OMG lifting heavy made me so bulky!!

Options
1235»

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    this is the best thread Ive seen so far this morning. Thanks for posting!
  • Tina180130
    Tina180130 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work.
  • NMJosephs
    NMJosephs Posts: 185
    Options
    BUMP - I definitely want to check out these pictures when I'm home from work!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Heidi, you look awesome! "Bulky" looks good on you and every female that lifts heavy things! Way to go!
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    You look GREAT! :flowerforyou: Thanks for posting!

I love your hardcore AV photo!
  • mandypooh2103
    mandypooh2103 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    so in regards to 'needing to do cardio to get lean' and not relying on diet alone to create a deficit - i'm interested to know - how much of a deficit are you talking about per day, to get lean.
    i do minimal cardio and don't intend on increasing really, but obviously i want to hear about this. i am not sure i understand the difference between looking hot (my goal) lol and being lean.... sorry im new to it all, really keen to hear what sort of a deficit from cardio is needed. could't you just modify your diet to create a smaller deficit and get the same result over a longer period of time? (so not starving yourself of what you need?)
    walldancer is spot on. You have to choices, you either increase your activity rate or you decrease your calorie intake. The problem is you can only go so far with decreasing your calorie intake. As I stated before, very few are able to get lean without doing some form of cardio on top of weight lifting.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Ok...the reason he says you NEED to do cardio, it that if you rely on diet alone, you will have to eat VERY LITTLE calories to get that lean. This is counter productive to maintaining your muscle mass, and does not give you enough food to supply the nutrients you need to be healthy. It's better to eat more and burn off with cardio than not eat. Even if you burn off calories..you don't burn off the nutrients of the food you ate...just the energy storage in fat. Starving will force your body to lose fat..but also force you to lose muscle, and deprive your body of essential vitamins in sufficient quantities.

I'm far from starving, and firmly believe in eating enough. I eat 2300 a day, and on exercise days (4-5 times a week) this works out at around 1800-1900 NET. Strength burns calories too, even if it's not as much in that particular session.
    - Around 140g protein, 250g carbs, 70g fat.
    - I also get around 20-30g fibre, and try and get 5 fruit & veg a day.

I'm fairly active in daily life with walking everywhere, but not excessively so. This combined with regular strength training activity allows me to still lose weight (albeit slowly) at the amount I'm on. I don't support 1200 calorie diets at all, unless you're tiny, and completely sedentary.

Yes I got that. I'm talking about if you want to get really lean..like shredded lean. Think 12 - 15% body fat(or less). You have to diet and calorie restrict to get there. That is why fitness/figure competitors have their "off season" bodies and their competition bodies. It's not healthy to maintain that lean a body mass...and the diet that is required to maintain it is not healthy.

Good point, I didn't think of competing :) I'm sure it's extremely hard to get down to that level, I couldn't do it.
    What is your opinion on a lean fat %, but one that is maintainable year round for a woman who may not want to compete, such as 15-18%? Surely this could be achieved with just a small deficit. (My lowest was 16-17% I think, but I didn't have as much muscle, hence going on a bulk.) At that level of body fat, a woman should be able to see definition and be quite cut, as long as they have the muscle to show. That would still be classed as very lean IMO, but not so much so that it becomes impossible to maintain.
    Your level on leaness is based on your commitment to stay at that level. It's the simple.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    Here's a link and photo to a friend I helped with getting prepped for the San Jose Bikini Championships this past weekend.

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=04IP009G070011&po=11&pc=1597

And yes she lifts HEAVY.

EDIT: Just realized that the link goes to the first pic. Her pics start at #150.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Here's a link and photo to a friend I helped with getting prepped for the San Jose Bikini Championships this past weekend.

http://www.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=04IP009G070011&po=11&pc=1597

And yes she lifts HEAVY.

EDIT: Just realized that the link goes to the first pic. Her pics start at #150.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

She looks fantastic! :)
  • sourabh406
    Options
    Great Job. Your hard work shows...
  • littlelol
    littlelol Posts: 539
    Options
    IVE ALWAYS been afraid to lift as I thought it would make my legs bulky ans there quite thick anyway. This has reALLY HELPED ME XX
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    Love this!! Super job!
  • castroje
    castroje Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Beautiful!!!

19747159.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!