If every day were like today... you would weigh...

Options

Replies

• Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'd be 7 pounds lighter.......
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Yes, kind of. A few weeks ago it was spot on but now its far off.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I never put much thought when it says I will be lighter but one day after piggin out it said I would be about 5 lbs heavier and it was an eye opener.

I like it when I feel like I pigged out, and then hit it and it says I'd weigh what I do now. Then I'm like "Ah, okay.... world is NOT ending. Breathe."
  • mystinamarie
    mystinamarie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think it's just a ballpark. Of course, over the next 5 weeks, all of your days aren't going to be "like" today- so you're going to see it fluctuate within a few pounds, depending on the end of that particular day's stats.
    Mine is usually within 3 pounds of estimates over the course of a few days. I haven't tracked it out from 5 weeks back to remember what it even said, but I do think it's pretty accurate. I've been losing at a rate of about a pound a week, give or take, and it has my estimate always around 4-5 pounds less than what I currently am. Some weeks I lose less, some weeks I lose more- it's just a ballpark.
    But, I do absolutely love that feature. I think it's a terrific motivator. So often you forget what you're working towards and you just see the end goal- far, far off in the distance at some indeterminable date. This gives a relatively short amount of time you can wrap your head around, with a number you'd be happy to see on the scale. Reminds me that 5 weeks isn't too far off and that if I keep at it, I'll LOVE that result on the scale.
  • milkandtea
    milkandtea Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It's been pretty accurate for me. I make a note with the predicted weight on a day that's 5 weeks from whenever I track it. I'm always within 1-2 pounds from it.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say unless u eat the same & burn the same every day for the next 5 weeks. I do not, so I dont think it really is. It's been telling me I'd b in the 120s for more than 5 weeks, I've yet to see them lol
  • Prudiddy
    Prudiddy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Most definitely, i'm about 2lbs ahead of what it tells me because I work out a little more. Also everytime I reset my goals it will say by May 17 you will lose 7.8 I lost 12, so yes if you did everything you did on that day, your weight will be just about what they say it will be. Challenge-go back five weeks and see what it says you'd weigh today! Should be right!
  • mystinamarie
    Options
    No....its been saying I should weight 10 pounds less than I do.

It's not saying you DO weigh 10 pounds less. It's telling you that if you keep up with your current diet/exercise rates that in *5 weeks* you'll weigh 10 pounds less than you *currently* do.
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering for a while now so I've started to record what it says everyday and then in 5 weeks (from last Monday) I'll see where I end up :)

Good Idea!!!!
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    It's an estimate. MFP doesn't know how each individual body works. Don't take it to be the absolute truth.

^This.
  • mystinamarie
    Options
    Similarly, if I don't do so well, I immediately see an estimate of how much slower my progress will be if I have many more days like that. That's helpful to me and I strongly suspect that's exactly what they want it to do, no more, no less.

^^^^ Agree 100%
    I had a pig out day over Memorial Day weekend and it had me at 2 pounds heavier than my weight at that time. It was an eye opener to see how you can slow, stall, or erase your hard work if you're not careful and make wise choices.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    It simply is a calculation of how much you would weigh in 5 weeks if on every day during that period you had the same calorie deficit. It's the same basic calculation that they use to tell you that if you want to lose 2 pounds per week you need a calorie deficit of 1000 cals per day, which they calculate for you given their estimate of your BMR and then they set a calorie target designed to give you that level of calorie deficit.

When you finalize your day and it tells you that you would lose a certain amount of weight in 5 weeks, I have no doubt that it would be roughly accurate over time if you generally maintained the same calorie deficit every day. You could have the same calorie deficit even if you eat eat more or fewer calories each day so long as your total calorie deficit from your food intake and physical activity is the same.

In short, I don't think they intend it to be a prediction of what you actually will do every day for 5 weeks. But it is very helpful and encouraging to me because it shows me in a very understandable way what the impact would be if I have days similar to the one I just had in terms of total calorie deficit. If I have a good day I can immediately see that repeating that level of calorie deficit generally will have the kind of weight loss effect I want, and so it encourages me to repeat that behavior. Similarly, if I don't do so well, I immediately see an estimate of how much slower my progress will be if I have many more days like that. That's helpful to me and I strongly suspect that's exactly what they want it to do, no more, no less.

Watch out! Someone has some common sense!:noway:
  • chonji4ever
    chonji4ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I think that it could be pretty close. It would depend on how accurately you answered the questions about your daily activity, and if you are accurately logging your deviation via the exercise logging. However, I think the calculator is just a close ballpark figure, and cannot account for your personal metabolism.
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of other things that can go into weightloss like sleep, stress levels, steps per day over exercise etc. that are not accounted for in this. It's nice to dream though!
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    It simply is a calculation of how much you would weigh in 5 weeks if on every day during that period you had the same calorie deficit. It's the same basic calculation that they use to tell you that if you want to lose 2 pounds per week you need a calorie deficit of 1000 cals per day, which they calculate for you given their estimate of your BMR and then they set a calorie target designed to give you that level of calorie deficit.

When you finalize your day and it tells you that you would lose a certain amount of weight in 5 weeks, I have no doubt that it would be roughly accurate over time if you generally maintained the same calorie deficit every day. You could have the same calorie deficit even if you eat eat more or fewer calories each day so long as your total calorie deficit from your food intake and physical activity is the same.

In short, I don't think they intend it to be a prediction of what you actually will do every day for 5 weeks. But it is very helpful and encouraging to me because it shows me in a very understandable way what the impact would be if I have days similar to the one I just had in terms of total calorie deficit. If I have a good day I can immediately see that repeating that level of calorie deficit generally will have the kind of weight loss effect I want, and so it encourages me to repeat that behavior. Similarly, if I don't do so well, I immediately see an estimate of how much slower my progress will be if I have many more days like that. That's helpful to me and I strongly suspect that's exactly what they want it to do, no more, no less.

what he said
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Mine's very accurate/ higher.

2 weeks ago, mine said I would be 177 in 5, and now that two weeks have passed, I only have to lose 1 pound per week over the next 3-ish weeks, and this will be true. :)
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I would be classified bulimia(if that is the right one), and probably only weigh 120 or under...

I ate 1474 and exercise burnt off1449, leaving me with a 25 calorie surplus.

I was just playing around with the Wii(wii tennis is very addicting when you add a two year old smiling and laughing, while he watched... forget about putting it down), with my nephew, and cleaning.... next thing I know.... net = 25. It was too late to do anything about it.
  • noirnatural
    noirnatural Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    OMG! I have never seen that before!!! I never press the button to finish logging...lol...that is the coolest thing I have seen! Its also very motivational, because now I can pick menu that work to help stay on track for my goal!!!:bigsmile:
  • JAGgirl47
    JAGgirl47 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not correct!
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    i`m not sure if it`s accurate but I think it`s a great tool! It`s encouraging to see where I could be by keeping up with what I have been doing.