad of dietary-related afflictions, such as diabetes or insulin resistance.

ONOEZ Insulun spikes!! Got any evidence to back up this nonsensical claim? Diabetes (T2) and IR are related to obesity, not carb intake.

MYTH:A High Carbohydrate Diet Leads to Chronically High Insulin Levels

FACT:Insulin Is Only Elevated During the Time After a Meal In Healthy Individuals

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

MYTH: Insulin Spikes are “Bad”

FACT: Insulin Spikes Serve a Normal & Important Physiological Function

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=459
  • I don't count my carbs just calories and watch the fat. I am losing pretty good, I eat pretty good and always make sure I exercise and drink plenty of water.
  • hulkklogan
    You cite one article, which its research was probably funded by some biased agriculture agency, and expect me to take it as truth? lol.. There are just as many low carb advocates and articles that refute what you say as well.
    Evolution didn't come to a screeching halt 10,000 years ago. We have continued to evolve (as did our gut flora - which plays a huge role in our digestive system).

The human body has largely not evolved.
    ONOEZ Insulun spikes!! Got any evidence to back up this nonsensical claim? Diabetes (T2) and IR are related to obesity, not carb intake.

MYTH:A High Carbohydrate Diet Leads to Chronically High Insulin Levels

FACT:Insulin Is Only Elevated During the Time After a Meal In Healthy Individuals

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

MYTH: Insulin Spikes are “Bad”

FACT: Insulin Spikes Serve a Normal & Important Physiological Function

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=459

Oh, so spiking your insulin repeatedly for years and years on end is perfectly healthy? Meanwhile, for the first time in human history 1 in 3 children are predicted to wind up with diabetes. You think that's solely from eating candy and drinking sodas?
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member

Acg67 is an anti low-carb troll. From what I can tell, he has an alert set up when anyone posts anything about carbs.

I'd love for you to find a post to illustrate my anti low carb stance/low carb trolling

cute! trolling is not a single post. any time a carb is mentioned, you are there.
  • Acg67
    You cite one article, which its research was probably funded by some biased agriculture agency, and expect me to take it as truth? lol.. There are just as many low carb advocates and articles that refute what you say as well.

Read the study and see what it is about

"We acknowledge the financial assistance of the American School of Prehistoric Research (Peabody Museum), Harvard University. E.W. is a MacCurdy Post-Doctoral Fellow."
  • Acg67

Acg67 is an anti low-carb troll. From what I can tell, he has an alert set up when anyone posts anything about carbs.

I'd love for you to find a post to illustrate my anti low carb stance/low carb trolling

cute! trolling is not a single post. any time a carb is mentioned, you are there.

Easy to find the most herpy derpy posts in carb threads
  • agentscully514

If evolution did not come to a screeching halt, I would not have gone through wisdom teeth extraction hell that literally almost killed me. :)

you know what did happen 10,000 years ago? agriculture, starch, and sugar.
  • LesterBlackstone

Then kindly explain why the vast majority of people of European descent are NOT lactose intolerant, while the majority of people of Asian and African descent are.

Nope, no evolution going on there.
  • agentscully514

I don't know what herpy derpy is, but I hope it involves lizards.

and you are still always there. :)
  • hulkklogan

Congrats, you arm yourself with articles just to argue with people on the internet. Personally, I don't have anything saved in bookmarks nor anything I can whip out at the drop of a hat, but I've read plenty and have watched plenty of documentaries. Just because I have no links to post doesn't mean I'm an idiot. Laziness would be more of an appropriate accusation since I'm too lazy to Google stuff to argue with someone on the internet.
  • agentscully514

Then kindly explain why the vast majority of people of European descent are NOT lactose intolerant, while the majority of people of Asian and African descent are.

evolution is a tricky thing. You can't look at a single trait and come to conclusions. Seriously.

ps, I taught evolutionary bio for several years at an Ivy League college.

ps2. I am whitey white white white, and I am 100% lactose intolerant.
  • LesterBlackstone

If evolution did not come to a screeching halt, I would not have gone through wisdom teeth extraction hell that literally almost killed me. :)

Got me there. Cause wisdom teeth are such a killer to the vast majority of the population, preventing them from reproducing.

Do you even understand how evolutionary pressure works?
    you know what did happen 10,000 years ago? agriculture, starch, and sugar.

And domestic animals, and technology, etc.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member

So if you're going to eat like our ancestors, do you also go without electricity, indoor plumbing, and vaccinations? We evolved mentally and physically after agriculture became part of who we are. Any sort of "diet", pretty much anything with a name, other than just eating, is ridiculous, unless you have a medical condition that warrants it.
  • LesterBlackstone

evolution is a tricky thing. You can't look at a single trait and come to conclusions. Seriously.

ps, I taught evolutionary bio for several years at an Ivy League college.

ps2. I am whitey white white white, and I am 100% lactose intolerant.

If you had the slightest understanding of science at all, you would know that n=1 analogies are meaningless. Hence I suspect you're lying about teaching evolutionary biology (your wisdom tooth statement supports my beliefs as well).
  • hulkklogan

So if you're going to eat like our ancestors, do you also go without electricity, indoor plumbing, and vaccinations? We evolved mentally and physically after agriculture became part of who we are. Any sort of "diet", pretty much anything with a name, other than just eating, is ridiculous, unless you have a medical condition that warrants it.

Of course not, it's about adapting that eating and exercise style in a modern society.

We evolved technologically, but the human body largely has not evolved. We learned how to use our brains more and more, but our body has not changed.. except with the outward expanding waistline.
  • grolsch27
    grolsch27 Posts: 2 Member
    As I see it... If it works for you... eat all the bananas, potatoes, rice and beans that you want. Im glad that its working for you.

As someone that has been struggling to loose weight with a diet high in carbs and suddenly is enjoying quite nicely how I loose weight and feeling better without grains.... YOUR recipe is not for me.
  • Acg67

Congrats, you arm yourself with articles just to argue with people on the internet. Personally, I don't have anything saved in bookmarks nor anything I can whip out at the drop of a hat, but I've read plenty and have watched plenty of documentaries. Just because I have no links to post doesn't mean I'm an idiot. Laziness would be more of an appropriate accusation since I'm too lazy to Google stuff to argue with someone on the internet.

What fairy tales have you been reading and watching to lead you to spout such nonsense as you have been?
  • agentscully514

Got me there. Cause wisdom teeth are such a killer to the vast majority of the population, preventing them from reproducing.

Do you even understand how evolutionary pressure works?

LOL!!! of course I do. I taught evolutionary bio. and I almost died from an abscess when I was 20. I chose not to have children., but I assure you that dying at age 20 would have stopped me regardless.