When you're feeling fat...

Options
13»

Replies

• suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    you're not crazy at all!! i think all or most of us have been there... that my weight can fluctuate so much no matter how well i behave is probably my biggest hurdle. Because even though i know i have done all the right things, it gets to me and i end up letting myself down. Hang in there!
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I get on MFP and read the message boards. Different stories can motivate me, encourage me, inspire me, and even make me say, "Man, I cannot LET MYSELF BE THAT PERSON!".

One time, I was giving someone advice and I realized that I was NOT following that advice myself. I got up & did it!
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The scale doesn't usually make me feel fat, even when it goes up. I can feel on different parts of my body that I've lost fat, and I know I'm working hard... I stopped and took a good look at myself in the mirror before my post-workout shower today, though, and I looked more fat to myself than I feel, and that was pretty depressing. :/ I'm telling myself it's just loosening up to fall off easier. :)
  • tsdsign
    tsdsign Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I believe we all have those days. In my mind I weigh 200lbs more than what I really am. On those days when I feel heavy/fat ((after sulking & feeling pity for myself)) I stick with my routine. First thing is to stop weighing yourself everyday... Or every week... Or bi-weekly. Try to stay off that scale for at least a month. Lord knows with water weight, muscle, etc your weight can fluctuate often. And the scale can be very discouraging. Sometimes if I've been going to the gym consistently I'll take a day off from exercising. Resting is just as important as working out. I also think about the types of exercises I've been doing. And the days I've been exercising. Am I doing the same exercises? Am I working out the same exact days? If so, mix it up. But, yes honey you're not alone in this. Just try to stay off that scale & keep pushin'.
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    First I say "God ****ing dammit!!!!" then I spend the rest of the day trying to tell myself that my self-worth is not determined by a number. Sometimes I believe that and sometimes I don't. usually when I have a bad weigh-in, I try to be honest about whether or not I've stuck to my goals in calories for the past few days and find that 100% of the time, I have NOT. So then I just resolve to do better and wait at least another week to weigh myself again.
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Last Sunday when I weighed in and realized I had not lost even an ounce, here's what I did:

1. Took a walk around the block.

2. Drank a glass of water and took two more fiber pills.

3. Opened MFP and scoured my dietary choices from the previous week. Realized that I was getting too much sugar. Made a note to myself not to buy more of the gorgeous fresh peaches I've been eating, and instead buy some gorgeous tomatoes. (Peaches = loads of sugar. Tomatoes = almost none at all)
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I like to swear a little bit, then move the scale about the bathroom to find the new "sweet spot" - when that invariably fails I have a quick look at my macros in the diary and see if it was a high salt day the day before. Most of the fluctuations in the scales you will see is water weight
    Ha! I will get off the scale and step on differently to see if maybe it will fluctuate that way. I usually try this three times before I realize that this little dance won't make those numbers go down.
    Okay, now I've never moved the scale around to see if I can get the numbers to drop, but I *have* stepped off and on at different angles or something equally ridiculous with hope that the numbers would drop. Believe it or not, I've done that and seen the numbers *go up*. I think that's just a slap in the face for trying to cheat my way out of it, hahaha.
    I get on MFP and read the message boards. Different stories can motivate me, encourage me, inspire me, and even make me say, "Man, I cannot LET MYSELF BE THAT PERSON!".

One time, I was giving someone advice and I realized that I was NOT following that advice myself. I got up & did it!
    Oh, hon', I do this too. I offer advice on all the things I've heard, and then think, "Woahhhhhh. Wait. If I think someone else should be getting off their *kitten* and trying harder to get results, why do I think I'm exempt from that?" That definitely motivates me.
    I believe we all have those days. In my mind I weigh 200lbs more than what I really am. On those days when I feel heavy/fat ((after sulking & feeling pity for myself)) I stick with my routine. First thing is to stop weighing yourself everyday... Or every week... Or bi-weekly. Try to stay off that scale for at least a month. Lord knows with water weight, muscle, etc your weight can fluctuate often. And the scale can be very discouraging. Sometimes if I've been going to the gym consistently I'll take a day off from exercising. Resting is just as important as working out. I also think about the types of exercises I've been doing. And the days I've been exercising. Am I doing the same exercises? Am I working out the same exact days? If so, mix it up. But, yes honey you're not alone in this. Just try to stay off that scale & keep pushin'.
    I totally agree! You have got to push yourself to reach your goals, but you also need to take some time off to relax, reward yourself for your progress, and think about how awesome you are!
    Last Sunday when I weighed in and realized I had not lost even an ounce, here's what I did:

