I'm cutting out bread.. What to do about sandwiches?

Options

Replies

• wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    I've switched to "wraps" using Buena Vida - Whole Wheat Tortilla for Low Carb Diets. 80 calories, protein, low carb. Don't miss the bread at all.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Try wrapping in lettuce or eat the fillings on a bed of lettuce.

^This!
    There are low carb breads or you can try low carb tortillas. La Tortilla Factory makes a low carb one with 4 net carbs and it's really good.

and ^This!
  • CassandraMarie3
    CassandraMarie3 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I get romaine lettuce and make wraps with the lettuce. You would be surprised how full and satisfied you can be! I used to be a breadaholic, and have mostly eliminated it from my choices...once and a while it will happen on italian night, otherwise I find a substitute!
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    tortilla's maybe? i use whole wheat medium tortilla shells for lots of stuff from sandwiches to pizza crust. Might give it a try :)

Yeah, this.
  • Perfectdiamonds1
    Perfectdiamonds1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Wheat Bread 35 to 50 calories. I was addict to buttered bread. I would to Zaxbys and say, give me a basket of bread or eat all the buttered croissants at Cheddars. But now, I have one slice of wheat bread. If I make a sandwich just one slice- have an open face sandwich
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Lettuce wraps.

I also make "cheeseburgers" on grilled eggplant slices. YUM! Or I scoop the filling I would normally put in bread in a halved pepper.

There are many ways to do it. Good luck! And get creative with it!
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I love the bell pepper idea! May have to try that.

As mentioned, 35 or 45 calorie bread (Healthy Life and Sara Lee both make some and they are fairly low carb), Joseph's pitas are good, especially toasted, and a low carb wrap is good (some aren't as low carb as they should be, so read the label).
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    i know a friend of mine use to put provolone cheese slices in the microwave on wax paper till it got crunchy and then us it as bread and put the condiments inside she was on the no carb diet!
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    :smile: LOVE Josephs low Carb lavish and pitas....just watch the sodium content. Also lettuce is lovely with hummus!!
  • azwaa
    azwaa Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    As a mom with six kids, I have experience with the can't/won't eat sandwich crowd. I do a lot of Bento boxes for the kids, there are a lot of ideas out there that take lunch beyond sandwich. A good site to start is
    http://easylunchboxes.smugmug.com/The-Best-Lunchbox-System/Yummy-Lunch-Ideas/10136835_YSuyb#!i=696914291&k=YxmUd
  • croberson8711
    Options
    Love this thread, have been thinking about cutting back on bread for some time now myself. Wonderful suggestions here!
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Orrow Sandwich Thins - Bread, 1 roll = 100 calories. They come in several different flavors. Honey Wheat, Mutli grain, Cinnamon and Raisin.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    also spring roll wrappers. 33 cals each
  • cjdcmom
    cjdcmom Posts: 28
    Options
    Joseph's low carb pitas
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Do like KFC and put it between two chicken breasts.

This. Less carbs, more protein!

But seriously, I dislike lettuce wraps, but have found a few wraps with flax that I liked. Sara lee makes a 45 calorie bread, and open-faced sandwiches are barely different than a regular one!
  • morninglilli
    morninglilli Posts: 194
    Options
    Raw red cabbage leaf...YUM!
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    you could always, you know, just eat less bread. doesn't have to be all or none.

This isn't at all logical! Everyone knows you must cut out ALL of the foods you love to lose weight!!
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    open-faced sandwiches are barely different than a regular one!

Totally agree....love open faced sandwiches...:-)
  • anitaplus4
    anitaplus4 Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Try wrapping in lettuce or eat the fillings on a bed of lettuce.

This is what I do and I love it.
  • JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    I use a low carb, high fiber, high protein tortilla as a wrap for lunch every day. Most of my friends on here have trouble finding it, but it is Ole Xtreme wellness, high fiber low carb tortilla wrap. They are yummy!