Cardio before or after weight training?

Options

Replies

• RaysfanATL
    RaysfanATL Posts: 94
    Options
    I am going to try this tomorrow, i always do cardio, either treadmill or eliptical first, then do the weight training. l am curious to see and feel the difference!
  • lilmzzgreeneyez
    lilmzzgreeneyez Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i am glad to hear that this is true. my gym gave me information and a program taht has me doing exactly this. and at first i did my cardio at first (i didnt do my program in order at first) and i got "scolded" by one of the ladies who work there about what i was doing needing to be in order (10 minutes warm up cardio, strength training, ab exercises, and then 20-25 minutes or more of cardio at the end, (stretch afterward) i started doing it right a few weeks ago. i do it only 2 time a week because zumba is my other 3 days at the gym. (i have limited gym time because of my children)
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this!
  • ashleyfritzchampine
    Options
    I usually do cardio first for 10 minutes, then go into weight training. Between sets I jump rope or do jumping jacks. Then after strength its back to cardio for 30-40 minutes.

This is pretty much exactly how my workout goes....I'm going to switch it around and try warm-up, then my strength-training, and then my major cardio workout....see how i'm feeling after all of it in comparison to my normal routine....
  • Elyssa_38
    Elyssa_38 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Just quick questio on this, how long should each section be ? is there a over doing point?

Thanks for posting this info. one of the trainers at the gym had pointed this out.!
  • nenazagal
    nenazagal Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Great post. I was just wondering that! Thanks ill try it next time.
  • AmyB69
    AmyB69 Posts: 117
    Options
    Starting tomorrow I'll be doing weights first! Up until now I've always done cardio first. I've had great results, but I'll give this a shot. Thanks for posting!
  • o2bADyer
    o2bADyer Posts: 208
    Options
    I've been doing it backwards! Thank you so much!!!
  • shellybean73
    shellybean73 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    As a certified fitness trainer, I would get the question from clients and gym members, when is it better to do cardio? Before or after weight training? It's very simple, cardio after weight training. Why?

In order to get the maximum benefits out of your fitness plan for both muscle retention and fat loss, cardio training must be done after weight training.

It's really not an opinion but purely physiology in the how and when our body pulls energy from three sources within our body. The glycogen stores within the muscle tissue, muscle tissue itself, and the fat cell.

If you execute cardio before your weight training, two things happen:

1. You utilize the glycogen (energy) stored in the muscle tissue which you actually need to help get you through your weight training program (muscle contractions);

2. You possibly eliminate your bodies opportunity to utilize (burn) the energy in the fat cell which is mostly what we strive to achieve.

If you change to this combo:

1. Warm up on cardio for 5 minutes;

2. Execute your weight training program (glycogen is used to perform the muscle contractions);

3. Execute your cardio training program (glyocen stores are at their lower points from the weight training allowing the body to go to the fat cell for energy, thus shrinking the fat cell on top of the muscle;

4. Stretch

You are also giving your body the opportunity to allow the enzymes in the muscle tissue to increase which helps to increase your metabolism which in turn helps you burn fat more efficiently even while your body is at rest; you are giving your body the opportunity to shrink the fat cells down ultimately helping the muscle tone to shine through.

Also, remember that if you have been executing cardio before weight training and you are over training by going beyond th 65-75% on your maximum heart rate called the anaerobic training zone, your body could start using your muscle tissue for energy which can reduce your metabolism and increase your bodies ability to store fat.

So, cardio after weight training. Do that one change, and you will see results.
  • shellybean73
    shellybean73 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    As a certified fitness trainer, I would get the question from clients and gym members, when is it better to do cardio? Before or after weight training? It's very simple, cardio after weight training. Why?

In order to get the maximum benefits out of your fitness plan for both muscle retention and fat loss, cardio training must be done after weight training.

It's really not an opinion but purely physiology in the how and when our body pulls energy from three sources within our body. The glycogen stores within the muscle tissue, muscle tissue itself, and the fat cell.

If you execute cardio before your weight training, two things happen:

1. You utilize the glycogen (energy) stored in the muscle tissue which you actually need to help get you through your weight training program (muscle contractions);

2. You possibly eliminate your bodies opportunity to utilize (burn) the energy in the fat cell which is mostly what we strive to achieve.

If you change to this combo:

1. Warm up on cardio for 5 minutes;

2. Execute your weight training program (glycogen is used to perform the muscle contractions);

3. Execute your cardio training program (glyocen stores are at their lower points from the weight training allowing the body to go to the fat cell for energy, thus shrinking the fat cell on top of the muscle;

4. Stretch

You are also giving your body the opportunity to allow the enzymes in the muscle tissue to increase which helps to increase your metabolism which in turn helps you burn fat more efficiently even while your body is at rest; you are giving your body the opportunity to shrink the fat cells down ultimately helping the muscle tone to shine through.

Also, remember that if you have been executing cardio before weight training and you are over training by going beyond th 65-75% on your maximum heart rate called the anaerobic training zone, your body could start using your muscle tissue for energy which can reduce your metabolism and increase your bodies ability to store fat.

So, cardio after weight training. Do that one change, and you will see results.

THANK U!!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I've seen this recommedation posted before and largely agree with it. That being said, I do both with sufficient intensity that I couldn't imagine doing the other afterwards. Occaisionally on "rest" days I'll do low intensity cardio in the form of a 3 mile walk but if it's a weight training day, I am spent afterwards! Same with a cardio day, whether a 5 mile run or a 15 or 20 mile bike ride. Nothing left at the end. On any given day I live by the maxim "go big or go home!"
  • RaysfanATL
    RaysfanATL Posts: 94
    Options
    WOW! Tried it this morning, and let me tell you, I was sweating it out! I felt it in the last 10 minutes of my cardio, and hopefully will see a difference after a week or so..I was at a plateau in my weight loss, so I am hoping this will help!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    i am glad to hear that this is true. my gym gave me information and a program taht has me doing exactly this. and at first i did my cardio at first (i didnt do my program in order at first) and i got "scolded" by one of the ladies who work there about what i was doing needing to be in order (10 minutes warm up cardio, strength training, ab exercises, and then 20-25 minutes or more of cardio at the end, (stretch afterward) i started doing it right a few weeks ago. i do it only 2 time a week because zumba is my other 3 days at the gym. (i have limited gym time because of my children)

You can do it any way you want. What you are doing now is not "wrong", but it's not "right" either. It just is.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I've seen this recommedation posted before and largely agree with it. That being said, I do both with sufficient intensity that I couldn't imagine doing the other afterwards. Occaisionally on "rest" days I'll do low intensity cardio in the form of a 3 mile walk but if it's a weight training day, I am spent afterwards! Same with a cardio day, whether a 5 mile run or a 15 or 20 mile bike ride. Nothing left at the end. On any given day I live by the maxim "go big or go home!"

You can still "go big" and do both. In any order. Bodies can learn to do a lot of different things.
  • BabyGrl726
    BabyGrl726 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information. I will do that from now on...i have been doing it the other way.....definitely dont want to burn muscle
  • CHN_
    CHN_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try this today and see how it goes. Been doing it the other way, mostly cause it's been more convenient I think.
  • Weight_less
    Weight_less Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post :flowerforyou:

I wonder why does Denise Austin perform cardio part before weight part in her video workout...
  • rgbink
    rgbink Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Great Post. Answers a lot of questions! I will be changing my routine this week.
  • mhoward685
    mhoward685 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post as Im glad to know now, 6 weeks in,rather than later. So this what could be holding back progress? How soon after correcting should I be able go see a difference? First week? Month?