will quitting drinking really help THAT much??

Options

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    If you like going to happy hour and drinking how you do, then I say don't worry too much about it. Maybe keep it to once a week or every other- but it's all about how the moderation works for you. I'd say quitting anything (whether it be drinking, processed food, carbs, meat etc) is really not necessary to weight loss. For some people it's helpful, in that it gives them more freedom in other areas of their food choices. For me, it's all about being able to have a little of whatever I want, whenever I want. I don't like having to say no to something fun, or something I'd enjoy for fear of my waistline.

PS- I drink regular soda. It doesn't bite ;-)
  • kionig
    kionig Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Umm, yes. The occasional alcohol is ok. The weekly or bi weekly is a little much. For me I've realized the more I workout the less I can drink as my body is metatbolizing it differently, and I really dont want a drink every week or even month anymore, because I 'm already zapped. Plus, alcohol makes me retain water for a few days.

" Alcohol increases insulin sensitivity predisposing carbs ingested with alcohol to be converted to fat. Alcohol inhibits fat burning predisposing fat ingested with alcohol to also be stored as fat. So if you are looking for a practical strategy for alcohol consumption, here it is.

1.Take an insulin mimicker when you drink – alpha lipoic acid is the first that comes to mind. This will help shuttle carbs into glycogen instead of store them as fat by limiting the insulin response. There are limits. If you ingest too many carbs you are going to get a big insulin response, which leads to the second thing you can do…

2. Limit your carb intake while drinking – More than anything else, this will keep the weight gain at bay.

3. Do not combine fats and carbs when you drink, or eliminate fats entirely. The combination of fats and carbs together when drinking makes weight loss impossible and weight gain inevitable."

- paraphrased from lookcut -
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    you can do it occasionally but I know there the same amount of calories in a glass of red wine as there is in a big mac =) but if you do it like once a month you should be fine =)

:noway: How big a glass are you talking?!

That is a myth if you are talking about a normal (187.5ml-ish) average glass of red wine....having that once a day is absolutely fine, providing you have enough cals left over for it. It's actually good for you as an antioxidant.

A Big Mac has 490 cals.
    A small glass of red wine has 150 cals.

:drinker:
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Quitting drinking is a responsible decision. We always seem to eat more when we do drink and more than 1 drink is hard on your liver

This, and I've noticed that my body is a lot more sluggish when I run the morning after I've had even a glass of wine!

Of note, read an article in a running mag in how sometimes an adult beverage the night before can enhance a run (1 or 2 though, not 6 or 7). I actually ran 5 miles after several adult beverages the night before with no real effect on my running. Guess it is all individaulized.
  • flabbytofabby
    Options
    I've quit all together, not just because of the calories on the night but im always so hungry the next day. Plus i'd rather a treat of chocolate than Alcohol.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I drink ridiculous quantities of wine on a regular basis and it makes absolutely no odds to me as long as I follow my (very satisfying) food intake plan.

Check out the Banting Diet from back in the 1800's, that man is my nutritional hero.
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Some people say to drink in rotations,
    drink 1 drink
    then have one water
    and one soda
    before having another drink.

:noway: If I drank all of that in between, I'd never stay out of the bathroom:grumble: Also too much dilution going on:laugh:
  • AnastassiaV
    AnastassiaV Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I believe in a mix of rum and diet coke, rum is actually less harmfull for your health compared to coke. It's not only about calories!
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    i quit drinking sobered up then see how awful my wife and kids were so i started drinking again so no it didnt help much at all
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    Surely... it's all just about being within your calorie goal? I sometimes have a pint of beer..

I go out on some Friday's. It's just about having a sensible low calorie day to support the additional alcohol calories....

OH and, less calories and food in the day means drunken quicker = cheaper night! Classic!

If you can't for go the temptation to then eat pizza after a couple of drinks.... thats kinda your problem

I think that you can set your body up to preferentially burn excess energy in the face of a reasonably moderate calorie surplus so no, it's not about hard limits on calories, in my opinion.

