How old were you when you had kids?

Options

Replies

• sawebber
    sawebber Posts: 15
    Options
    If you have doubts or don't think you are ready-you're not.
  • Marper8521
    Marper8521 Posts: 160
    Options
    We had our first when I was 19, best damn accident that ever happened!! Had a second 6 years later, Second/best thing that ever happened!! KEY!! Those that say it was difficult or hard, totally true, but even at 19 I had no expectations that having a child came with a book, rules or computer chip. That said, it made my wife and I struggle hard, sometimes working 3 jobs each, paying for babysitters - even more difficult, she was from another country and came to the US with me when I exited the military. The overall key is to look deep within yourself if you are lucky to be in that situation, hopefully you understand the authority of life and how cruel it is when you are in that position and can dig deep inside to do the right thing, regardless what everyone else says and whether you feel you are missing out on something! Being born and raised in the South, going into the military prepared me for darn near every step of the way!!! Hard work, faith, courage, confidence, self esteem and self motivated will be the key's, if any of those are lacking, you will definately need to dig deep.
  • BJWT
    BJWT Posts: 2
    Options
    I had my son when I was 36 and my daughter at 40, I have no regrets on when I had my kids. My professional career path was established and I could work part time after they were born (I'm an architect). My kids are 10 and 14 now, my husband and I can offer them so much more because we are in the prime of our careers and have already paid all our dues.
  • bbrat333
    bbrat333 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I was 6 months pregnant when I turned 21. My first & only for now. I wasn't ready then, he was a surprise.
    I wouldn't give him up for anything, he is a great kid. However, would have enjoyed a few more years before starting my familly, it's tough and quite expensive.
  • jazzedorange
    jazzedorange Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to have kids when you are ready. When you are stable. When you are in a wonderful, perfect committed relationship. Yet, most of the time, it never ends up that way. I had a daughter at 18 (she's turning 16 next month!) and a daughter at 30. WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I love both of my girls so much! But... there was this weird feeling that I felt at 18 having a baby. I felt like a child having a child. I gave up my whole life to be a mom. Now having my youngest when I was older and felt like a grown adult, there was this inner attachment that I had to her that I didn't have with my oldest. And having a loving husband to enjoy these girls with me is a huge plus!

All I say is... when your ready. If you are not now, use protection. Both my girls were perfect little accidents :) But I wouldn't go back and change a thing.
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I had my oldest son at 31 a nd my second son at 36, my youngest son feels it that I was so much older than the other moms, they all thought i was his grandma. I have no regrets but then I didn't get married till I was 30 either.
  • chazsucks
    chazsucks Posts: 170
    Options
    I got pregnant around my 19th birthday, had him when I was 19. Then got pregnant again at 20, so at 21 had a 20month old and a newborn.

It was fantastic and I would have loved to have more but we don't have money for any more children right now! So I'm a student again and when I start working we can think about more
  • muzmacol
    muzmacol Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    28 and 33
  • scotslass
    scotslass Posts: 317
    Options
    Had my son at 20 x
  • Brea_81
    Brea_81 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I had my first at 22 and don't regret it at all. :) She was born 2 months before our 3rd wedding anniversary, and we'd been together 6+ years at that point. Had #2 at 24, and #3 at 26. Honestly, my only regret when it comes to my kids is that I didn't have a 4th at 28. lol! BUT, it's different for everyone. I know plenty of people who waited much longer than I did, and it was better for them and their kids that they did.
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I had our son 2 days before my 32nd birthday. We're still trying for a second child - I'll be 36 in September.
  • brandon0523
    brandon0523 Posts: 516
    Options
  • LifeChangingExp
    Options
    Oh jesus.. Had my first at 19, second at 21, and third at 23 and my fourth at 34 and my.. no no just had 4 lol.... im 40 yrs old.. my oldest is noow 21 ...

WAITTTTTTTT!!! Dont do it now. Enjoy yourself first, whats the rush! Kids are wonderful, but, heart palpatations, grey hair, empty bank account, carless (yes, no matter how many you have, they always leave you without one) etc are not so wonderful.
  • histwinkletoes
    histwinkletoes Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm 29 and I don't have kids. I don't even know if I want any. I've been married for almost 7 years and I'm enjoying my freedom with my husband. Maybe when my husband and I hit our mid-30's we'll think about adopting!
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I was 30. I'm glad I waited. There are certain things you should get to experience before having a child. And yes definitely wait until you have the job, income and such that you want.
  • JulyMamma17
    JulyMamma17 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    First child at 22 second at 24 3rd at 26 28 for 4th and 30 having last one no wonder i find it hard o lose the weight
  • lucywantstoloseit
    Options
    I had my little boy a few days after I turned 18, meaning I was 17 when I was pregnant. That was hard, and it still is hard. Don't get me wrong, I love my little boy to bits and if you ask anyone that knows me, they'll say I matured a lot after having Oliver but still, you feel like you miss out on an awful lot.

Having said that, I completely disagree that the younger you are the less better of a parent you will be. I think that despite my age I make a pretty good parent, it doesn't matter what your age is, it's about who you are.
  • Ernij
    Ernij Posts: 2
    Options
    I had my 1st (and currently only 1) at 31, and been with my hubby to be (in 5 weeks time) for over 12 years now. We knew neither of us was going anywhere and didn't feel the rush to do it all so young. We enjoyed doing our own thing and being together and generally having fun.
    I think that because we waited, we were more chilled out, which shows with our little one. He's so content and always smiling and laughing, barely ever grumbles (but he does have his moments) He'll be 1 in 2 weeks time and its been the most amazing experience ever. :happy:
  • HannahsReturnToFitness
    Options
    I was 19. My partner is significantly older than me so it was more a matter of if it happens it happens, if it doesn't it doesn't.

When I had my daughter I felt as though I had found my purpose. Nothing else seemed to matter.

Its not easy being a parent no matter what age you are. Being younger I believe you may be able to bounce back a bit easier and no sleep etc. doesn't bother me at all.

I work full time (from home) and support both my daughter and partner and we have just brought our first home. Its not easy but as someone once said to me, bringing up children is as expensive as you make it!

It would have been nice to see more of the world before children but that isn't something that really bothers me.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Well im holding out till im married and have my own home instead of renting!!
    Im 23 my partner is 28 Iv been with him for 4years on 4th of July so hopefully he will pop the question soon enough lol
    I hope to have a baby around 27ish want to do as many things as I can before I get responsible lol