How do I stop eating 6,000 calories??

Options

Replies

• ESP12
    ESP12 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary of yesterday. a couple of questions; did you look at the actual packages for cal count or picked one out of the databank? did you eat peanut M&Ms twice? 36oz of amber beer =3 bottles, really? the reason I'm asking, there is a wide range between 2 slices of thick cut bacon in the database -from 60-110 cals per slice! Be as accurate as possible. I often use the barcode reader function of my phone -makes things a lot easier 9 but double check if what comes up compares to the pack!)
    I would also suggest the go easy at first route. Like it or not, this is going to take awhile (if you want to do it the lasting, healthy, change-your-lifestyle kind of way!) Cutting in half seems a reasonable place to start. My motto has been: I can eat anything, just not everything of it! This is only going to work if you are ABLE to stick with it. If you deprive yourself too much too quickly, you are less likely to stick with it -trust me on that one!
    Best of success to you!
    Elke in MO
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    you can work out your daily calories at this site also.... http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    One step at a time... after looking at your diary - I would say you need to work on portion control... and cut back a bit on the snacks...

Research healthier, lower calorie higher nutritional alternatives for what you are currently eating -- it is doable, it is just going to take time, lots of dedication and commitment on your part... I do agree with an earlier comment, do not try to jump too fast to what it is recommended
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    you can work out your daily calories at this site also.... http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

and this ^^^
  • jckwrmn
    jckwrmn Posts: 4
    Options
    Looks like you're making a serious run at it today, good luck!
  • DivineRED1
    DivineRED1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am new to this. I put it in most of what I ate today and it is around 5,744 (I cannot remember everything) but this program says my goal should be 1,530.

Is this right? I know I eat more than some other people but is 1,530 really manageable? I am not very active but now I think I should start! Please feel free to send me any advice.

Adds up fast doesn't it! When you think about it you're like "but I only had a sandwich for breakfast and a sandwich for lunch and then some spaghetti, that's not a lot." It's not until you add it all up that makes it so in your face! The good news is, you're aware now. Simple changes like the type of bread. Maybe try whole wheat instead of white, one slice instead of two. Mustard is low cal/no cal, Franks Red Hot Sauce is 0 cal (high sodium, so watch that, drink more water). Water with lemon/lime helps me. I try to get in 3 Liters of water a day. I set a reminder on my calendar to go off every hour.

You'll do great! Logging it all and lots of water really do help!
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    That is a VERY manageable! Looking at your diary it appears that you eat a lot of junk food. Unless you are EXTREMLY active, you should not be consuming 6,000 calories a day!!

I would suggest you look very closely at what you’re eating and start cutting out the junk/fast food. That will help to lower your caloric intake. Also, look at your friends dairies and see what they are eating. This may give your ideas for replacements.

Another thing is to control you portion sizes! If you’re eating 2-3 portions of one item that would highly increase your calories.

Last thing I will say is to verify the info you are logging is correct. Although this is a great site, not all the info is correct. Verify nutrition against the back of your package.

These HAVE TO BE WRONG!!
    Save on Foods - Medium Cheddar Cheese, 2 oz 240 calories
    Western Family - Thick Sliced Bacon, 2 slices 270 calories

You may not be eating more than you think you are after all.
  • sirsachs
    sirsachs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Exercise is key, start walking, not taking the car everywhere, then take some fun classes at the gym. Also change you eating choices. For example, I remove cheese from burgers and sandwiches. I cut out all sugary soda and switched to iced tea. Those all make a difference. I agree slow but sure. Don't make all changes at once add one or two changes a week.
  • Jojo1859
    Jojo1859 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If 6000 is your normal, you should just start decreasing slowly because if you go straight to under 2000 and your body is used to 3x that much, it's going to freak out and put you into starvation mode. So try 4000 for a week then 3000 for a week and the 2000 and then what mfp says
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If 6000 is your normal, you should just start decreasing slowly because if you go straight to under 2000 and your body is used to 3x that much, it's going to freak out and put you into starvation mode.

