Skinny Fat?

Options

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    It means somebody who is a healthy weight, but has a higher body fat %. Think body composition, muscle v fat.

Ex: When I first started MFP I was 150lbs (a healthy weight) but 27% BF (not bad, but not great either) After losing the weight I wanted to, and then doing a "bulk" to gain muscle, I ended up back at 150lbs, but 22% body fat. Because of this, I looked leaner and fit into clothes I couldn't before.
  • herownkindofwonderfull
    herownkindofwonderfull Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    How does that even happen?

a big part of that is high sugar intake.
  • sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I usually use skinny fat to refer to the girls at the gym who look great - and therefore I always assume are fit - but when you do a class with them it actually turns out I'm fitter and/or stronger, even though I have 20kg on them
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    How does that even happen?

a big part of that is high sugar intake.

And thinking one can eat what they want cuz of our metabolism...so we eat McDonalds all day or soda or assorted sat fats etc. That was me.
  • Cazzy34
    Cazzy34 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yup this is me!! I weigh 130lbs but have 30% body fat!! I don't look obese, but my whole body wobbles :(

I have approx 1.5" of fat on my thighs before i can feel any muscle! :( I think years of restrictive dieting has caused me to lose muscle mass and now i am left with a massive amount of excess fat!

I have been trying to change that, but currently failing. Need to find something else that works!!
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I hate the words skinny and fat. I'd rather be healthy than labelled either skinny or fat. Its ridiculous.

I agree with this. There are too many labels we stick on both ourselves and others.
  • Jess81620
    Jess81620 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It means somebody who is a healthy weight, but has a higher body fat %. Think body composition, muscle v fat.

Ex: When I first started MFP I was 150lbs (a healthy weight) but 27% BF (not bad, but not great either) After losing the weight I wanted to, and then doing a "bulk" to gain muscle, I ended up back at 150lbs, but 22% body fat. Because of this, I looked leaner and fit into clothes I couldn't before.

I fit into this catagory myself, I weight 125.4 lbs (healthy weight for 5'2) last time I had my BF measure but was 26.8% BF (not bad, but not great either you should be under 25% for fitness). Not sure what I am at know this was 3 weeks ago but I am working on it. How does this happen I have only been doing cardo exercises for around 10 years.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    To me, it means lacking tone, but I'd really rather do without the 'labels' - let's stick to healthy :)
  • phitless
    phitless Posts: 9
    Options
    I have only ever heard the term "skinny fat" being said by people so bulgy with muscles they can't find their necks talking about people who are in shape but can find their necks. I am kind of surprised to find out it isn't just a derogatory term.
  • NakedLunchTime
    Options
    Skinny-fat is being in the "healthy" weight range or even being underweight, but still having a high body fat percentage. It's called normal-weight obesity.
    LMAO!!!!

I fail to see the humor... it's an actual medical condition. :huh:

Normal-weight obesity is an actual medical condition??? Woooow :noway:
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Like someone said, it happens a lot when you lose a significant amount of weight. I am a prime example of this. When I was my size before I gained weight, I had a lot of muscle but some fat. Then I gained weight, lost it, and now I have just fat, even though I'm 35 pounds lighter than I was initially. Go figure.
  • blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yup this is me!! I weigh 130lbs but have 30% body fat!! I don't look obese, but my whole body wobbles :(

I have approx 1.5" of fat on my thighs before i can feel any muscle! :( I think years of restrictive dieting has caused me to lose muscle mass and now i am left with a massive amount of excess fat!

I have been trying to change that, but currently failing. Need to find something else that works!!

Now I am confused... I am just over 200lbs and according to online calculators I am 27%???

I must be more than that?!
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Some people can look normal but have high amounts of internal of visceral fat. This is white fat that coats around internal organs and shows up in MRI scans. Once someone starts exercising, it can reduce significantly.
  • _Thanatos_
    _Thanatos_ Posts: 166
    Options
    The ratio of LBM and Fat are a bit too close so even though you don't weigh much you still appear chubby.
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I consider myself fat even though I think I must be quite skinny as I wear children's clothes.
    Basically I don't have much of a covering on my bones but what there is is generally wobbly and squishy. It's disgusting.
  • JoLo27
    JoLo27 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    ?action=view&current=photo.jpg

I win! (yuk!)

I am 5'5.5", 134lbs, with BMI of 22 and I wear dress size UK 10 (pants) / UK 12 (tops) but my body fat % is 33%.

It was 33% when I started on MFP and I have lost 13lbs but it's still 33%!

I know I need to start lifting weights but getting to the gym with my schedule is unrealistic at the moment.

Any ideas of what I can do at home or how I can change my diet?

Thanks (that was horrible posting that photo!)
  • JoLo27
    Options

I win! (yuk!)

I am 5'5.5", 134lbs, with BMI of 22 and I wear dress size 10 (pants) / 12 (tops) but my body fat % is 33%.

I know I need to start lifting weights but getting to the gym with my schedule is unrealistic at the moment.

I can't get the photo to work - can anyone help?
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    oops
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options

I win! (yuk!)

I am 5'5.5", 134lbs, with BMI of 22 and I wear dress size 10 (pants) / 12 (tops) but my body fat % is 33%.

I can't get the photo to work - can anyone help?
    We should start a club. I'm 5'5 and now weigh about 127-130. I also have somewhere between 25 and 28 percent bf (yuck!). I have a relatively fast metabolism and am inactive by nature, so I tend to be "skinny fat." I'm now lifting heavy weights and watching my macros.
  • JoLo27
    Options
    photo.jpg

Hopefully that will do it!