Diabetes - what should I be eating

Options
2»

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Hello. I've just been put on Metformin for Diabetes because my blood sugar remained too high. I'm confused about what I should and shuildn't be eating (other than cakes, sweets, biscuits etc). Anybody know how to help me decide what I should be eating?
    i dont think it's a matter of decide?

this is information you should receive from your doctor. ask your doctor and good luck! i know many people who either reversed type 2 diabetes or significantly reduced their insulin after weight loss

also as a recovering binge eater, i have to say i had a great deal of control over what i was eating. after all, it's not like that food magically appeared in my house. I made conscious decisions to spend the money on it
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    And we all have complete control over what we put into our own mouths.
    Three words:
    Binge eating disorder.

You cannot presume to know an entire person's medical and psychological history well enough to say that they "gave themselves diabetes." Whether that is statistically more likely or not, you do not know the person, you are not in a position to pass judgement, and all n' all I'm pretty sure the snarky comment is far from appreciated. If they "gave themselves diabetes" I'm sure they're well aware of that without you pointing it out; no one was asking why they had diabetes, they were merely asking on advice on what to eat. No need to be rude and uppity about it.

Yeah it was kind of rude. I'm just so sick of people, especially many of my relatives, constantly talking about how it's "genetics" that caused all their diabetes and HTN. Meanwhile they're overweight, never exercise, and are sitting around eating baked goods and drinking juice. I can't say what I really want to in real life, so I do it here online.

I know a lot of thin non-diabetic people who live like this. While it's true that most people with type 2 diabetes have not lived the healthiest possible lifestyle, there is a reason they were more prone to developing diabetes than other people.

And if you can't say what you really want to in life, perhaps your thoughts are up for re-consideration. At the very least, you could find another website where you can take out your family of origin issues on anonymous people. Your comment was more than rude - it was remarkably disrespectful considering people are here for support.
    Type two diabetes runs in my family. My cousin who is the picture of health, she is 21, very thin, eats very well already has prediabetes and is on medication. My aunt also, who is not overweight at all and my biological father who was also not overweight at all. It is often determined by genetics no matter what we do.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    "Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes: The Scientifically Proven System for Reversing Diabetes Without Drugs"

This is a book that will help you decide what to eat to not only live with diabetes, but to cure it. Google it.
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon ( google it to check it out ) is said to help minimise glucose spikes. it maybe worth a try and cut out sugar and sugar substitutes if possible keeping sweeteners to less refined options ie honey and molasses.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Yep, now that you gave yourself diabetes,

Ummm, I didn't give myself diabetes. In fact it is a genetic thing.

So why is it so rare for anyone who has a healthy body composition, works out frequently, and eats low glycemic index foods to have diabetes type 2? And why is the percentage of people being diagnosed with diabetes type 2 skyrocketing? Sure, there is definitely a genetic component. Some (like my family) are more susceptible than others. But it's a disease caused mainly by lifestyle and diet.

And we all have complete control over what we put into our own mouths.
    Same reason people who don't smoke rarely get lung cancer. Because you can still get lung cancer without smoking, and you can still smoke and never get lung cancer. It's just that smoking is a major factor for lung cancer that you can (theoretically) control.

By the way, people with Type 1 diabetes often have problems controlling their weight, so it would not shock me to see a large diabetic population on this site for that exact reason. Not just because weight is a major factor for diabetes.
  • nazashi
    nazashi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hugs to you..
    My husband was diagnosed with diabetes a few months back.He was
    not put on meds but tried lifestyle modifications. Thankfully his blood
    results are back to normal.
    Basically he cut back on almost all simple carbs - sugary drinks,cakes,pastries etc.
    Complex carbs - whole grain bread,brown rice - about 1/2 serving per meal.
    Protein- 1 to 1.5 serving per meal.
    Vegs and certain fruits (also complex carbs)- no limits
    I tried different way of cooking to make it tasty!Surprisingly he said he's
    never hungry and feels that he's eating a lot!(he also lost about 22 pounds)
    Please see a dietician,she can make things much clearer to you..
    All the best!
  • Charmainicus
    Options
    I would like to thank all of you for your helpful comments. Rocbola, I will definitely have a look at that book. SherryRH thanks for the useful tips. My Dr has been less than helpful with regards to what I should and shouldn’t eat or what I should be looking for when selecting foods. Ahamm002 I also thank you for your insight and I have to agree that the diabetes is down to bad lifestyle choices in my case. I didn’t post this thread to get sympathy or for others to feel sorry for me, I posted it because I wanted to do something about my situation. Would you expect a smoker or an alcoholic to quit cold turkey? Food, cigarettes and alcohol are coping mechanisms, not healthy ones, but coping mechanisms all the same. Maybe you should direct your anger where it belongs rather than making sweeping uneducated comments on a forum designed to provide support. Nevertheless, you are entitled to your opinion and it’s good that you have this forum as a method of coping with your problems.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't see where she said she was type 2.
    Type I's are born that way, adult onset diabetes is Type 2.

Diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate intolerance, so the OP would be well advised to reduce her carbohydrate intake to less than 100g per day.

There is a lot of bad advice in circulation, some from Diabetes charities that have breakfast cereal company sponsorship.

So my suggestion would be to eat plenty of protein and learn to love fat, leaving carbs as the minor component of the diet.

Don't get seduced by BS about refined and whole foods or good and bad carbs.
    http://www.drbriffa.com/2012/03/05/whats-wrong-with-the-dietary-advice-diabetes-uk-dishes-out-to-diabetics/
  • LeonT76
    LeonT76 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Type I's are born that way, adult onset diabetes is Type 2
    /

I certainly wasnt born with Type 1 Diabetes.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Type I's are born that way, adult onset diabetes is Type 2
    /

I certainly wasnt born with Type 1 Diabetes.

DM type 1 onset typically occurs in childhood. It's a completely different disease than type 2 though, with completely a completely different etiology.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    DM type 1 onset typically occurs in childhood.
    Indeed, that's what I was driving at - you're born with a problem and it appears / gets noticed in your early years. You don't catch it or develop it through obesity, though I guess there may be some things that result in losing the ability to make insulin.
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Type 2 Diabetes does have a genetic link to getting if IF you do not control it. I didnt control it...I was super morbidly obese, was insulin dependant when I carried my children and afterwards was on none...and was told if I didnt lose weight my chances of it resurfacing was high...bingo...over 20 years ago it resurfaced....and my weight kept climbing...I was out of control n so was my diabetes. In sept 2009 i was on 170 units of insulin a day. by october 2011 i was on NO INSULIN and my sugars run normal now. Why? because of my weightloss and my change of lifestyle. Type 2 Diabetes can be contolled...you have that power.... irregardless if type 2 runs in the family.

A diabetic diet is basic healthy eating....balancing your protein n carbs so your sugar is put into your blood stream at a rate you can handle. See a nutritionist/dietician to get a plan for you. Mine may be different than others...
    here was my 1500 cal diabetic diet i was on at the first of my journey...

1500 cal DIABETIC DIET I used
    Breakfast:
    1 protein serving
    2 starch servings
    1 fruit/veg serving
    1 milk serving
    1 fat serving

Lunch:
    2 protein servings
    2 starch servings
    2 fruit/veg servings
    1 fat serving

Supper:
    3 protein servings
    2 starches servings
    2 fruit/veg servings
    1 fat serving

Evening Snack:
    2 protein servings
    2 starch servings
    1 fat serving

* I could have had milk with each meal but didnt, sometimes had a yogert...the kinds that is 35 cal per portion
    I chose whole grains for they slow sugar entering bloodstream, I also baked with splenda for treats but fit them into my plan.
  • veggiesaurus15
    veggiesaurus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    "Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes: The Scientifically Proven System for Reversing Diabetes Without Drugs"

This is a book that will help you decide what to eat to not only live with diabetes, but to cure it. Google it.

I agree. You can YouTube anything by Dr. Neal Barnard, Dr. Joel Fuhrman, or Dr. John McDougall on diabetes, and you will find a lot of information just on YouTube. My local library also have most of their books, so check there first if you don't want to buy a book!! Good luck!
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options

I agree. You can YouTube anything by Dr. Neal Barnard, Dr. Joel Fuhrman, or Dr. John McDougall on diabetes, and you will find a lot of information just on YouTube. My local library also have most of their books, so check there first if you don't want to buy a book!! Good luck!

. The American Diabetes association has released the following recently: http://forecast.diabetes.org/news/low-carb-diet-improves-type-2-diabetes-control