1. Took a walk around the block.

2. Drank a glass of water and took two more fiber pills.

3. Opened MFP and scoured my dietary choices from the previous week. Realized that I was getting too much sugar. Made a note to myself not to buy more of the gorgeous fresh peaches I've been eating, and instead buy some gorgeous tomatoes. (Peaches = loads of sugar. Tomatoes = almost none at all)
    Now I'm sad 'cause I realize I've been eating peaches pretty regularly lately. >_>.
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Now I'm sad 'cause I realize I've been eating peaches pretty regularly lately. >_>.

For real. It was kinda heartbreaking to see that a single lovely fresh perfectly ripe peach has almost 7 g of sugar. A tomato has less than 1 g. I'm glad I like tomatoes, but damn, I'm gonna miss those peaches while I know they're in season.
  • KharismaticKayteh
    Options
    For real. It was kinda heartbreaking to see that a single lovely fresh perfectly ripe peach has almost 7 g of sugar. A tomato has less than 1 g. I'm glad I like tomatoes, but damn, I'm gonna miss those peaches while I know they're in season.
    Well, you know... moderation! =D. But seriously... my boyfriend's grandmother sent me home with a big bag full of fresh, homegrown peaches. -_-'.
  • AgapeLove7
    AgapeLove7 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    to remind myself of how far I've come. the best way to never succeed is to give up trying.
  • KharismaticKayteh
    Options
    to remind myself of how far I've come. the best way to never succeed is to give up trying.
    That is absolutely true! Remember how far you've come, and that if you give up now, you might lose all that progress. Backsliding a little isn't nearly as bad as losing it all.
  • MosierTim
    MosierTim Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I look at my before pictures on my phone to see how fat I USED to be. Or I think about all of the things I can do now that I could not do before. Both of these things encourage me to keep going.
  • bethhyg
    bethhyg Posts: 209
    Options
    Take pictures.. Here a while back I was so depressed that I had only lost like 2 pounds in a month. I was ready to quit. Then I decided to take my measurements and take another picture. Needless to say I was shocked. I had lost like 3 inches in the waist 2 inches in the hips and 1 inch off the arms. I could not believe that 10 pounds could make that much of a difference. Pictures do not lie. I was gonna wait till I had lost 20 pounds before I took another picture. This was enough to motivate me to keep going and I am glad I did. The scale FINALLY started moving again. Just keep going. Sometimes our bodies need some time to adjust.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    :drinker: i lock my bedroom door and take a nap, or drink, if i can i do both:drinker:
  • LoFoSho100
    LoFoSho100 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I feel fat every day because I am fat. :D I feel fat right now! I cheerfully continue on with my business.

Love!
  • hoppinfroggin22
    hoppinfroggin22 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    i go swimming! right then and there because swimming makes me happy and at the same time burns tons of calories :) chip up mate!!
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    You know the scale is not a good indicator of how fat you are. It is an indicator of how much your total weight is. It has no idea how much of that weight is muscle/bones and how much is fat. You have to look in the mirror and see yourself.
  • Tlively13
    Tlively13 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself every day, for a start! My weight fluctuates from day to day (even if I'm eating exactly the same calories) and the last thing you want to do is de-motivate yourself. I wouldn't weight myself more than once a week. Also, if you're working out and building muscle, you won't lose weight so fast (muscle weighs three times as much as the same volume of fat), but you will be slimmer, fitter and healthier. For me, the most important indication of 'weight loss' is my clothes - the holes on my belt, the skirt that was too tight, the dress that didn't look right or that favourite item that you haven't been able to get into for ages. When I see changes here, I don't care what I weigh! And remember, the fact that you're using this site means you're doing the right thing, so congratulate yourself!
    Absolutely CORRECT,,,
  • builtforlife
    builtforlife Posts: 259
    Options
    You tell yourself you're gonna take the next year to figure out how your individual body loses weight, keeps muscle, and what kind of exercise you need.
  • KharismaticKayteh
    Options
    You tell yourself you're gonna take the next year to figure out how your individual body loses weight, keeps muscle, and what kind of exercise you need.
    Totally! Every body is different, and some of us need different work done to get the results we want.