Plantar fasciitis

Options

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I worked for a podiatrist for numerous years and have read a lot about PF. I really believe that the theory that PF is a lot based upon calf tightness and pain so that may be a key to helping deal with it. My current DPM has great information on his site - www.nwfootankle.com on non-surgical, non-orthotic treatments for PF, as well as shoe suggestions.

Biking IMO would be one of the best - but make sure you foam roll the calves out or get a massage to loosen them. I've been really happy with my results on the Tai Cheng Tai Chi program to keep my body flexible and loose.
  • BigMamy
    BigMamy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have had that. I went through many different "solutions" but what worked for me was the Cortisone shots. A shot in each heal. The shot wasn't too sore and it really fixed it. You would not believe the difference they had. Ask you doctor for the shots, they will make all the difference. Good luck.
  • DOTY1
    DOTY1 Posts: 97
    Options
    I made my appointment for tomorrow at 4 to get the shots......... wish me luck....................:frown:
  • BigPappaG
    BigPappaG Posts: 8
    Options
    I have Plantar fascitis too, I was not able to run for a long time. Bike riding was very help full. You need to continue to exercise the foot or it will only get worse. Mornings for me are still bad, I have to get up early and rub my foot to warm it up. Ice your foot after exercise and take Ibupropin to reduce the swelling. My doctor recommended that I continue the meds. and exercises for two weeks, if it does nt get better then he recommended cortizone shot and physical therapy. The last resort is surgery. I will say from my personnal experence that it is best to continue to use it, stopping all exercise did nt help.
  • kimmieyr1
    kimmieyr1 Posts: 189
    Options
    I am dealing with a flare up now - second one within a month. I am in too much pain to even try to walk on it. I did do the elliptical on Friday which was the first day of the pain. My foot felt great afterwards and i was walking normally for most of the day afterwards. I was wondering if it had stretched all the right muscles the right way? Anyways, hobbling terribly Saturday and Sunday and some improvement today. I do not have funds for a gym so I do not know whether to get back at the elliptical of walking or not. Everything I have read says rest, rest, rest. So confused and want to get moving again.
  • grnice
    grnice Posts: 96
    Options
    I had it for a while and what saved me were Birkenstocks. I always hated them and they are ugly but helped me a lot. I wore them constantly and I'm sure it made all the difference.
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Amazing how many of us suffer from - plantar fasciitis and heel spurs.

I've spent a lot of time and money at my podiatrist and the physical therapist in that office. Yes, it is relieved and after several professional treatments, it will go away. Unfortunately, It does come back, however.

I found that I can treat it myself with all of the suggestions in this thread (except the injections). I stretch and wear a splint for a few hours at bedtime and also wear a foot/ankle brace. The condition still comes and goes and I trust it will go for a longer time once I get rid of excess weight.

The pain and swelling does reduce my workouts so I proportionately reduce my calorie intake.
  • sphyxy
    sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have PF and a heel spur in my left foot. The pain started in January and it is still ongoing. I am so glad that I am not the only one suffering in this. It's so embarrassing to start limping every time I get up. I need to stop wearing flipflops!
  • ryansmom09
    ryansmom09 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have PF as well. Mine started in my left foot Dec. 2011 and finally went away about a year later. Now that I have started exercising more, it is now in my right foot. When I had PF in my left foot I did the cortisone shots for a couple of weeks and saw a physical therapist three times a week for about 2 months. This all became crazy expensive (even with insurance) so I decided to do the therapy on my own; which is basically the things everyone has posted; stretches, a frozen water bottle, tennis ball etc.. I do not encourage the shots as they are painful when injected and the numbness is only temporary; only lasting a couple of hours.
  • shellsie_j
    shellsie_j Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Bump and thankyou, I have been meaning to go to a podiatrist and didn't know what the problem was, but this is def what I have.
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    7 miles on the bike last night along with some strength training and the pain wasn't nearly as bad this morning. I still have an appointment with the podiatrist this afternoon. I have such flat feet I'd like some help with that, and perhaps a split to wear in the future.
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I am currently suffering from this as well! It hurts to get up in the morning to go to the bathroom. I do sleep in the boot (not too sexy for the newly wed....but hey, whatever works!). I went to the podiatrist twice..and have some inserts I purchased off Footsmart. those have helped along with the rolling of the frozen water bottle. No running and haven't really ran since April..just hurts too much. I miss running.
    I haven't tried the PT yet..and that will be my next step. I am not so sure if it is truly PF where I need to stretch....other than symptoms are so similar. I mainly was told I have no fat pad in my heel...and I am running on the bone.
    I asked if he could just take some fat away from my love handles and inject in my heel...but he said it doesn't work that way!:grumble: I tried though!:laugh:
  • imafatloser
    Options
    I too have suffered from this...it was terribly painful-so bad I could barely walk sometimes. Inserts didn't help, shots didn't help...

