Fitness with your dog?

Options
I'm wondering if anyone partakes in fitness with their dogs? As in perhaps running with them? I have a terrier/chihuahua mix who recently turned a year old. I adopted him when he was 6 months old. He's incredibly hyperactive so I do take him on lots of walks, often times he is still extremely energetic. Sometimes I just chase him around at the park so he gets out his energy and I get some exercise. He outruns me all the time, haha. I've been thinking of running with him but I've never been running and not sure how he'd do either, as he still tends to pull on the leash a lot. Anyone have advice/tips?

Replies

• BrokenBarbiexoxo
    BrokenBarbiexoxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have the same, he's 5 months and jack russel/chihuahua mix and super hyper and pulls alot, I do the same as you, chase him like a loon around a field!

I'm interested to see what people say to this, I'd like to try also :)
  • jude666
    jude666 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Hi there! My dog is my running buddy (I have a 2.5 yr old Border Collie). He used to pull on the lead(and still does sometimes) when we took him for walks, but when i'm running he trots by my side and really doesn't pull. He does occasionally get distracted and pulls me to one side if there's something he is desperate to sniff! But most of the time he is well behaved.

It's a great idea if you want to get into running yourself, he really does spur me on to continue and you can tell he enjoys it too. You're kinda killing two birds with one stone when you run with your dog. I recommend it!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • merisendabills
    Options
    Hi there! My dog is my running buddy (I have a 2.5 yr old Border Collie). He used to pull on the lead(and still does sometimes) when we took him for walks, but when i'm running he trots by my side and really doesn't pull. He does occasionally get distracted and pulls me to one side if there's something he is desperate to sniff! But most of the time he is well behaved.

It's a great idea if you want to get into running yourself, he really does spur me on to continue and you can tell he enjoys it too. You're kinda killing two birds with one stone when you run with your dog. I recommend it!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:

Thanks! I'll try it out!
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    When I take my 10 year old lab/pit mix on walks she sometimes pulls, usually only when she see's another dog or animal (she thinks everyone's her best friend) When we rollerblade, run or ride a bike she trots right beside me. I got a pincher collar (not a choke chain) for her and she is very good with it. She's an extremely active healthy old lady and everyone always thinks she's still a puppy! She keeps me going on those days I really dont want to walk. It's like she knows so she wines and there's nothing like seeing how excited she gets when I grab her leash. GOOD LUCK!
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I run with my German Shepherd. Sometimes with 2 of them. They tend not to be on the lead and I also run round farmer fields so no people. They are brilliant. When you start running, one goes ahead in line with me and the other behind me. They are my body guards :) They seem to know if i'm running to play, or running for exercise as if Its to play they jump around and get excited whereas they just go into their 'places' otherwise lol Its fun, I would recommend it
  • merisendabills
    Options
    When I take my 10 year old lab/pit mix on walks she sometimes pulls, usually only when she see's another dog or animal (she thinks everyone's her best friend) When we rollerblade, run or ride a bike she trots right beside me. I got a pincher collar (not a choke chain) for her and she is very good with it. She's an extremely active healthy old lady and everyone always thinks she's still a puppy! She keeps me going on those days I really dont want to walk. It's like she knows so she wines and there's nothing like seeing how excited she gets when I grab her leash. GOOD LUCK!

A pincher collar - I'll have to try that! Might make him pick up the heel command easier.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I have a border collie - lurcher cross and she's coming up to 2 years now (21 months).

My man and I have run with her since she was about 8 months old. Initially no great distances like 3 milers etc. Now she'll happy run for 2-3 hours. We usually run off-lead with her. Her recall is impeccable and we run on rural trails where there is no traffic.

Google "cani-x". Cani cross is running & racing for runners with dogs. It's a great laugh.

http://www.canicross.org.uk/

Click on the equipment link and you'll see the range of running harnesses with bungee leads most appropriate for running with your dog (if you feel they must be on a lead).
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Tried running with my dogs but the greyhounds can't keep up with me!

