How old were you when you had kids?

Options

Replies

• OccupyFitness
    Options
    I met my husband when I was 19, got married at 23 and had my first baby at 26. It was the perfect timing for me.
  • shirayne
    shirayne Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I got pregnant with my first at 27 but miscarried. I had my son at 30 and let me tell you that after 3 days in the hospital (c-section) when they told me (excitedly I might add) that I could finally go home... I refused. :) I was terrified and couldn't believe they were going to let me bring that little person home! I can't imagine how I'd have felt had I been younger! But that's just me and my son is everything to me. He's my life and I can't imagine him not being a part of it.
  • _HeyMommy_
    _HeyMommy_ Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I was 34 when I had my son, and 36 when my daughter was born. Alot of our friends have kids that are graduating or are grandparents already. I personally am glad we waited.. (well waited until we were 28 to start trying, the rest was
    waiting for it to happen and a few miscarriages) because we just didnt have the patience needed when we were younger. We are much calmer
    now then we were when we got married at 21. With that being said, everyone is different. My best friend had kids real
    young, and has been a great mom. Good luck with whatever you choose!
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    17 when I had my son, just turned 20 eleven days before my daughter born, became a grandma at 39......
  • blueeylb
    blueeylb Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i had my daughter at 30 and my son at 32. i really dont think i would change anything i enjoyed sleeping in and doing what ever i wanted when ever i wanted without having to juggle around babysitting and the other "fun" things that our little bundle of joy's come with. if i would of gone back and changed things i would not have been blessed with my husband and children... your still young dont give in to the peer pressure wait till you and your man are truely ready you'll be be happier when it's really your choice.
  • camsamdad
    camsamdad Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I was 33 when we had my son and 39 for my daughter we are planning one more. I wish I would have had them when I was in my mid 20s. I enjoy my kids and whould do anything in the world for them but I wish I was a little bit younger.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I had my kids at 32 and 35. Absolutely NO regrets for waiting! I know there are many good mothers who are young, but I think the life experiences I had from waiting made me a much better mother than I would have been at 20.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I'm 28 and pregnant with my first. I'm glad I waited. I enjoyed my 20's being in college, and I also enjoyed being married for a couple years without children. Take your time, and wait until you're financially and emotionally ready for it. Don't let anyone else push you do it too early. Children are an enormous commitment, and it's best to wait until you are stable, and you and your partner are ready for it.
  • debobrien1
    debobrien1 Posts: 95
    Options
    First at 30 and last at 35... So glad I waited!! Even now when most of the women my age have their last one leaving the house, I still have a 10 year old! It keeps me feeling young! :)
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I was 29 when my first was born. This is my opinion: What age to have children is not so much the issue, IMO, as the issue of being established. By that I mean, it is a whole different life to have children, so prepare yourself..do you have a good place to live that is a healthy place to be? Are you settled in your marriage? Are you ready to focus on being a wife and mommy? Do you have an income that allows you to provide needs and some wants (like a periodic vacation as a family, some creature comforts, some self-development, and development for your family members--like music, art or other pursuits). I don't mean a lavish lifestyle, just not stuck in a rut and vulnerable, struggling. Children slow you way down, and quite frankly, you have no idea what it is like until you have them...until you have your very own.
    I have 5 children and LOVE being a wife and mommy:heart:
  • rdennisjr
    rdennisjr Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    We were both 32 - and not a regret at all! Two wonderful girls and all is going well so far!
  • Jaytee79
    Jaytee79 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I was 30 when I had my first, and if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't have had her any sooner.
  • missjewl
    missjewl Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I know several women that had their children very young ranging from 16yrs old and up... each one of them have done very well with raising their children but knowing you are ready for children is a major step in having them! I was 23 when I found out I was pregnant and was 24 by the time I delivered I was very ready and couldnt wait any longer. Everyone has their own time. Just because your friends are having children doesnt mean you need to get on the bus... Do what's right for you! and do it when you are physically and mentally ready to deal with the major changes that children bring to your life. You are still young and when you're ready you'll know!
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    My mom was 20 when she had me....and 24 when she had my sis.....I waited a bit. I didnt get married until 26...had 1st daughter at 27 and 2nd one at 33 and I am 34 now......glad I waited. I may even have one more. I have little patience but a whole lot more than I did at say, 21. Enjoy your "me time" now and TRAVEL!
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    One son at 39 and another son at 42. God's timing.
  • DinaLKeil
    DinaLKeil Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    26 and decided to not have any more. I would say I personally think I shoulda waited a few more years but I was told by a doctor that it might not be possible if I waited. Anyway, I'm glad I had one at that age. I dont wanna be in my 60's with a kid in high school..(or mid 50's,etc.) Just me though
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    I was 30 when I had my son and 32 when my daughter was born. It was perfect.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I was 18 with my first kid and 19 with my second. I would have waited because I think I would have been a smarter parent had I waited 10 years. I feel like I am a much smarter parent with my child I had at 28. But then again maybe I wouldn't be as smart if I didn't have my first two. Either way I tried really hard to be the best mom but there are some things that only age life experience can give you.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I was 16 when my daughter was born, 19 when my son was. I wouldn't change it, because that would mean I was with their father for longer than I was, and he's a class-A d*ck; however, I do think that had that not been the case, waiting would have been optimal. The fiance and I are planning on kids in a couple years - I'll be 30.
  • abigailmariecs
    abigailmariecs Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    i was 26... i think that was a good age... not too young, not too old... if i had to do it over again, i wouldn't change a thing!

Me too! my first was born when I was 26 and the second when I was 27.