Wanting to "lift heavy"... but too weak to start!

Options
124»

Replies

• aimsteen
    aimsteen Posts: 49
    Options
    The term "lifting heavy" is subjective. Your heavy may be different than another person's heavy. Do what is heavy to you. You are competing with yourself (perhaps for a lack of a better word) each and every time you lift. You've gotten some great advice on this thread. Use all of it and do some extra research for yourself. You will be amazed at the knowledge you'll gain. You gotta start somewhere...go for it!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if other women have dealt with this!

I've never been very into athletics, except basketball in middle school and dance all through high school. That being said, I've never been very strong at all. Especially after I graduated high school and stopped dancing.

Now I've been wanting to start "lifting heavy" as I've seen such great success stories with it. The problem is, I feel I don't have the physical capacity to lift heavy at all! I completed Stage 1 of NROLFW but the most I could use by the end was 10-15lb dumbbells depending on the exercise (I don't have access to a barbell so I have to use dumbbells. Yeah, no barbell at my little gym, it sucks.) Yesterday I attempted a bench press for the first time and I could only do 2 sets of 8 reps at 65lbs. I felt so pathetic!

I just feel kind of discouraged because I always see posts on here of women being like, "Just started lifting heavy today, squatted with a 75lb barbell and it felt great!" Lol I don't think I could even pick up a standard 45lb barbell of the ground, let alone squat with it. I squat with about 25lbs (two 12.5lb dumbbells) right now and it's often hard for me to finish 10 reps!

Don't get me wrong, I've gotten stronger... a copule of months ago I couldn't even do two push-ups and now I can do ten, though it's a struggle. I did used to use 10lbs to squat and now I'm up to 25lbs so that's something I know... it's just frustrating. I want to be one of those girls who lifts heavy and I'm envious of those who just jump right into it. Any other weak women out there going through the same thing?

heavy is relative! Don't fret. If 10-15 lb is heavy to you... lift it... and build yourself up. I started less than 100 lbs on the chest press and now press 195 in just a few months. On my bicep curls I started @ 30 lbs and now do 60... Yet another person in the gym would be lifting 90 ... Just start where you are at and keep adding weight as you are ready... You can do it.
  • KellyAlyssa84
    Options
    We ALL start somewhere. Do what you can and keep trying to improve each week. Even if you fail, try harder the following week. Abover all else, NEVER compare yourself to anyone else.

This is a perfect response. Do your best each day; the following day, do even better.

Good luck! I'm trying a strength regimine of my own!
  • zaftigirl
    zaftigirl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't over do it!!! As someone else said, you'll just set yourself back with an injury and you absolutely don't want to be sidelined. You'll end up like me, with a nagging shoulder injury, using 2 lbs weights for side lifts and being pissed at myself for not taking it slower.

Weight lifting made wonderful changes in my body and in my life...don't sabotage your efforts with going too heavy too fast. Or you'll end up going nowhere.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    "Lifting heavy" all comes down to the individual. For some 'heavy' might actually be light for others. But if it is heavy for you then you are doing just fine. Just stick with it and you'll see more progress soon. Like you said, your getting stronger. Keep working at it. Lifting heavy just means lifting weights that are hard for you and make your muscles work more. Nobody just starts off with high weights. Everybody has to start small.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    "Heavy" totally depends on the person. What's heavy for one person, may be light for another. It's all to do with the rep range.

this^^^ Friday some guys at the gym let me work in on the back extension. The guy before me did 12 reps of #110 pounds...I did 40 reps of 90#. He told me I made him look bad! So of course I went back yesterday and did 20 reps of #110 pounds, and 20 reps of 90#. 4 months ago I could only move 50#
  • seckler
    seckler Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has said, lifting heavy just means what is heavy for you. I just started lifting heavy too and have felt like you. But, we all have to start somewhere and the good thing is that if we just keep with it, we will get stronger!! Good luck!
  • tmpayton
    tmpayton Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    We ALL start somewhere. Do what you can and keep trying to improve each week. Even if you fail, try harder the following week. Abover all else, NEVER compare yourself to anyone else.

^^ That.

We all feel like that when we start. Just track your progress and keep going.

Sometimes, when trying to get in some extra pumps, it helps to say, "RAWR!" :tongue:
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    I'm a guy over 6 feet tall who's Max bench was 415.....and I had to start at 65 punds bench presses. And don't think it got 8 reps!

And only benching is going to get you stronger at benching, so even tho you're getting stronger with dumbbells it's not a surprise that your bench improves at a slower pace.

Sounds like you're doing awesome to me. Keep it up and never hesitate to ask for a spot.

This and your other response are very sweet and helpful...to me and hopefully the OP and the rest of the newbie lifters as well!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Just wanna say thank you all so much for you help, advice, and encouragement! I wish I could thank everyone individually but that would take wayyy too long haha. But seriously everyone has been so helpful! Going to hit the gym and lift some weights right now :)
  • ennddiiaassaassnnaacce
    Options
    Thanks for this post. Now I realize that heavy for me is different than for someone that is bigger than me. I had not thought about it in terms of my body weight to lifting weight ratio. I get it now!