Carbs????

Options
12346»

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSATQ4ZtQJX20BuBAKwYxNjENg6jrTOPFysjjYiQse-D7lgHAb533u0HOdDTQ
    You cite one article, which its research was probably funded by some biased agriculture agency, and expect me to take it as truth? lol.. There are just as many low carb advocates and articles that refute what you say as well.

The least you could have done would be to read the article. It's pretty clear you've already made up your mind though.

Good luck with your goals.
    I think many of these believers are solidified in their stance when they see the initial reduction in weight by cutting out carbs. Therefore, carbs = evil fat causing devil.
    When the fact is that cutting out an entire macro-nutrient from your diet will usually cause folks to eat less calories.

fact: with Atkins or other LOW carb diets, you do NOT cut out an ENTIRE macro-nutrient. You are reducing it, and making healthier choices from foods that contain that macro-nutrient.

FACT: I ate the MFP suggested macros for 3 months, and worked my booty off in the gym and lost 7 pounds. I cut carbs to under 100g NET per day, did the same workout and lost 10 pounds in 5-6 weeks. Yes, I did lose almost 5 pounds the first week, but I have been losing at least a pound a week since--something that did not happen when I ate a "normal" diet.

FACT: I was NOT obese when I developed insulin resistance. I was about 150lbs on a 5'2 frame. I was on WW and going to the gym to lose 20lbs--but gained 30lbs in about 3-4 months. I went to the doctor and was diagnosed. I cut carbs, I lost weight, I reversed my IR.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSATQ4ZtQJX20BuBAKwYxNjENg6jrTOPFysjjYiQse-D7lgHAb533u0HOdDTQ
    You cite one article, which its research was probably funded by some biased agriculture agency, and expect me to take it as truth? lol.. There are just as many low carb advocates and articles that refute what you say as well.

The least you could have done would be to read the article. It's pretty clear you've already made up your mind though.

Good luck with your goals.
    I think many of these believers are solidified in their stance when they see the initial reduction in weight by cutting out carbs. Therefore, carbs = evil fat causing devil.
    When the fact is that cutting out an entire macro-nutrient from your diet will usually cause folks to eat less calories.

fact: with Atkins or other LOW carb diets, you do NOT cut out an ENTIRE macro-nutrient. You are reducing it, and making healthier choices from foods that contain that macro-nutrient.

FACT: I ate the MFP suggested macros for 3 months, and worked my booty off in the gym and lost 7 pounds. I cut carbs to under 100g NET per day, did the same workout and lost 10 pounds in 5-6 weeks. Yes, I did lose almost 5 pounds the first week, but I have been losing at least a pound a week since--something that did not happen when I ate a "normal" diet.

FACT: I was NOT obese when I developed insulin resistance. I was about 150lbs on a 5'2 frame. I was on WW and going to the gym to lose 20lbs--but gained 30lbs in about 3-4 months. I went to the doctor and was diagnosed. I cut carbs, I lost weight, I reversed my IR.

Fact: your anecdote doesn't prove anything.

You ultimately lost weight because you were in a caloric deficit, not because you lowered carbs. Did lowering carbs make it much easier to stay in a deficit for you? Probably, but your case does not apply to everyone.

Insulin resistance will partially depend on genetics. Some people respond very well to high carb + low fat. Others respond well to the opposite. And a fortunate minority will respond well on either.

My point was that many of these anti-carb believers think that carbs are evil and everyone should cut them out or drastically reduce them, when the reality is that what is best will depend on the individual/situation. Because there's plenty of contexts where high carbs are necessary and/or optimal.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Because there's plenty of contexts where high carbs are necessary

for anything else besides endurance type events?
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    To name some:

- I just described above that some folks respond much better to high carb/low fat. These individuals usually tend to have high insulin sensitivity. For some of them, it may be preferable to keep carbs higher.
    - Along with endurance athletes, bodybuilders who are doing long workouts on a daily basis may require high carbs.

Theres situations where a dieter may want to increase muscle glycogen levels to a very high level. For example:
    - Refeeds will need to be high carb. And they usually work much better when combined with low fat.
    - carb loading (self explanatory)

Along with that, low carb diets will usually not be optimal for anabolism

And note that this is excluding the middle - some folks may do best on moderate carb + moderate fat.
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Wow!!!!! Maybe there is a reason I just joined the message board. I'm learning about carbs and the fact that I CAN lose weight eating them. I will say I feel better staying away from the "bad" ones i.e. white veggies, pasta, and sugar. Thanks so much for the replies!:wink:
    There's no such thing as "bad" carbs or "good" carbs. They are all the same. 4 calories per gram.

You are SO WRONG. Take a twinkie bar that is equal to 28 cups of raw spinach. Should I paint you a picture what is good and what is bad?
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without cutting carbs. I eat over 200 a day and I still lose.

Agree... carbs don't phase me.... it's the sodium & saturated fat that'll do me in...
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Ideally you should obtain 75% of your calories from carbohydrates with one HUGE caveat: make sure those carbs are high-quality, nutrient dense carbs from un-refined, plant-based sources. So fresh fruits, vegetables, legumes, and nuts, and a small amount of whole grains. Don't eat foods that are predominantly calories from refined sugar, wheat, rice, or corn. Refined is the key word there. The closer the food is to the way it is found in nature the better. Think corn on the cob vs high fructose corn syrup.

That percentage shouldn't change whether you are trying to lose weight or not. That is just the normal human amount. However, if you are trying to gain muscle for bodybuilding purposes, you can carve out another 4-8% as protein.

LOLOL

I just rolled..literally. 75% carb?!

:laugh:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Wow!!!!! Maybe there is a reason I just joined the message board. I'm learning about carbs and the fact that I CAN lose weight eating them. I will say I feel better staying away from the "bad" ones i.e. white veggies, pasta, and sugar. Thanks so much for the replies!:wink:
    There's no such thing as "bad" carbs or "good" carbs. They are all the same. 4 calories per gram.

You are SO WRONG. Take a twinkie bar that is equal to 28 cups of raw spinach. Should I paint you a picture what is good and what is bad?

Yes, please do
  • stinamarie17
    stinamarie17 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i lovelovelove how everyone always fights over carbs.... for some people, cutting carbs helps them get the results they want faster... for some, it's health related (i too have PCOS and a hard time losing weight if i pig out on carbs)... for some people if just doesn't make a difference...

eat carbs. carbs are necessary for your body to function.... but eat carbs from healthier sources... whole grains, fruits.. just watch the processed stuff.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    ...eat carbs. carbs are necessary for your body to function.... but eat carbs from healthier sources... whole grains, fruits.. just watch the processed stuff.

Agree. I eat foods that are nutritious and they have some carbs, but not great amounts. And because my sugar readings have dropped significantly, my doctor yesterday told me I can stop taking the metformin. My NSV and very happy about it. That's a major reason I started this weight loss.
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Lost 50 lbs in 3.5 months. Low fat, moderate carb, high protein. Didn't track a damn calorie, ate a large thin crust domino's pizza a day, everyday. Worked 2 jobs, always on my feet, and ran a ridiculous amount of distance.

This time around, it has taken me longer to lose weight(more to lose even), I am low carb, high fat, high protein, I feel amazing and don't feel like I need to work out nearly as hard. My current weight is stalled, but my measurements have still decreased.

Activity makes a difference, but in terms of how I feel, I prefer Low Carb/High Fat/High Protein.

As usual: Results may vary.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

I never had one before, what are they like?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    . carbs are necessary for your body to function....

nope