How old were you when you had kids?

Options

Replies

• thelaurameister
    thelaurameister Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    21, no kids and I plan to keep it that way for at LEAST 5-6 years. The way I see it, I want to enjoy my youth. I want to be able to go out to a club or spontaneously go on a roadtrip. With kids, that's not an option. But, to each their own. It's really personal preference, there's no "wrong" or "right" time to have kids. :)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I was 27 when my daughter was born. I'm glad I wasn't ANY younger and I honestly wish I had waited till my mid-30's and enjoyed child-free living longer..
  • tbodega
    tbodega Posts: 186
    Options
    I'm 35 and I've had no kids (by choice)
    My fiance is 31 with a gorgeous shape and no kids (also by choice)

No plans in having any!! Only have children when you feel you want them and can give them the best life possible.
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    36 when I had my son and 38 when I had my daughter!! So glad I waited....I had a lot of fun before hand!! LOL!!

That is awesome!!!!
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Not taking the time to read through all of the replies...

I was 30 and the Mrs. was 29. I do not for a moment regret waiting. By the time we had 1 most of our friends had 2 and we were able to learn from their mistakes!
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I was 42 when I had my first and only. I married when I was 40, yes it took that long to find Mr. Right.

I wouldn't change a thing.

Go with your gut...

Good choice!!!! :happy:
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I was 33 when my first was born and 36 when my youngest was born.
  • ltosoni
    ltosoni Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I was 26 and feel like it was the perfect age to start and had my second and last when I was 29. I got married fairly young for today's standards at 21 but enjoyed being married for almost 5 years before added kids to the mix! I would totally wait at least another 5 years, enjoy being young!
  • calalily77
    calalily77 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I had my first at 23, second at 25 and 3rd at 30. I would still have my kids young but I would have worked harder in my earlier years to be more financially secure. I am looking forward to the time I get to relax when my kids are moved out and I am retired. Which is at the same time many of my friends kids will be getting into or out of elementary school. No regrets...Either way, there is no right or wrong age. Everyone is different. I always think its interesting how people say they are more patient now then they were when they were younger. I get more impatient as I get older.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm gonna sound old when I say this, but you're still so young. I am 31 and it absolutely want to be married with kids, but it hasn't happened for me yet. Don't rush things. Do it when you're ready. You still have plenty of time.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I was 28, and a party animal....Didn't think I was gonna be ready...but boy did he change me! (I had no choice but to grow up)

I totally support people who don't want kids....but I love my life much better now...and I still get to have fun sometimes too.

Everything is "funner" now with a child...camping, outdoors, snow days, fishing, it's all better with a 7 year old tagging along!
  • BigenFluffy
    BigenFluffy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I got married at 23 and we had our first when I was 25 and he was 30. If I could do it over, I would have waited longer. We both had good jobs and nothing holding us down. We could have traveled the world. Now, the best we can hope for is a trip to Disney.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I was 20 (married for 2 years already)...21 and 26 for my three.

When I was in my 20's I wished I had waited longer, but only for financial reasons...it was a really tight budget for a while there with deciding to be a stay at home mom. However now...I am 37...still a stay at home mom but with a lot more things going on....and I am really looking forward to being young and healthy enough to enjoy life with my husband when the kids are all gone.
  • emanna11
    emanna11 Posts: 57
    Options
    I got married young (20), stopped trying to prevent kids at 21-22, started really trying to have a kid at 25, and finally had a baby at 27. Do I think we were ready at 21-25? Probably not. Am I glad we have Little Miss now? Definitely. I think 27/30 (DH's age) was a good time for us to have our one and only child. Of course, knowing what I know now I would have spent my 20s enjoying myself instead of agonizing over not having a little one.
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I had my first son when I was 24 :) If you are unsure, just wait. Things get really serious when you have kids. You'll never feel completely carefree again. What's the rush? Just enjoy being young for awhile.
  • livinfitanfun
    Options
    I was 20 with my daughter and 23 with my son. I was married for a little over 2 years before we had our first so we did get to do a lot and have fun but I could have waited until I was older. I would wait!
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    37, 39
  • molly_grue
    molly_grue Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I was 27 when my daughter was born and 30 when my son was born.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I was 23 and 28. I would have waited longer, in hindsight. I agree with one of the other posters...if you're unsure you should definitely wait...
  • harleygaljojo
    harleygaljojo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I was 20 when we had our first child and 24 when we had the second.