I'm sorry but WHAT???
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna lie. When you're used to eating that many calories and you've never learned what's healthy and what's not, it's going to be tough. You're going to have to COMPLETELY change your mentality about food, and it's going to mean saying, "No!" to your body's physical addiction to processed food. The first week or two is the most difficult.

For starters, I would suggest cutting out all drinks except for water and 1 8oz. glass of milk per day (with a meal or use it in your cereal at breakfast). You'd be amazed at how many calories you're drinking every day. I'd suggest getting a 1 liter sport bottle and keep it filled all day. If you have diffuculty drinking water because it tastes too plain, try adding a squeeze of fresh lemon or orange (DO NOT ADD SUGAR!!).

Once you get a handle on what you're drinking, try eliminating white breads, pastas, rice, and potatoes. Then maybe move on to eliminating the salt shaker and stop adding sugar to everything.

Learn to read and interpret nutrition and ingredient labels. Remember that sodium, fat, and sugar content are just as important as calories (I would suggest tracking these as well as your calorie intake). Correct portion control is also VERY important. Don't try to do everything at once because that can be very overwhelming. Take it one step at a time. I would also ask your doctor about getting into a Diabetes education class (even if you're not diabetic) because they usually are very good about teaching proper nutrition.

Fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats like chicken breast and turkey breast, fish, etc... are best. If you eat breads and pastas, eat them sparingly and try to limit yourself to whole grains. If you eat nuts, eat unsalted, raw almonds and walnuts (sparingly). When shopping at the grocery store, try to avoid the center aisles as much as possible, keeping in mind that most boxed, pre-cooked, and canned goods are lacking in real nutritional value and are calorie dense.

STAY AWAY FROM EATING OUT!!!! ESPECIALLY fast food! When you eat at a restaurant, you have very little control over how your food is prepared and cooked. I would say don't eat out AT ALL for at least the first 3 to 6 months, or until you are more knowledgeable about nutrition....whichever comes first.

Overall, there are endless tips and tricks to help transition from an unhealthy, high calorie, junk food diet to a healthy, nutritious (and delicious), low calorie LIFESTYLE (try to refrain from using the word "diet"). MFP is a great learning tool. If you don't know something, ask an MFP friend who is more knowledgeable. I know it seems overwhelming, but it CAN be done. I know, because I'm doing it. It may be the most difficult thing you've ever done in your life, but it's the best thing you can do for your health. Your body will thank you later, even if it's fighting you every step of the way right now. Don't give up! Don't EVER give up! :flowerforyou:

Edit to add: Try logging your meals BEFORE you eat them. That way, if you're over your calorie goal for that meal, you can eliminate certain items or make changes to your portions BEFORE you put it in your mouth.
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    >Avoid eating pasta (extremely calorie dense).
    >Stay away from sweets - give your self 1 cheat meal a week (maybe 2 or 3 since you're used to eating a lot). Note that these are MEALS - not days.
    >Stay within your limits. If you see that you're eating 700 calories in one meal and you only have 800 calories left in a day, allocate that remaining 800 across 2-4 meals. You don't set limits just to surpass them (not when it comes to losing weight at least).
    >Drink lots of water (48-64 fluid ounces a day) - it helps your metabolism.
    >Eat slower. I don't do this, but apparently it makes it so you feel fuller.
    >Throw out everything unhealthy you may have in your kitchen (or at least the majority of the stuff) and certainly don't purchase them again at your next stop at the market.

Good luck! It's all about willpower. If you really want this, you can do it. :)
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    This has to be a joke, who eats over 5,000!calories??
    I used to eat that in a single meal at McDonald's or Wendy's or Pizza Hut, EASY. You know that there are people on this site that aren't already into fitness and healthy eating, right?
  • Mom2M_and_O
    Mom2M_and_O Posts: 214
    Options
    I question the accuracy of some of the calorie counts in your diary. Unless that is some SUPER THICK bacon, 2 slices of bacon do not equal 270 calories. 6 slices of bacon would equal 270 calories. And a cup of pasta doesn't add up that high, either. So, double-check that you've selected the correct foods from the database and that you've entered the correct number of servings.

