Plain Greek yogurt ?

Options

Replies

• JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I prefer the plain for a few reasons: I can use it as a substitute for mayo in things like potato salad and dips. I can add whatever fruit I happen to have fresh or frozen on hand. I think that tastes better than the premixed fruit they add in. Most importantly, there is less sugar AND more protein in the plain!

Some great suggestions/ideas I've "bumped" from this thread. Like using honey sometimes (it definitely adds more sugar yes, but if I'm in the mood for dessert, it beats a cookie!)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I eat it with fruit and honey for dessert several times a week. Delicious!
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I buy the chobani greek yogurt, it has the fruit on the bottom; I don't really see a difference in buying plain and adding my own fruit or flavorings. Plain greek yogurt averages 6-9 g of sugar depending on the brand fruit like blueberries, strawberries and peaches average 7-10g a half cup; flavored greek yogurt averages as low as 11g and most sit around 19 grams though I saw one or two higher in the database. Unless you just plan to wave some fruit near your plain yogurt you aren't really saving on grams of sugar by adding your own fruit but you will spend 5-15 more minutes preparing your food.

I agree. I think plain yogurt tastes like *kitten* unless you put a bunch of sweet stuff in it. I love the pineapple chobani, it's 17 g of sugar. I eat it as an occasional dessert.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I haven't personally tried it but I want to add a little bit (maybe half a scoop) or my chocolate protein powder to it. That would be yummy. Although, it would be better with the vanilla flavor of yogurt. Plain tastes like butt.
  • KetoBella
    KetoBella Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to let you know that you can buy the regular yogurt and make it thick like greek yogurt just by straining it. I take a mesh strainer lined with a coffee filter or piece of paper towel, pour the regular yogurt in the strainer and put it over the top of a bowl that is deep enough to allow the whey to drain off. You just leave it overnight in the fridge and you will get a very a thick "yocheese" the longer you let it strain. I just save my large plastic tub that it comes in and add it back to the container when it is thickened. You will end up with about half the amount but I find it cheaper to do it myself.

I buy Dannon Plain Fat Free but I am sure other brands work just as well as long as they aren't loaded with thickeners that prevent it it from straining.

As a previous poster said it can also be used as a substitute for sour cream or mayo to lighten recipes in addition to every other way you like greek yogurt. I used it nearly every day some way or another.
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Try a few varieties as well. I couldn't stomach it until I got the Fage 0%, I can eat that stuff plain, I love it. :)
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options

19grams, I'm looking at a label right now from my breakfast, assuming I bought a different brand in plain with the lowest sugar it would be 6 grams by the time I add 1/2 cup of strawberries 6 more grams I'm up to 12 GRAMS of sugar 19-12 = 7 not a big difference in my book, and I count sugar/carbs because I'm a diabetic.

That's a lot of sugar for one cup of yogurt. Those seven grams make a difference, whether you realize it or not.
  • Ignotus
    Ignotus Posts: 31
    Options
    Frozen berries! YUM.
  • dawnmarie57
    dawnmarie57 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I buy the Chobani plain ff and also the flavored then mix half a flavored container with equal amont of plain so its not so sweet. I also love the plain with peanut burre and a toch of honey or agave nectar.
  • hellokehtty
    Options
    Mix it with splenda, almond milk, sugar free pudding mix (flavor of your choice) and some ice in a blender...yum.

Edit: just a little splenda and a tbsp of the pudding mix - not the whole box :)
  • marinamoreno
    Options
    BUMP
  • bananasincereal
    bananasincereal Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    for a sweet dessert, I love fruit. I have also made yogurt smoothies: blend 1.5 cups of Greek yogurt and frozen berries, and voilà a tasty AND healthy sweet treat.
  • bananasincereal
    bananasincereal Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Lifeway also makes a great frozen Kefir- http://www.lifeway.net/Products/FrozenKefir.aspx (heads-up it is a bit tart) My favorite is Dulce de Leche
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I put it in smoothies, use it in place of milk for cereal and oatmeal, add berries, pineapple, banana or peaches. I replace sour cream for nachos with it.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I haven't personally tried it but I want to add a little bit (maybe half a scoop) or my chocolate protein powder to it. That would be yummy. Although, it would be better with the vanilla flavor of yogurt. Plain tastes like butt.
    Add 1/2 scoop of chocolate protein powder to it (I used Dymatize ISO-100) and mix till fully blended. Buy Ozery Morning Rounds Cranberry Orange and break half of it into small pieces and toss it in to the chocolate yogurt. You get a chocolate yogurt cake!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I didn't care for plain greek, and most regular/light yogurts are too sweet.....so I mix them together. Usually I use a tub of light vanilla yogurt and a tub of Fage 0%, add a bit more vanilla extract and it is good to go. If I really want a desert type goody I will toss in some blueberries, some low fat plain granola and a spritz of whipped cream.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    My favorite desert every night using plain Greek Yogurt is adding Sugar Free Jello sprinkled into it especially black cherry or cherry jello. Try it I think you will like it. I get at least 3 servings of it in my box of SF Jello so it does not require a lot of it to give Yogurt the flavor of whatever SF Jello you use. It is more like a mousse and if you freeze it a frozen treat. I have also used banana cream pudding mixed with bit of almond milk, NuNaturals stevia, Plain Greek Yogurt . I call these deserts my low carb luxuries without any guilt it is low carb and low cal takes away hunger also.
  • chrren
    chrren Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is perfect for smoothies! I always add a little of it in my blueberry/raspberry smoothie. It tastes so much better :)
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I make a layered desert in a glass for my son.
    Start with a spoon of yoghurt in the bottom of the glass then alternate layers of crushed home made oat and honey cookies, mashed fruit and yoghurt.
    Sometimes I'll top it with very fine shavings of dark chocolate.
    Try it, it's lovely. :)
  • JozefTorba
    JozefTorba Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Honey and lime juice with the spinkle of stevia soooo refreshing