Overnight Oats...why didn't I do this sooner?!

Options

Replies

• cortezpj
    cortezpj Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. :flowerforyou:
  • mkgrayson
    mkgrayson Posts: 17
    Options
    bump

Thank you!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Haven't gotten into the refrigerator oatmeal yet but the pina colada flavor sounds awesome...
  • dawnmarie57
    dawnmarie57 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kristen_lynn
    kristen_lynn Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!! :) can't wait to try, i looooove oatmeal
  • Kppr59
    Kppr59 Posts: 12
    Options
    I love this idea - and the yummylife site. I already use oatmeal in my yogurt smoothie - I just grind it to a powder and then add in the other smoothie ingredients. So, this is another fun way to enjoy the same ingredients - and have it ready when I get up! Thanks!!
  • joanie152
    joanie152 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    And Bump - I love this stuff - thanks for the new recipes..
  • amclaws25
    amclaws25 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have done overnight steel cut oats in a crock pot. We did apple cinnamon. Absolutely amazing!!!
  • amc119
    amc119 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try some of these recipes!
  • nopudgepoot
    nopudgepoot Posts: 63 Member
    Options
  • alee37195
    alee37195 Posts: 13
    Options
    I used to make the oat part (Oats, greek yogurt and almond milk) and then use it as the base of my smoothie each morning. Made it nice and thick and healthy!
    What portions of each please! This sounds delish!
  • alee37195
    alee37195 Posts: 13
    Options
    Cold oatmeal... sounds interesting; maybe I'll try it some day.

For those who prefer hot oatmeal...

Another great way to prepare your breakfast in advance is to put one part old-fashioned oats (1/3 cup) and any dry add-ins you like into a wide-mouthed vacuum jar (e.g. Thermos), then when ready, add 2 parts (2/3 cup) boiling water, close tightly and shake vigorously a few times. After 20 minutes, the oatmeal is ready to eat. I have tried steel cut oats, but you really have to shake it for a much longer time to prevent clumping.

I prepare the dry ingredients the night before, add the boiling water while getting ready for work in the morning, and let it "cook" during my commute; then I have a nice hearty breakfast all ready to eat when I get into the office.

For add-ins, I like dried cranberries, whatever chopped nuts I have on hand, cinnamon, nutmeg, and even a little allspice or ginger, if I feel so inclined that day. I also like to add a teaspoon of vanilla when I add the boiling water (that is if I remember; my mind isn't always so sharp in the morning). I also like to mix in some ground flax seed, but when I do, I either increase the water a bit or decrease the oatmeal to maintain the right consistency.
    SO SMART!!!
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I am so going to try these!
  • Tammi623
    Tammi623 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Bump ^_^
  • aHarness625
    aHarness625 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump.. can't wait to try!!
  • MernyMac
    MernyMac Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I saw the skinnytaste recipe on Monday and had to try it out. It's really good, and I've been eating it all week. I'll have to try the pina colada recipe. That looks really good!

My variation:
    1/4 cup quick oats
    1/2 cup almond milks
    1/2 tbsp chia seeds
    1/4 chopped banana
    1/8 cup nuts (pecans or walnuts)
    1/8 cup dates

283 calories
  • MernyMac
    MernyMac Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Oh I like the sounds of this one !!......I tried it with raspberries......It was good.....guess I'm not so much of a raspberry fan as I thought
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I need to bookmark this thread!

:heart:
  • november03
    november03 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of this.... thanks for posting it! =)