How old were you when you had kids?

Options

Replies

• Daisy_Cutter
    Daisy_Cutter Posts: 774
    Options
    Get an education before having kids. You never know what might happen between you and your boyfriend/husband. And, tragedy can strike even the happiest family. Make sure you are in a position to care for that baby before you have it.
    yes, yes yes yes yes.....
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    We were married as teens but waited 10 years before biting into that green apple.
    We have 5 kids now, and it's been great!
  • snoopytwins
    snoopytwins Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I was 31 almost 32 when I had my boys and was 33 when I had my little girl. I'm 37 now, and, although I am sometimes the "oldest" mom at my kids' events and am the oldest mom at my daycare, I couldn't imagine being a younger mother. It's hard work, and I wasn't ready in my 20s. I'm glad I was done with school and had my career going. And, as a divorced mom to 3, I'm not sure how well I would have handled it at a younger age..I'm quite self-sufficient nowadays.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I was 19 with my daughter 26 with my son. I would have actually preferred my son closer to my daughter. Both are a blessing. I had a hard time getting pregnant with my son. I'm done having kids.
  • ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Im 24, I have an 8 month old. I feel like I was ready to be an amazing mommy to her! I think it just depends on the maturity level or where you are in life.
  • rosalie_g
    rosalie_g Posts: 71
    Options
    I was 24 when I had my first daughter and looking back on it I wish I had waited longer to start having kids. Please don't feel pressure to have kids because everyone else is having them and it seems normal to do it by a certain age. Looking back on it I was so young at 24. You are right, you are very young still. Do it when you feel ready to do it :)
  • maggiemay365
    maggiemay365 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I was 40 ..my husband was 50 when we had our son! He is now 4! And I wouldn't change a thing!
  • latinahada
    latinahada Posts: 168
    Options
    I had my daughter 2 months after my 19th B-day & my son when I was 24...I wouldn't change anything about it, I love my kids more than anything...However, having kids is life changing and I just advise that you be as prepared as possible before having them!!
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I was 19, in college, not married, and very very inexperienced. Do what you want to do before you have children. I didn't even know how to hold a baby and was a wicked tom boy at 19. When my daughter was born, she was born with complications, which made it even harder for me. If you aren't sure that you want kids yet, then I would say that you just aren't ready yet. You are so young. Enjoy each other first and let yourself grow up. As much as I love my daughters, I am telling you, that once you have them they really tie you down. Your needs come last. it's just the way it is.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    19 and 20. sometimes i regret. sometimes i don't.
    i'm glad i got it out of the way i guess. but now if i want another, there will be such an age gap.
    my sister and i are 10 years apart.. and my kids are 10 and 11.
  • momof4ts
    momof4ts Posts: 118
    Options
    I was 23 had been married two years by the time he was born, but seriously there is NO RUSH!! Enjoy life just the two ofyou!! I wish my husband and i had waited a little longer, did more just the two of us. Because when kiddos come they are here to stay! :noway:
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your ambitions. Personally, I recommend going to school first and establishing some kind of career that you find challenging and fulfilling. But then when you marry/meet the right person, spend some time on YOUR relationship before bringing little people into it.

DH and I have been together 18 years, but our twins are 18 months old (I had them at nearly 37). So we did a lot in between. Multiple degrees, living around the world, interesting jobs, friends, experiences. We have a lot more to share with our kids, including financial security.

Unfortunately, we discovered that even when you say "Okay, now I'm ready to have kids," it's not really up to you. Your body does weird and wacky things, and you have to expect that anything can happen. You could get pregnant in a month, or you could have to consider years of expensive and invasive fertility treatments. Some of those things are difficult to handle when you're younger, at least psychologically.

IMO, you should build your life and partnership, then share it with your children. Not build your life and partnership around your children.
  • sophie_wr
    sophie_wr Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    ahah i'm happy to see people that have been waiting !!
    I have a combination of PhD program (well it's over) and moving from Europe to USA, long relationship in my 20s brutally over, and then couple of single life years (with lots of fun though !). we'll see....
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I was 24 when my daughter was born, and i think its a pretty good age. I think i wouldnt have waited much longer than that. My husband and i want to enjoy life later, so we have a cut off. No kids after 30.
  • SkinnieFinnie
    SkinnieFinnie Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I was 21yrs old when I had my daughter & 25yrs old when I had my son. My husband & I have been together since we were 16yrs & 17yrs. The only thing I would change is the gap between the two. I wanted them 2yrs apart or less. I had 2 miscarriages between my daughter & son.. heartbreaking. Other than that, I wouldn't change a single thing. I'm an amazing mom. I was then & I am now. Yes that's me tooting my own horn, but it's true :bigsmile:
  • NanaB2011
    NanaB2011 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    26 & 29 -- perfect age

Same here! Two boys ages 4 and 7...My family thought I wanted too long, but I was not ready any earlier...
  • Expialidojess
    Expialidojess Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    23 & 25
  • motherheather
    Options
    I was three months shy of being 19 with the first daughter and two months shy of 20 with my second daughter.

I have always been a very maternal person and always thought being a mother had to be the most amazing job in the world. It all depends on you. Not everyone has a strong maternal instinct and no one knows what they are in for when it comes to kids until they actually have them and then there is no going back so be sure.

Personally, I know I have a lot of learning to do as a young mother but most things have came naturally for me whereas couples I know that did decide to wait are just as clueless (if not more) as me.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I'm 34. I had my daughter when I was 23 & my son when I was 26.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Had my son at 20, 1st daughter at 23, 2nd daughter at 24 and 3rd daughter at 27.