uterous removal???

Options
Hey there, Just wanted to ask if anyone has gotten their uterous removed? I have 3 kids and do not want anymore, getting my husband sterilized here would cost a bit of money. Since I am anemic-needing iron infusions every 3 months, bleeding is not a good thing for me. What kinds of problems does removing the uterous create? Would I need to take hormones (they really mess with my body). I could imagine it would be nice to not have to go through menopause. I am getting my hormonal IUD out and getting a regular one in tomorrow. I would like to discuss this with my doctor, but would love to hear if anyone has experience with this before I see her. Thanks a lot in advance!!!

Replies

• kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Had my uterus removed when I was 32 (i'm 55 now). Left my ovaries in so I did not need hormone replacement until I started menopause. no problems. Would do it all over again without hesitation.
  • TammyW18
    TammyW18 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    As long as ur overies are working properly, u wont need meds.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    thank you ladies, I am hoping that this could be a good solution for me since I have always had problems with my periods basically since I started having them. They are very irregular and it would be so nice to not have to worry about birth control or about becoming more anemic when I am bleeding. The hormones are making the bleeding worse so I can use the non hormonal IUD before I get my uterous out. If you keep your ovaries, then you go through menopause like everyone else?
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    If getting your husband sterilised will cost a lot of money, a hysterectomy (uterus removal) will cost WAY more. It is major surgery. It carries a lot more risk than vasectomy, requires general anaesthetic and vastly longer recovery time.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    If getting your husband sterilised will cost a lot of money, a hysterectomy (uterus removal) will cost WAY more. It is major surgery. It carries a lot more risk than vasectomy, requires general anaesthetic and vastly longer recovery time.

This. Hysterectomy is a lot more invasive than vasectomy. but i guess you're also really concerned about the bleeding?
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    A hysterectomy is a massive procedure that should only be done as a last resort when eveything else has been tried. A non hormonal IUD is a good option if you don't want more children or horrmones. Chances are it will stop your periods too, and if it doesnt there are medications yu can take to lessen your bleeding (Norithesterone), and strong iron suppliments.

I would strongly consider male sterilisation above everything else, as it WILL be cheaper- it is a minor day case procedure and it can be reversed if need be. A hysterectomy will be extremely painful, expensive and recovery will take up to 6 months or more! Plus you icrease the risk of future complications eg: prolapse etc....

If your husband will not get the snip- look into female tubal sterilisation.
  • bmfoley
    bmfoley Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I had my uterus removed about 6 years ago when I was about 38. I had issues though. .monthly pain..finally said it was adnemyosis which is like endometriosis but inside the uterus. It was the best thing I ever did! I still have my ovaries so no issue there, recovery wasn't bad and I have boy/girl twins so I was all done with it.
    Good luck
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Had my uterus removed when I was 32 (i'm 55 now). Left my ovaries in so I did not need hormone replacement until I started menopause. no problems. Would do it all over again without hesitation.

I was 38. Same as this...^^^^^^
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    I am in a country with socialized medicine, there is no NEED for my husband to get sterilized, so therefore it costs a lot of money for him to do that BUT there is a reason why I should stop my cycle in order to stop losing my precious blood. I cannot absorb iron in the normal way unfortunately, so I have to get it injected into my veins every few months. Since I have had this hormonal IUD I have been spotting a lot over the last 7 months and my period never really goes away. It is a real big bummer. I have always had very irregular periods. I never know when they are coming and they last for over a week normally. I did have the non hormonal IUD in before I switched to the hormonal one. This was not a good idea. I was hoping I would be one of the lucky ones to get rid of my period period. I will have a chat with my doctor tomorrow about it. Sounds like it isn't too much of a shock to the body if you keep the ovaries in. Thanks soooo much for all your feedback, I really appreciate it!!!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    His vasectomy is cheaper and much easier to recover from than your hysterectomy.
  • 62texan
    62texan Posts: 13
    Options
    I had heavy bleeding as well, and had a uterine ablation several years ago. It is outpatient, not major surgery like a hysterectomy. Best thing I ever did.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Most doctors will not just remove a uterus unless there is a really good reason to do it. Like others said, it is major, painful surgery, and all other options should be exhausted first. It would be good to discuss pros and cons with your physician.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    curious about uterine ablation? Can anyone explain that to me? Is it birth control too?
  • SavvyCake
    SavvyCake Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation as you-- very anemic and taking a dive every month with heavy periods. I myself don't think highly of uterine ablations. I have two friends who have had them done, only to have no positive result at all. My doctors have recommended them to me in the past, but I can't bring myself to do something so disruptive that may not even help at all. Same goes for the laparoscopic procedures they recommend for my endometriosis; a good friend has had it done three times, but it always comes back within six months. Since I'm not in a socialized location, these procedures are REALLY expensive, and I refuse to do ones that may not work.

I understand that getting a vasectomy may actually be more expensive, things are totally different in social health schemes. His would be an unnecessary elective procedure, while you have significant medical need. Many of the women in my family have had hysterectomies, and they all did very well with them. I want one myself, but my insurance company won't help since they think I'm a "bad candidate" (because I've not had children and am "only" 29 years old). It's frustrating.
  • SavvyCake
    SavvyCake Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Also, uterine ablation (known here as endometrial ablation) CAN prevent pregnancy due to the scarring of the lining of the uterus, but it shouldn't be considered a form of contraception. You can still get pregnant after the procedure.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to your doctor about having an ablation? That is what I had done (for endometriosis) and I haven't bled in the 6 months since. From everything I've been told, IF you get a period again after, it's extremely light and very short.

This is out-patient and much less invasive since there is no cutting involved, they go in through your cervix.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I had a complete hysterectomy when I was 26, due to severe endometriosis. Sometimes I feel like I traded one set of problems for another.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I had my uterus removed in November. BEST. DAMN. THING. EVER! - I was anemic, thyroid issues, tired and so much more - my TSH levels are normal, I have lost 20lbs since then - I feel the best I have in a LONG time! they took my uterus and ovaries (done having babies) and I have been great! But its very dependent on your DR, health and your psyche (thats an important part of it, sont forget!)
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Are you in the states?

Most doctors won't do a hysterectomy on a healthy uterus. They will tie your tubes as a form of sterilization but unless your uterus is sick they won't do a hysterectomy.

Edited because I need to learn to read. I see that you do have medical reason to have it done, so ignore my previous statement. I wish you luck
  • SocialRopes
    SocialRopes Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i had a laproscopic supracervical hysterectomy when i was in my 30s as a result of a higher-order multiples pregnancy. kept the ovaries and haven't had any complications ~ it's phenomenal. i wasn't a candidate for ablation because i had a vertical c-section instead of the normal horizontal cut (i can't remember the specific rationale), but i hear that works wonders as well. best wishes ~