logging bad days

Options

Replies

• jeffsinkw
    jeffsinkw Posts: 16
    Options
    I try to log them and sometimes find out that it wasn't as bad a day as I thought. Sometimes, however, it IS a bad day and seeing it on paper just shows you what you could have done differently with eating that day.
  • lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Ok I logged it and it wasnt nearly as bad as I thought ! Thanks, you are all right, it did make me more accountable and instead of throwing in the towel for the day I will make a good dinner choice. Also the person who said "I often find its more of a B day rather than an F day" rang true for me as well.

Thanks everyone ! Happy logging !
  • STACYINOC
    STACYINOC Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I haven't in the past and have been unsuccessful in the past.

This time, I am - I've hit day 15 (my longest span ever). The last couple of days, it has been BAD! And I have kept logging!

When I COMPLETE my journal, and it says in 5 WEEKS, I will be 3 lbs HEAVIER - It helps me keep my eye on the prize!

I just started this program but that's kinda good that it says that you'll be heavier if you log your bad day...hopefully, that would stick in the back of my mind and remind me not to have a bad day because we want that number lower - not higher!
  • bonjourdiva
    Options
    Log it in and move on, you are only cheating yourself if you don't. Logging in my bad days helps me make better decisions the next time. What helps me too is that I made my food diary public for everyone to see.
  • peles_fire
    peles_fire Posts: 501
    Options
    I log it all. I agree with those who say it is motivating to do better and the accountability is a big factor for me. Also, I find that if I log as I go, I am less inclined to make bad decisions and will even 'ghost log' a meal to see if it will blow me over on any of my nutrients I am tracking. That has righted this ship more than once! :P
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    For me, logging the bad days just makes me hold myself accountable and try harder the next day.

This exactly. I may also make notes in my diary when I'm having extremely good or bad days.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    i logged mine, yesterday, for the first time. I think I went over around 1,200 calories. It was a reality check for me. I didnt feel bad, hell.. i had fun last night! Just making better choices today. wait, i am going to the movies tonight... ugh.. popcorn. will log that in now. :)
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    When I lost 50 lbs I logged 99% of the time, even when it was bad, and I found that I actually had less bad the more I logged.

Now that I'm trying to lose 15 lbs of regained weight, I've discovered that I'm really bad on the weekends. I say "discovered" because at first I wasn't logging them, kind of giving myself a break, and then when I finally did I realized WOW that is bad enough to erase all the good I did this week!

So, yes, log your bad days. Don't beat yourself up about them, but learn the lesson, and you'll start to have less bad days.

This exactly. My weight started creeping back on when I stopped logging in every meal. So I recently got back on track and started using this site. (Originally I was using the LoseIt! app on my iPhone).

Agree!! I used LoseIt!, too. Making my diary viewable to my friends on MFP has made a huge difference in how often I log food (100% of the time now, already with more success than a few months on LoseIt!). It has also helped me take on the mindset of: No Excuses.

I eat what I CHOOSE to eat, and I log it ALL. I've gone over a couple times, and I know it will happen from time to time, but what gets me back on track right away is logging every bite.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    'ghost log' a meal to see if it will blow me over on any of my nutrients I am tracking. That has righted this ship more than once! :P

^^^^This, too!!
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I don't log my bad days like yesterday, but in all honestly they really are not that bad.
    Also I allow myself to have cheat days, otherwise i would go bonkers :)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I log every day no matter what. Everyday that you learn from your log and make it a habit is a good one.
  • CassandraMarie3
    CassandraMarie3 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i always always log. keeps me accountable!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I log no matter what. It may be helpful in the future, and in the present it makes me give myself a hard look.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    What's the point in just logging what you want to see? There isn't one. Not logging it is just denial.
  • cbart2818
    cbart2818 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I log them. It's like a cold blast of reality right in the face!!!!

THIS!!
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I log it all - I am only human. We all have good and bad days. Holds me accountable and makes me want to strive to do better the next day
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you don't log bad days, you're less likely to change your habits. For me, part of the process was realizing that I was having more bad days than I was having good days. I really had convinced myself that I ate well "most of the time" when in reality I was eating fast food like 3-4 times a week.

Yes. Log bad days. Not to shame yourself, but for the accountability and for the historical evidence when you're wondering WHY you're not losing
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I log it as best i can, unless ive been somewhere that has no food info then, well i just havent got a clue what it would add up too.
  • Randyamc
    Randyamc Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Yes, the log of shame.... Do it! Most important reason? It's a log you can look back at later and really see how what you eat affects your body. We're all different and you need to get to know you. :o)
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I have to log it to stay on track lol. I feel bad about it when I go way over or I know I chose something I could have said no to. That's what keeps me motivated though =). That and the venus swimsuit catalog haha.