Yeah I wish! My border collie loves a run with me, but our Kings Charles Spaniel's legs are too short so a run soon tires him out
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    ps a pincher collar for a chihuahua???? That sounds way over the top. I very occasionally see them on Rottweilers or Alsations but they are no substitute for good positive behaviour training.

You might want to read some of the responses here...
    http://www.dogster.com/answers/question/would_you_recommend_a_pinch_collar-23169

I volunteer at a local dog shelter and we NEVER use them, not even on the very big dogs.
  • kells1970
    kells1970 Posts: 29
    Options
    Yip i have a year old Shu titz cross Chi wa wa (sorry no idea how to spell that) and he comes running with me 3/4 times a week. We do about 3 or 4 miles each time and he absolutely loves it. He the best running companion i have ever had:)
  • kells1970
    kells1970 Posts: 29
    Options
    Yip i have a year old Shu titz cross Chi wa wa (sorry no idea how to spell that) and he comes running with me 3/4 times a week. We do about 3 or 4 miles each time and he absolutely loves it. He's the best running companion i have ever had:)
  • Sheeshy
    Sheeshy Posts: 133
    Options
    I have this:

http://www.stuntpuppy.com/gear/stunt-runner

It may seem a little pricey for a leash, but seriously, it is THE BEST leash ever!! It clips around your waist like a belt, leaving your arms free, the leash part is stretchy, and my dog can just run circles around me while I jog. He may still pull some, but I don't really notice it, because he's not ripping my arm all over the place. :)
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I take my black lab Oscar when I go for a jog (he also pulls when walking) Hes over half my body weight and when he wants to stop at smell something you stop with him!! Bit annoying when you get into the flow but he loves it as much as me and is pretty good once you get going :)
    Just build it up slow with your pup the bones are still developing and if you over do it to start with he might get joint problems when hes older
  • zophiel67
    zophiel67 Posts: 181
    Options
    I'm a vet, so I'm gonna come in on the dog side of things. Whether or not you run is totally up to you. Running with your dog can be great, but they need to be trained just like a human. Whoever suggested starting out at 3-milers got lucky that they didn't end up with injuries to their dogs' feet - I've seen plenty from folks who have been runners & adopt a dog and just start taking them out. Start with short distances (1/4 to 1/2 mi) and slowly work up. Their foot pads need to toughen, their joints need to develop more lubrication, their muscles need to strengthen, and their heart & lungs need to expand capacity. Just like you. Also keep in mind that not every dog is a runner. Some don't enjoy it, some have ailments (such as heart murmurs or bone diseases) that make it not a good idea, and some are just too tiny to keep up. A terrier chihuahua cross is probably taking at least 5-10 steps for every one of yours. They may cover the same distance, but they're working a heck of a lot harder.

As for the pulling, please don't use a pinch collar. They can actually damage the underlying tissue, and there are a few important things that run through the neck like the windpipe and the jugular veins. Try the running leashes recommended or a Gentle Leader. That one takes more training for the dog, but is well worth it in the end.

Oh, and KEEP YOUR DOG ON A LEASH. I know some folks live in rural areas where they don't encounter many vehicles or other people or animals, but it only takes one time. I've euthanized plenty of dogs the first time they were hit by a car, and have stitched up many a dog after their first fight (even euthanized a couple of those).
  • PattyCake123
    PattyCake123 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I love running with my dog! It's my main form of exercise. She is a boxer/dane mix. Just make sure you work your little buddy up to the runs and at least here it is starting to get super hot out so be careful he stays hydrated too.
    I also have a pincher collar for her, but because it is what we are using at doggy classes. It is not a metal one though, it's made of plastic and is a bit more gentle on her. Be careful using those on little dogs, if you yank too hard by accident over time you can cause damage to their tracheas. If it is something you are considering using I would learn how to use it from a professional first, or work with someone on training your dog with different techniques. It takes a lot of work and consistancy but not having my big girl try and drag me along while we run and not having sore arms from being pulled is totally worth it.
  • bazaar1982
    bazaar1982 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm a vet, so I'm gonna come in on the dog side of things. Whether or not you run is totally up to you. Running with your dog can be great, but they need to be trained just like a human. Whoever suggested starting out at 3-milers got lucky that they didn't end up with injuries to their dogs' feet - I've seen plenty from folks who have been runners & adopt a dog and just start taking them out. Start with short distances (1/4 to 1/2 mi) and slowly work up. Their foot pads need to toughen, their joints need to develop more lubrication, their muscles need to strengthen, and their heart & lungs need to expand capacity. Just like you. Also keep in mind that not every dog is a runner. Some don't enjoy it, some have ailments (such as heart murmurs or bone diseases) that make it not a good idea, and some are just too tiny to keep up. A terrier chihuahua cross is probably taking at least 5-10 steps for every one of yours. They may cover the same distance, but they're working a heck of a lot harder.

