Cardio Between Lift Sets?

Options
2»

Replies

• MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    IMO, if you have enough energy to be doing cardio in between sets, you're not lifting heavy enough. I *need* my rest periods to recover so that I can then again lift the weight after my 2-3 minute rest.
    This makes sense to me. Strength training days are you big chance to build that great muscle:happy: ...put yourself into that. Do cardio on another workout day.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I guess the biggest factor, which you haven't mentioned, is intensity. If you are doing both (lifting and cardio between) at near max effort, then they will begin to affect each other, even if you are focusing on different muscle groups. No way can I lift after playing basketball, regardless of the lifts I'm doing.

If you're lifting heavy then "trotting" on the treadmill for a few minutes, it probably can be done (though I still don't recommend it).
    If you're lifting light and running hard on the threadmill, then I don't see a problem.

As for maximizing time... if you are giving 100%, then you are maximizing your time. If you're not, then you aren't, and a little cardio between sets won't help that.

On a side note, IMO, your goal when lifting shouldn't be calorie burn. If the burn is your primary goal, then just do the cardio.
  • mikewpg1ca
    mikewpg1ca Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do cardio between sets myself due to my goal being to build strength and focus on lifting when I'm working out. If you do cardio between sets your HR will be high and I'd be surprised if you would be as effective lifting, at least based on my experience. If you want to do both sure go ahead, but it will take away from your ability to lift.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Do you really think running would affect my upper body lifts?

If you're lifting heavy, absolutely.

Why are super sets ok, but this idea is somehow not ok? Please explain....

Supersetting saves a bit of time but generally speaking when you superset or compound set, you're doing back to back lifts followed by a reasonable rest period before executing the superset again. You're still incorporating ample rest, you're just performing two sets in back to back fashion.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    My question is, why?

I've done it, but it was back in my ignorant days and I no longer do it. If you're lifting, then lift (assuming real lifting - high weight and low reps). If you're cardio-ing, then cardio.

IMO.
    I am posing the same question to everyone here in reverse (which you didn't answer).

Why not? Is it negative in some way?

My reasons for why are:
    -To maximize time
    -Keep a higher HR and burn

(for clarification, I don't do this while working legs)

The purpose of resting between sets is to replenish your glycogen stores in your muscles. By doing cardio in between sets you don't allow that to happen, and your lifts will suffer.

EDIT to add - Sprinting is anaerobic in nature, so that's not even cardio work, that would be the same as doing constant lifting with no rest.
  • zela
    zela Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Dude I know you are probably motivated and probably want the quickest results possible, BUT if you feel good to do cardio on 60 second rests between sets than maybe you should reconsider the intensity of your lifting. I seriously see stars for 2 minutes after my heavy sets and take a 2-3 minute break. Can't imagine what results the extra 10 calories burned would do for me, probably screw the intensity on the next set. Much easier to eat a spoon less for dinner or do 5 minutes of cardio after you lift.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    So my treadmill is right there in the same room as my bench and weights. My normal strength training is done with rest of 60s between sets usually.

So, I had to idea to make use of that 60s and hop on the treadmill for little mini-sprints during my "rest".

Has anyone else done this? Is it a good idea, bad idea?

Bad idea..

in my opinion you leave the lifting and the cardio completely seperate unless its under certain circumstances. Lifting heavy will already tax your cardiovascular system and nervous system if you do it right and its bad to have some sort of active recovery in between sets doin some sort of cardio. However, training such as circuit training or crossfit type work is if you are overweight and dont have much muscle mass then you can build muscle and burn fat efficiently at the same time. For anyone who is already in descent shape I would stay to stick to training hard with weights and do cardio either after your workout or on a different day.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I don't like this idea. I'm willing to bet that lack of rest between sets is going to prevent you from maximal lifting efforts on each set.

I'm thinking that if he's only doing 60 second rests, he's not doing maximal lifting anyway.

I'm up to 90-120 secs on my rests because that's what it takes for me to recover - especially on squats.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I don't like this idea. I'm willing to bet that lack of rest between sets is going to prevent you from maximal lifting efforts on each set.

I'm thinking that if he's only doing 60 second rests, he's not doing maximal lifting anyway.

I'm up to 90-120 secs on my rests because that's what it takes for me to recover - especially on squats.

^ Thats also a good point.
  • toddx318
    toddx318 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by maximal lifting. I am doing medium range reps (10) and by the time I get to my last rep on my last set, I am nearing failure on most exercises.

Also, I should never have said "sprinting" - as someone pointed out, that is anaerobic, which I am definitely not doing. I'd say I have been going around 5k race pace, which is definitely aerobic.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's clear that your heart is in the right place. You are looking to maximize the efficiency of your workout sessions. This is an excellent mentally to have. If you truly want the most bang for your buck, start on one of the compound lifting routines like Starting Strength, or StrongLifts 5x5. Five heavy reps, where you will need to sit the f down in between sets until you can remember your name and address again. On the off days do intervals or conditioning training. You'll be working out 4-6 times a week, and every minute will count (including the 1-3 minutes between sets while your'e resting)

Start today and thank me 3 months down the road.
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    I do something similar with my personal trainer. If it works for you then do it. Everybody will have their own opinion.
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    good post
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I guess it really depends on your goal - increase muscle mass or burn fat (since your body can't really do both at the same time). As a previous poster mentioned, I have some DVDs that do this, but the 'strength training' is pretty light.

Have to disagree on the DVDs strength training being "light", but I guess it depends which ones you are talking about, not the ones I have. Granted, I am not going to become a body building doing this but I am building some serious muscle.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    So my treadmill is right there in the same room as my bench and weights. My normal strength training is done with rest of 60s between sets usually.

So, I had to idea to make use of that 60s and hop on the treadmill for little mini-sprints during my "rest".

Has anyone else done this? Is it a good idea, bad idea?

It depends on what your goals are and what you are lifting

if you are lifting to maintain form and work particular muscles - It could cause you to tire out more quickly - leading to less oomph for lifting, which could interfere with your form - i.e. struggling to lift those last few in your round.

if I am strictly lifting I focus on lifting and then follow it up with a bit of cardio at the end...

If you want to do some interval type training then I wouldn't do max reps/weights - I have done some Crossfit WODS where it was combos of lifts and cardio but the lifts were at about 70% of my max

so for example

3 rounds of...
    5 deadlifts (I might do 110 as my max is about 165)
    400 meter run or 500 meter row
    20 kettlebell swings
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by maximal lifting. I am doing medium range reps (10) and by the time I get to my last rep on my last set, I am nearing failure on most exercises.

Also, I should never have said "sprinting" - as someone pointed out, that is anaerobic, which I am definitely not doing. I'd say I have been going around 5k race pace, which is definitely aerobic.

Max - trying to push as much weight as you can without compromise to form...agree with the above poster - I would give yourself a good 2 minutes rest between rounds if you are at near failure at the end - your muscles need a chance to rest...
  • krocksa
    krocksa Posts: 32
    Options
    I do heavy strength training in circuits, often CrossFit style ( I don't have a CrossFit gym). If you lift to failure and follow a similar formula you are begging for your life on your (much shorter than 60 sec) rest periods. Your heart rate is through the roof. With all the cardio I've ever done, it has NEVER reached the level of cardio I get in my strength training sessions. this style is NOT for beginners however. I do SS or interval cardio on my "off" lifting days. I consider it a rest day!

There's nothing inherently wrong with doing cardio in between your lifting sets if you want just to get more burn and keep HR up, but I agree with PPs - if your goal is to get strong, focus on getting strong. If you do it right it's cardio anyway. Good luck on your journey!