Overnight Oats...why didn't I do this sooner?!

Options

Replies

• kelif5959
    kelif5959 Posts: 202
    Options
    Yummers!
  • nanagain
    nanagain Posts: 20
    Options
    Overnight Oats & tons of other great ideas: http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

With pics!!

Yum!

thank you!
  • April26th
    April26th Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sounds good...bump
  • sbertagnole
    Options
    Excellent idea...thanks for posting!
  • sadielane
    sadielane Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Someone else posted this one last year. I tried it and OMG, so good!

3/4 cup of rolled oats (not the quick cooking or instant oats)
    1/2 cup of canned pumpkin (the plain, unsweetened kind, not the pumpkin pie mix)
    1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk
    1/4 tsp of pumpkin pie spice (add more or less according to your tastes)
    2 splenda packets or sweetener of your choice

Mix everything except the oats in a smaller sized tupperware type of container. Whisk milk, pumpkin, splenda, and spices with a fork together until they are all blended into a unified orange liquid. Then add in oats and mix together until oats are fully coated with orange liquid.

Put oats in the fridge for a few hours (preferably overnight) or until the oats are soft. Then serve and eat. Can also be heated up,
  • nanagain
    Options
    mmm so going to try this one! i keep a bit of canned pumpkin around just to swirl in my hot oatmeal!
  • Sheenamarie1221
    Options
    BUMP! I'ma try it, thanks! :)
  • amielizabeth1
    amielizabeth1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try this- thanks for all the great recipe suggestions!
  • shirerose
    shirerose Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i love you.
  • phyllisann26
    phyllisann26 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Oohhh I am definetly gonna try this soon!!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    What do you do? Just mix all those ingredients cold and put them in the refrigerator overnight? And then do you heat it up in the morning?

Mix and refrigerate, in the morning eat cold (though I suppose you COULD warm it up).

Just mix equal parts old fashioned oats and yogurt, give it a quick stir, then throw it in the fridge overnight. Add whatever fixings you like. You can even use flavored yogurt if you want.
  • missyszy
    missyszy Posts: 3
    Options
    bump
  • alee37195
    alee37195 Posts: 13
    Options
    I really want to try this! So you dont have to cook it? Do you use regular oats or what? Also, love the smoothie idea but how do you figure out the calories?? I am new! Thanks for the help
  • jillbeanschoop
    jillbeanschoop Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the "bump" thing... Anyone care to explain? :happy:

When you participate in a conversation, you can find it easier under "my topics" instead of searching through all the posts... by saying "bump" you've bumped it to "my topics" for later perusal
    Wouldn't it be so much easier if MFP supplied a way to mark a topic as favorite so we all don't have to see Bump.... bump.... conversation.... bump... conversation...bump...bump.... over and over again? Just sayin' :-)
  • sundaywishes
    sundaywishes Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Bump! I've heard about ON oats but never tried them, which is weird because I love oatmeal!! I've had oatmeal for lunch for 5 days a week for the past 4 months. Not obsessed with it, but what can I say, I like routine =)
  • Athera82
    Athera82 Posts: 3
    Options
    Bump! I'm not an oatmeal fan, but I'll give it a shot!
  • nanagain
    Options
    I don't understand the "bump" thing... Anyone care to explain? :happy:

When you participate in a conversation, you can find it easier under "my topics" instead of searching through all the posts... by saying "bump" you've bumped it to "my topics" for later perusal
    Wouldn't it be so much easier if MFP supplied a way to mark a topic as favorite so we all don't have to see Bump.... bump.... conversation.... bump... conversation...bump...bump.... over and over again? Just sayin' :-)

too funny, i'm new here and i was just looking all over the page to see if that option was available :-)
  • chrysalis63
    Options
    Cold oatmeal... sounds interesting; maybe I'll try it some day.

For those who prefer hot oatmeal...

Another great way to prepare your breakfast in advance is to put one part old-fashioned oats (1/3 cup) and any dry add-ins you like into a wide-mouthed vacuum jar (e.g. Thermos), then when ready, add 2 parts (2/3 cup) boiling water, close tightly and shake vigorously a few times. After 20 minutes, the oatmeal is ready to eat. I have tried steel cut oats, but you really have to shake it for a much longer time to prevent clumping.

I prepare the dry ingredients the night before, add the boiling water while getting ready for work in the morning, and let it "cook" during my commute; then I have a nice hearty breakfast all ready to eat when I get into the office.

For add-ins, I like dried cranberries, whatever chopped nuts I have on hand, cinnamon, nutmeg, and even a little allspice or ginger, if I feel so inclined that day. I also like to add a teaspoon of vanilla when I add the boiling water (that is if I remember; my mind isn't always so sharp in the morning). I also like to mix in some ground flax seed, but when I do, I either increase the water a bit or decrease the oatmeal to maintain the right consistency.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    BUMP