Replies

• Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    20 with the first. 23 with the second.
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I thouroughly enjoyed my 20s. Was so glad not to have married at that age. You are a totally different person in your 30s. Married at 30, 33 now and thinking about planning a family. Loving life. If you can afford $500 dollars extra a month for a kid (average cost) don't need medicaid because you can support your own family and have insurance then start thinking about it. It blows my mind that people tell me "I don't care, I got medicaid or wic or food stamps or government check". SOme people literally think it is free money. It is not. It's my tax dollars paying for your decision.
  • christamt
    christamt Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    37 with first son, 39 with daughter. happy i waited. 30 would have been nicer to start perhaps but I was still waiting for my hubby to come along!
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I had my first son at 30, my second son at 33.
  • jumpyjavajawa
    jumpyjavajawa Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I had our first this Jan. I'm 27
  • BethHanson
    BethHanson Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was 24 when I had my first child, I was married at 23. I am pregnant with my second at 26. I have no regrets! I think we both feel that we have not had to give up to much to be great parents. We still have lots of fun with friends and family, and go out for nights on the town. Wouldn't change a thing! Plus I wont be old as dirt when the kids leave the nest and me and the hubby can enjoy ourselves in later life too lol.
  • Moretakitty
    Moretakitty Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I was 40.
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the responses, but the ones I have read are giving you good advice to wait. I think you are smart to wait. I had my first at 26, miscarriage at 29, second baby at 30 and third at 31. I think 26 is a good age, but in hindsight I wish I had waited another year. My husband and I had only been married less than a year when I got pregnant and I wish we had spent some more time alone together before having children.
  • AprilLBradley
    AprilLBradley Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    i had my first at 27, my second at 28 and my last just last year at 31 (i turned 31 three days before he was born.) I would definately suggest waiting, to allow yourself time to YOURSELF. It all changes when kids enter the picture... BIG TIME. You want to make sure you have time to be young and party and make stupid decisions LOL.
  • super_jade
    super_jade Posts: 72
    Options
    I was 16 when i had my first and 19 when i had my second. The only bit i wish i could change was the reaction some people gave me, made me doubt myself a little but i realised we are good parents and we have good kids and its all fine and dandy so who cares what some old nana with her top button done up thinks? We have so much fun together i couldn't imagine life any other way.

Your kids will be a reflection of you, as long as you are happy in yourself i dont think it matters what age you are.
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I am 37 and looking at adoption for my first child. I grew up in a difficult family and always assumed I would be a poor parent like my parents were since they were the only example I had of parenting. Because of the family life I had I did not want to be part of what I thought was the dysfunction that is families. Now I feel like maybe those assumptions were wrong. I am ready to be part of a family. I will be a good mom because I will have learned from the things my parents did. But I will admitt that I am scared to death of being a parent. I also know that my entire lifestyle will change. I finally feel ready for that change.
  • mmmyotwnz
    mmmyotwnz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I got married just shy of my 21st birthday. About 12 weeks later we found out we were expecting...on the pill mind you. Two months later we found out I was having twin boys. They were born early a month before I turned 22. I had my daughter at 26 and my last boy at 28.

I was not ready to have kids at an early age, but I have enjoyed every single second of it. Was it hard, yes. All of my friends were going out, starting their careers, dating and seeing the world while I was taking care of two kids. The only thing I wished could have been different is to have finished college and started a career to fall back on. But if it meant I had to change my current situation, I wouldn't at all.

I will be 45 on Friday and I have 23 year olds living on their own, a college freshman and HS senior. In the last 5 years have started traveling the world, I am loving the experiences. In one more year I can do just about anything I set my mind to do. Whether it is going back to school, starting a new career etc. A new life is just beginning. I have to start to take care of myself after neglecting me to take care of everyone else.

Don't feel like you should be doing anything because everyone else is doing it. You will know when the time is right and if you have any doubt what so ever, it is not your time. You have at least 10 more years to grow up and find out who you are. Then you will be able to give of yourself and be a good mother(not saying you wouldn't be now).
  • Meganalva
    Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I had my first child at 18, 2nd at 21, 3rd at 23...and now I'm divorced. Although I love my kids to death, I wish I could have done it differently and gotten to enjoy my youth a little more. Oh well! :D
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    23 for my first, 25 for my 2nd and 29 for my 3rd
  • Tashia_HH
    Tashia_HH Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    19 and it's been a tough road.
  • mandamommy3
    mandamommy3 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I was 21, 22, & 24 when I had my 3. If I could I probably would have waited it is hard, I love them dearly but it is hard. You know what is right for you and you are making a smart well thought out decision, in my opinion.
  • munkey418
    munkey418 Posts: 139
    Options
    My first and only child was born 1 month after I turned 18. Needless to say she wasnt planned for at that time but it worked out :) My now husband (her father) and I have tried to add to the family only to find out I have a condition which will prevent me from having anymore kids and the fact that she even exists is a miracle. Couldnt be happier :)
  • Andwynn
    Andwynn Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I was 30 when I had my first, which is older than my mum was when she had her last (and there's an 11 year gap between me and the brother!)
  • sherylhs
    sherylhs Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I was 42 when I had my first and only. I married when I was 40, yes it took that long to find Mr. Right.

I wouldn't change a thing.

Go with your gut...
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    36 and 39, I would have been okay with a few years younger but I sure wasn't ready before 30.