That being said, there are easy things to cut out, but that's already been covered in other replies.
  • ELeeHam
    ELeeHam Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yeah I agree with the scaling-back-first plan; 1500 will be like going cold turkey! But DUDE (dudest, obviously that yoga pose is NOT you) good job on entering all that data for the calorie count! Look at this way: not only will you be eating healthier, but just think how simple that data entry will become. Good Luck!
  • LittleTrish
    LittleTrish Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I started my diet yesterday and my calorie intake is 1200 a day. You really have to plan your meals and to be honest, it is hard so there's no getting round it. I have my meals planned for at least 5 days so I plan breakfast, lunch and dinner and also snacks if I have any calories left lol. Wk.ends are the most difficult for me because I like to have a few glasses of wine and just chill out after the dredge of a weeks work.
    Try to top up your low fat meals with lots of veg or salad and try to drink plenty of water (im still struggling with this)
    I also have tea/coffee or even sugar free soft drinks.

Feel free to add me, I don't know if my advice will help but at least we can support each other :)
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    This has to be a joke, who eats over 5,000!calories??

I used to regularly eat from macdonald's a 20 pack chicken nuggets with 4 sweet and sour sauces, supersize fries and a supersize chocolate milkshake. I work that out to be close to 2000 calories just for lunch. 2 litre coke per day 800 calories about.
    Quite easy to eat more than 5000 calories. I now eat 1200 per day :)
  • bnmaui
    bnmaui Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    May I suggest that you significantly increase your intake of good fats (Omega 3s from fish, olive and coconut oil and real butter)
    and protein, while eliminating carbs (anything made from wheat), limit rice, and potatoes all of which turn into pure sugar in your body. Add vegies (especially raw), and lots of salads.

If you snack on deli sliced ham or turkey (six to eight slices), yogurt, and cheese, you should feel relatively full. Try for 300 - 400 calories max per snack period. Perhaps 3-4 times per day.

All sugar and carbs stimulate your apatite. Fat and protein have the opposite effect. This is the reason why life style changes like the South Beach, Primal, and Atkins diets are so effective.

I agree that you should be cutting you caloric intake in steps of 2,000. With the results you can readily see, you will quickly get to the 1,500 calorie plateau until your reach your specific goals

Exercise is also an interesting factor. You burn the same number of calories running one mile (or six for that matter), as you do walking the same distance; so obviously the answer to make certain your burning some calories exercising.

In the absence of exercise, your body will break down mussel and not your existing fat. Not good over the long run.

One last comment. It has to be a life style change not a diet, because your body hangs on to the fat cells and burns the mussel. If it's just a diet, when you go back to your regular eating habits, you'll gain all the weight back and end up heavier than you were when you started. It just the way the body protects itself.
  • lmlinnell
    lmlinnell Posts: 1
    Options
    I must say that my fiance and I started this new adventure together and I was blown away about how many calories I was taking in before I started. I am sure some days hit close to 7,000 calories and then I would go for days not eating and over the years I have messed up my metabolism, so I started this new life style last Friday and I have dropped 14 lbs so far. This is me who is on a 1390 calories daily. It is do able!!!! You have to convince your mind you are ready for changes and it will help. It will be hard I walked in today after school and my (skinny) daughter was using the deep fryer and making french fries, OMG it smelled wonderful and I probably could have ate the whole bag, but what I did I grabbed 4 french fries, and that is it. That damn will power will have to be strong, my mind was screaming inside but I controlled what I took, plus it help not to deprive myself also because then the "want" would have been more to fight. You can do it and I am definitely not a calorie counter and thank goodness to technology I love this app on my Ipod and it is making a struggle I had before so much easier.
  • pitbulllover
    pitbulllover Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmmm the pure fun i could have eating 6k a day ....

This! Lol. I wish I could eat 6k a day (without being one of those people that need cut out of their bedrooms).

That being said, what a difference in the OP's diary from yesterday to today. Great job!!