As for the pulling, please don't use a pinch collar. They can actually damage the underlying tissue, and there are a few important things that run through the neck like the windpipe and the jugular veins. Try the running leashes recommended or a Gentle Leader. That one takes more training for the dog, but is well worth it in the end.

Oh, and KEEP YOUR DOG ON A LEASH. I know some folks live in rural areas where they don't encounter many vehicles or other people or animals, but it only takes one time. I've euthanized plenty of dogs the first time they were hit by a car, and have stitched up many a dog after their first fight (even euthanized a couple of those).

^^^^ so glad someone else said about the pinch coller - was going to say it myself! I think they are banned in the UK anyway (if I'm not mistaken) but if not they are definatley frowned upon. As a behaviourist in training my suggestion would be to use positive reinforcement to stop the dog pulling or (and i'll credit victoria stillwell with this one!) try walking the other way everytime he/she pulls - they'll soon get the message.

As for the running - there is a pooch to 5k programme, designed by a vet for beginner runners K9 and human: http://www.poochto5k.com/
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I wish I had the energy of my two! The Border collie would run for hours if I let her!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlJK_KrJxuc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDqkA-yL0QU
  • Sheeshy
    Sheeshy Posts: 133
    Options
    I don't use any kind of pinch or choke collar either - If you get a good jogging leash, it is to be used with a normal collar or harness. I wan't trying to advertise for anyone earlier, but I told a girl at work to get a jogging leash, and when she went to the pet store and asked, they gave her a choke collar :( So I figured I'd be specific from now on!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :love: Love the responses. Thanks to the Vet for posting. Our lab mix Raychal (who has since gone to live in heaven to protect my mom) ran with my son. Because he was new to it, she trained up with him. '

The only thing I would point out is check the asphalt with your hand before starting a run.

Once I took her for a walk and didn't think of that. I spent 2 days off work tending to my babies pads, and didnt sleep for a month thinking of what I did to her.:cry:

Of course SHE forgave me instantly! That is why I adore dogs. They know we make mistakes and love them with all our heart so forgive us instantly.:smooched:

I am going to look up that http://www.poochto5k.com/ program for my black lab. She is full of energy and with no yard now she must be going nuts!:wink: I have the c25k and want to start that with my dog.

As for the pinch collars. I have an Aussie with thick fur. She twists like one of those slinky dogs. If I use a regular collar, she slips right out, the gentle leader she still flips and I worry about her cervical bones/discs. Seems the pinch collar is the only thing that has the right effect on her. She feels my gentle tug and stops the behaviour immediately.

I had to weigh the chance of injury from the collar vs the chance of being hit by a car. ( Oh and once, when I was walking her on a regular collar she got loose and chased a duck into the pond. She went straight towards the middle following the duck. She has a heart condition so I knew she would just have a seizure and die. So I had to jump in and save her. Blech, ponds in South Florida are really REALLY gross:sick: ) :laugh:

Thanks for the http://www.poochto5k.com/ link!:flowerforyou:
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I have 2 greyhounds and they are useless for fitness.

They can't join me on a jog. It is a constant pulling at their harness to move. It is either sleep, walk or sprint 40 seconds at 45 miles/hr (70km/hr).