It makes no sense that the human body is so inflexible that it needs such a narrow daily energy intake in order to maintain optimum health ... I know this is heresy to the 3500 calories = whatever crowd but hey, that's my belief ...

I avoid beer and that's about the limit of my alcohol intake rules. Works for me :)
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    i quit drinking sobered up then see how awful my wife and kids were so i started drinking again so no it didnt help much at all

I like you, I like you a lot, you are my new beshtest friend :)
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm the same! I don't drink much, but when I started counting calories I decided to cut out alcohol completely.

I'm really happy with the decision for several reasons. The money I would have spent on drinks I've used for more fresh produce and interesting meats like wild boar and venison. A glass of wine is about 3.50 GBP, so if I have one drink out plus contribute a bottle of wine to a movie night, I'd be out around 12 GBP. That's a lot of fruit and veg!

Also, because a glass of wine or a pint is quite calorific, when I stick with water or Diet Coke I can spend those calories on the food at the social gathering. I don't have to be the person who doesn't have any birthday cake or can't have any crisps. I still have a drink in my hand, but I know that type of drink won't push me over my calorie limit.

Add to that the fact that I don't feel buzzy (or tipsy, which has only happened a few times) ever, and I just feel much better and fulfilled throughout the week.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Hey kids!
    SO ive been thinking about quitting drinking! Due to my social life and influence of my friends!! lol i like to think its their fault.. I drink on average once a weekend, somtimes twice. and when I do drink, I'll drink about a pint and maybe 1 beer. Do you guys really think if I stop drinking all together that it will show?!? Or if I cut it down to once a month?? Let me know what you think!

2-3 beers a week is probably about 400 calories per week. So that's about 1 pound of weight every 9 weeks. It probably won't help you lose much weight.
  • bethgames
    bethgames Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Help? Whoa, slow down there, Pilgrim. No way, keep drinking! Sanity has it's place in all this. I mean lets not get ridiculous! Red wine is GOOD for you :drinker: I mean, if I have to quit drinking, what the hell am I going to do with all the wine in my cellar? :huh: :huh: Fanatics! :devil:
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the replies!!
  • kionig
    kionig Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This subject is near my heart . BTW, I think alcohol is pretty awesome. Its just not that fun for me anymore. Special occasions (weddings, vacations, crazy bad day) I'll imbide (every month or three), but every Tues ( live jazz), Fri ( end of week), Sat (wine tasting) & Sun (Brunch), not so much anymore. I dont see the friends I did this with as much, because they want to drink and I want to gym, and for me tacos, and pastries taste better with my Jack Daniels neat than raw veg and fruit.
  • BeSophisticate
    Options
    On one hand, alcohol is extremely high in calories. (Gram for gram, alcohol has the same number of calories as fat.) For example, I SINGLE shot of 80 proof vodka has 100 calories.

On the other hand, it doesn't sound like you're really drinking that much. I'd say, if it's something you really look forward to, feel free to continue. It's important to allow ourselves treats. If it's not high enough on your list to be a treat, then drop it. (For example, alcohol is an "eh" for me, so I've just cut it completely while watching what I eat.)
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    you can do it occasionally but I know there the same amount of calories in a glass of red wine as there is in a big mac =) but if you do it like once a month you should be fine =)

Holy crap how big is that glass?

A big Mac is about 540 cals!
  • flabbytofabby
    Options
    Holy crap how big is that glass?

A big Mac is about 540 cals!

lol theres about 100 per glass, but honestly..who has one glass.
  • MustangSally74
    MustangSally74 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Not sure I can tell you anything different than what's already been said. I wouldn't give up going out with your friends. Just limit the drinks to maybe one and drink water. It's sad that alcohol has so many calories. Just be wise and either drink lower calorie drinks and limit your intake. If you start giving up things you enjoy then the weight loss journey will get discouraging and you tend to give up.