Replies

• TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I believe it's illegal in some states?
  • jzrharv
    jzrharv Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I crank out 12 miles almost every day on our bike trail and I wear headphones. I have a mirror on my handle bars for watching who is coming up behind me. I'm also one of those people that prefers not to wear a helmet. I guess I am a risk taker...even at 51. Life is to be enjoyed to the fullest. A bike helmet makes my scalp itch and music makes it a very pleasant experience. Too each his own!!!

Um, just saying, but there is a special term for folks who engage in such activity, it's "organ donor".

Just make sure your card is up-to-date...
  • laughablyginger
    Options
    My cousin was recently hit by a car when he was out for a jog. The lady was on her cell phone and ran through a yield on a crosswalk. He wasn't more seriously injured because he was paying attention and was able to slide across her windshield. I shudder to think about what might have happened if they were BOTH not paying attention. :( There are crazy people out there, so its up to you to stay safe!
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    First, any solution that allows you to hear your music but also hear your surroundings is best. Those who say no way must also prefer for deaf people to not run or ride. I just purchased some bone conduction headphones which leave both ears open and the music is fantastic.

http://www.aftershokz.com/
  • Joneses17
    Joneses17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Outside there is so much going on that I usually forget to turn on my music but when I do I either have it very low or one ear bud in. When I'm at the gym it's loud since there is no danger.
  • bulletprooff
    Options
    If it's not too disturbing to others, you can listen to it without any earbuds in your ear. If you use a phone with a speaker that's one way, or you can crank your volume all the way up and keep your headphones around your neck.

Otherwise, one earbud (NOT A NOISE CANCELLING ONE) on a lower volume.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I wear one in my right ear so I can still hear traffic and people who are passing. Sorry, but I can't stand riding without tunes.

ETA: I can hear everything when I ride. I can hear enough to yell at the people who don't call out when they are passing and enough to say hello or thank you to those that do call out. As far as road riding, if a car is going to drive like an a-hole and hit me, they will do it whether I am listening to music (in one ear) or not. At least I have my helmet on.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I wear mine I just don't turn them up super loud.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    No. Just don't.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    For me, listening to low volume music does not equate to wearing blinders and not paying attention to anything else. As with anything, if you can multi-task and still function safely...go for it (just be sure you're still paying attention to your surroundings). You listen to music or talk radio while driving a car without killing yourself or others, right?

Apparently a lot of people here are not able to do this. They probably don't chew gum while walking either :laugh:
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think it's a bad idea. You should be able to hear what's around you, even on a bike path. I know when I'm cycling and say "on your left" when I pass someone with ear buds or headphones and they can't hear me, it makes me worry that they might move into my path, not realizing I'm passing them.

^^ this happened to me on the bike path. I was on my bike and there was a runner and a couple of walkers. The runner was wearing headphones and obviously had them turned up too loud. The walkers heard me yell 'on your left' and slowed down... then the runner who did not hear me got into the left lane to pass the walkers and I nearly took her out and almost crashed!! :angry:

If you absolutly have to wear both earbuds.... turn them down so you can still hear what is going on around you!! Better yet only wear one or none at all. Be safe and pay attention!! :wink:
  • jasonweinberg
    Options
    for all of you declaring riding with earphones on a bike path (i mean one with no cars not a bike path on the side of a road) "extremely dangerous" or even "suicidal" can you please show me that this is anything other than your opinion? i do it all the time, have for years, can still hear outside noise even with earbuds in, and have never had any kind of an incident that seemed even remotely dangerous to me.
  • louisey112
    louisey112 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Not to be a downer, but a friend of mine's cousin got killed that way - she had her Ipod on riding on the street and a truck hit her ... I would advise against it, but I guess maybe it depends on traffic as well ....
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Not to be a downer, but a friend of mine's cousin got killed that way - she had her Ipod on riding on the street and a truck hit her ... I would advise against it, but I guess maybe it depends on traffic as well ....

As I clearly said in my post, I wouldn't be riding in the street.
  • jasonweinberg
    Options
    The walkers heard me yell 'on your left' and slowed down... then the runner who did not hear me got into the left lane to pass the walkers and I nearly took her out and almost crashed!! :angry:

um, maybe you are the one that should be slowing down in this instance? i never race by people and yell "on your left". i slow down and say hi to them as i ride by.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Single bud, only in right ear, low volume. Pause it when in high traffic/intersection areas.

I've only ever done it once (for directions on a route in an unfamiliar city) and didn't care for it. Though, having been hit by a car before, I'm probably a little biased.

• sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options

Truck probably would have hit her whether or not she was listening to music. I think the truck driver was most likely to blame. I was hit by a car once while not wearing headphones.
  • future_runner
    future_runner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I do it. I keep the volume low and if the bike trails are busy I only use one. Until I broke my strap that held my iPhone in place though I would strap it to middle of the handlebars with the volume full blast.
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I wear my headphones on the bike path and riding through residential areas. I keep the volume at a level where I can jam and still hear cars around me. If more traffic areas, I take out one bud. So far I haven't managed to kill myself.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    My earlier responses were all related to riding on a PATH.. When it comes to riding on streets, its definitely a different story.

I am of the opinion that the rule of bikes riding WITH traffic should be reconsidered in this day and age of distracted drivers. When I do ride "off path", I'm generally on dirt/country roads with a few stops/crossings, and I generally ride against traffic. As both a biker and a driver, I'd rather know that we can both see the other one coming!