breakfast cereal for adults and children???

Options
After learning what was really in our many boxes of cereal...I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on what to eat. I can make myself a bowl of rolled oats in morning and manage to get them down but there is now way my child will eat that. Any suggestions for kids and breakfast cereal???

Replies

• mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Live Strong has a great article with the top ten: http://www.livestrong.com/article/89186-top-kids-cereals/
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    what about cheerios? theyre not bad...I think...or maybe honey bunches of oats, or shedded minis.
  • azwaa
    azwaa Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Kids taste buds can change.Only buy healthy cereal and they will eat it. They may prefer the sickly sweet stuff, but if you are strong, they will change (or at least accept it).
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    1700851-cereal_reeses_puffs_super.jpg
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Kashi is a good brand and has several sweet cereals that your kids might like.
  • Kaddyshack21
    Kaddyshack21 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    In my house we rotate between Cheerio's and Rice Krispies. We don't add sugar to our cereal and my daughter loves them both. I think it's just what they get use to.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    No way Acg.

THIS is the cereal.

miniwheats.jpg
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    We like the Multi-grain cheerios. They're excellent to take with us as a snack, too. I often put in blueberries or raspberries. And my 3-yr old loves oatmeal. He'll eat it plain or with a smashed banana added.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Why won't your child eat that? My 4 and 5 year old will ask for oatmeal. I'll put peanut butter in it, berries, banana, milk, cinnamon, raisins, apples, whatever I have available.
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    If I am ever taking in big carbs its cocoa crispies!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with cereal? Let kids be kids for cryin out loud. A bowl of cereal in the morning isn't going to kill them. Just use skim milk instead of Vit D, or better yet the vanilla soy milk.

On that note. my toddler LOVES the frosted mini wheats with fruit in the middle. And my 8 year old willingly picks raisin bran crunch. 2 fairly good cereals.
  • maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Shop at Whole Foods or somewhere sililiar. They make store brand cereals that are kid friendly without all the added garbage.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Go with something organic. No cereal is great, because they're all made from refined grains. But if it's organic, at least you know it's not being made with genetically modified ingredients. My kids love the Cascadian Farms cereals. If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, get one of their store brand cereals.
  • lynndecamp
    lynndecamp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean Crunch! has a good sweetness and with frut added tastes even better! My kids are loving it.:smile:
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal!!

Add in some fruit & nuts, or my personal favorite - a little maple syrup!
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    cherrios, frosted flakes (in right portions they are fine), rice krispies, chex and sometimes i slurge on something sugary and sweet like trix or cocoa pebbles but they can only have it on the weekends. they love it. it's like a reward for being good all week.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with cereal? Let kids be kids for cryin out loud. A bowl of cereal in the morning isn't going to kill them. Just use skim milk instead of Vit D, or better yet the vanilla soy milk.

On that note. my toddler LOVES the frosted mini wheats with fruit in the middle. And my 8 year old willingly picks raisin bran crunch. 2 fairly good cereals.

Yep. Let's up our kids with extra estrogen from soy!
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Hate all you want, but this man knows his cereal.

Capn-Crunch-300x259.gif

On another note. If you're looking for cereals with possibly better macro breakdowns for most peoples diets. Kashi Go Lean is pretty decent.
  • Rachel4343
    Rachel4343 Posts: 19
    Options
    They have a gluten free peanut butter Cherrios now..it is wonderful...tastes like Cap'n Crunch peanut butter. But hey it is multi grain Cherrios :)
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    My kids love just plain wheat chex with strawberries or plain rice crispies, but sometimes i will sneak them a bowl of Puffed Brown Rice cereal and they love that too. I add stevia to them or agave nectar for sweetness. Of course, my kids eat pretty healthy at all of their meals because that's how my household is.... so, if they have Cocoa Pebbles once or twice, ya know, here & there.. then it's really no biggie. They know it's not all the time and since my boys are old enough to read (they're 7) then we look at nutrition labels together. That was a major thing for me. I never see kids read nutrition labels and I never read them until I started all this getting healthy business. We don't look at packaging because it's just an advertising lie (I work in advertising so I taught them the tricks that companies use to make the package look pretty but the stuff inside is crap). Then, when they were younger (4-5 yrs old), it was a game. "Help Mommy find the cheese with the smallest number on Fat. Who can spell the word Fat? Ok, good.... now check some cheeses and we'll see who wins". They would scour the cheeses for the lowest fat and then we would compare other stuff and talk about it. Kids are way smart and very helpful in my opinion.