Would you tell?

Options
creech6317
creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
So on a side note to the whole "side chick" topic. If you knew a couple and you knew one of them was cheating (had been for a significant amount of time, one night fling, whichever).
Would you tell the other person in the committed relationship?
Would you talk to the one cheating to try to get them to stop?
Or would you do nothing?

Replies

• mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I would tell the one being cheated on. It's their right to make an informed decision in their relationship. The person being cheated on may also have health risks they have a right to know.
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    As much as I hate getting into other people's business, I would most likely say something. If the situation was turned around, I would really like someone to tell me.
  • DrewMaxwell
    DrewMaxwell Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    As much as I hate getting into other people's business, I would most likely say something. If the situation was turned around, I would really like someone to tell me.

^^^ This
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options

This +1
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    That would be extremely situational.
  • looking4au
    looking4au Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Do nothing, nothing, nothing!!!! Cannot express this enough!
  • Expialidojess
    Expialidojess Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I guess it would really depend on what your relationship was to the couple. To me that's just not a situation I would want to be caught in the middle of, especially if you are friends with both of the people.
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    One of my besties has been having affairs quite a bit. Although I do not agree with it and feel bad for her spouse, I do not feel it is my place to judge or say anything. It is her life and whatever happens...happens. Karma can be nasty and those who choose to do things will have to face the consequences. She is my friend regardless and I will not rat her out or judge her for her decisions.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    That would be extremely situational.

This. If's my best friend, of course. If it's someone quite removed, I am not sure I want to go and the be the one who starts that **** storm.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    One of my besties has been having affairs quite a bit. Although I do not agree with it and feel bad for her spouse, I do not feel it is my place to judge or say anything. It is her life and whatever happens...happens. Karma can be nasty and those who choose to do things will have to face the consequences. She is my friend regardless and I will not rat her out or judge her for her decisions.

In the meantime, she puts her husband at risk for STDs, embarrassment, and heart-ache.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    There are so many variables. Who am I closer to? Was it a "legit" mistake? How serious the two of them are? All sorts of things.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options

In the meantime, she puts her husband at risk for STDs, embarrassment, and heart-ache.

^^Exactly.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is, it's none of your business what someone else does in their relationship. Unfortunately I learned this the hard way and nearly ruined a very good friendship.

If you feel like you MUST talk to one of them, speak to the cheater in private. Do not tell the cheatee and definitely don't tell others in your circle of friends. Look, I hate cheating like nothing else and get very upset if I hear someone I know is cheating on their spouse/partner but it's not worth the stress and upheavel you'll go through if you get in the middle of it.

ETA: That is a good point above about why most people feel like they should tell the cheatee about the cheating. And like I said, I get it. I personally can't stand being around cheaters. Took a break from one friendship over it and have ended other less worthy friendships over it. Cheating is a sneaky underhanded thing to do, especially in a marriage where you've VOWED to be faithful to that person in front of your family, friends (and most of the time, the church/God). So cheaters aren't just lying to their spouse, they're lying to all of the people that were there that love them and their spouse. Shameful...
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    No, because you don't know the whole story.

I had a friend that I knew was cheating on her husband. After about a year, she finally revealed turns out he was cheating on her long before, and might actually have another child with the OW.
  • aleka1961
    aleka1961 Posts: 18
    Options
    I wouldnt tell. Not my business.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Nope. Once I was coming from lunch. As I walked to my car, I looked across the street at a local motel, and saw the wife of my best friend (and Best Man at my wedding) coming out of a room with another man. I never said a word to him

They eventually divorced.

If you decide to get involved, it can go badly for you. You become involved and, if they work things out, you are a reminder of their problems and you will probably lose them both as friends.
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options

^^Exactly.

This again!!

And there is never a "legit" reason to cheat. Someone is in an abusive relationship? Walk away. Someone is already being cheated on? Walk away. Don't cheat.

Also- if you don't tell, and some how the cheated on finds out- how do you think that will bode for your relationship?
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Unless there was a divorce in the works, odds are I would end the friendship so I couldn't get caught up in the middle of things for knowing and telling or for knowing and not telling because really depending on your friendship to the spouse you could get hit with blame from either direction. the last time I saw the cheater I would make sure he/she knew why we were not going to be friends anymore.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

^^Exactly.

This again!!

And there is never a "legit" reason to cheat. Someone is in an abusive relationship? Walk away. Someone is already being cheated on? Walk away. Don't cheat.

Also- if you don't tell, and some how the cheated on finds out- how do you think that will bode for your relationship?

I'm not suggesting you tell. I'm suggesting you quit referring to a perpetual cheater as your bestie and get some new friends that, perhaps... deserve some respect and a loyal friendship. Because she doesn't.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I mind my own business. It has worked so far.