I did several things that alleviated the condition completely. I've been pain free for YEARS.

Initially you'll probably have to use ibuprofen or aspirin to reduce pain and inflammation.

Do NOT go barefoot.

Stretch your feet before getting out of bed each morning-and do not let your feet touch the floor without putting on shoes!

Wear GOOD shoes. Earth (brand) shoes changed my life. They are pricey-but cheaper than an appointment with a foot doctor. Earth shoes have a recessed heel...which made all the difference. Other "good" brands did nothing for me. And no-I don't sell them. :wink: (Once you get sized you can even find them on Ebay- for about half price.)

Freeze a bottle of water & roll it under your foot-ten minutes on each foot. Feels wonderful and helps with both pain and inflammation.

Do stretching exercises...Example: Stand on a stair step, holding on with just your toes. Let the back of your foot hang over the edge and stretch your calf muscle. Don't "bounce", just stand there and let things stretch.

Lastly, learn foot massage. A good stylist/salon can teach you to do this yourself at home...or treat yourself at the salon.

I hope these suggestions help someone. They helped me. :flowerforyou:
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hey hey.

Count me among the folks that have feet so bad that it sucks to get up in the morning. I have collapsed arches... ie feet that are completely flat. More or less, my parents could've done something about them when I was a kid but now there's nothing science can do.

I've found that caffeine (from coffee) and Tylenol helps me deal with some of the pain. I'm not a drinker so I'm not really using my liver. I also use an Eletronic Muscle Stimulation machine to treat pain. I have orthotics and they help. I've recently switched to a running shoe that's made for folks that over pronate. If you decide to look them up, look for "Stability" or "Motion Control" running shoes.

As far as exercise, I focus on getting my cardio on a stationary bike. I can't handle running without a lot of pain the next day.

For Plantar Fascitis, have you looked for a night splint like this?

fxt2.jpg

I used something similar to this, called a Strassburg sock. After wearing them to bed every night for a few weeks the plantar fasciitis was gone! I have started running again now and have no problems, although the weight loss probably helped as well. The way it was explained to me, your foot is pointing down when you are sleeping, so the Plantar fascia heals in a foreshortened position. When you step on the ground in the morning all the tissue that healed overnight tears again as it stretches. The socks allow the fascia to heal in the stretched position, hence no tearing in the morning and eventually it heals completely.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    :cry:

I have this too--it started last week...today I went walking for about 40 minutes in my Vibram fivefinger Speed shoes and there was ZERO pain for the entire walk. I can't keep those doggone shoes on for long though--only a few hours before they start to hurt my feet (even before this PF), and after a couple of hours I took them off and felt the PF pain again. I can't/WON'T let it stop me from walking and exercising. It seems to have started with my new Tae Kwon Class and bowling league (i.e. increased physical activity--I dunno for sure though). I'll try some of these suggestions too!

Before this pain started in my foot/arch area...my knee started hurting me really badly first for a few weeks before this kicked in. My knee is now fine, but this pain feels like a knife, long nail or something sharp and excruciating is in the heel of my poor foot:grumble:
  • smkafka
    smkafka Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I had this as well. I continued to do my daily routine and worked through the pain but I was also on a lot of pain killers and prescription anti-inflammatory. Remember to stretch out after you have been sitting a while or when getting up in the morning. Mine went away when I lost weight. My foot doctor had me do stretches several times a day.
  • TXStephSki
    TXStephSki Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Boy, do I hate PF, this is my third year of living with it. I've done inserts, shots, custom shoes, etc. Be sure and stretch your whole leg, especially hip flexors and IT band (you know, after you get your fascia and hamstrings stretched out enough to actually be able to stand.) My podiatrist told me the triggers were 1) not having enough arch support and 2) walking/running on an incline. Thank you to everyone who suggested the water bottle trick, I have never heard that one and can't wait to try it out!
  • Gerry104
    Gerry104 Posts: 1
    Options
    I suffered from that for several months. I finally beat it by using an anti-inflamatory (Ibuprofen) and icing down my foot after walking. I am symptom free now and no longer have to use the ice.
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    my husband has this and it is TERRIBLE. he finds that going to the pool and walking helps him a lot. maybe it will work for you too.
  • lisaivette
    lisaivette Posts: 24
    Options
    I had PF awhile back ago. I used the boot at night when I slept, I iced my foot after I ran, and I also stretched my foot every night by rolling a tennis ball with my foot; believe it or not that exercise helped my foot the most. Most importantly buy shoes that are cushioned with a gel insert for better support for your heel.