Water and Lemons? what else can be added?

Options
OK lemons are sour so when my friend suggested half a squeezed lemon in hot water(2 glasses worth) first thing in the morning, I was skeptical. YUM! not only is it refreshing, but my skin is much much clearer, my sugar cravings dont hound me and I have done some research, turns out lemons are very very good for you. I leave the pulp in. and put a slice of the rind in the cup.

I have recently started adding a smushed strawberry(in a tea steeper) wow, tastes amazing. ( I tried this since noticing that a lot of my herbal teas have fruit chunks in them.)

This morning a boiled a few smooshed fresh blueberries and then steeped them too, double WOW.

I dont like juice, this is far from it, it is light and refreshing a hint of flavor or a lot, I choose. No need to add sugar.

I am picking up some raspberries this weekend.

Not only is this low cal, low sugar and carb but its a sneeky way to get my water in when I just dont feel like drinking water....

This is my new favorite drink in the morning. But Im always looking for new ideas anybody want to share?

Replies

• buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I just sliced up an apple really thin, and added it to a pitcher of water with a cinnamon stick- let it sit overnight and drink the next day. Very good!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    sliced cucumber-fresh ginger-lemons and mint......oh so good!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Lime, orange slice and cucumber come immediately to mind.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I tend to drink hot water and lemon when I have a sore throat as it's really soothing but I never thought about drinking it every day. Thanks for the info!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    bump...great ideas!
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    OMG... I am sooo in love with veggies and fruit in water it's insane!!!!

Berries, lemons, limes, oranges, cucumber, apples, peaches, sweet peppers... oh, and mint leaves and sweet basil. Maybe lemongrass?

It's so fresh and refreshing! :D
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I have hot water, juice of half of a lemon and a slice of fresh ginger
    EVERY Morning.. it stimulates my metabolism and I fill it up all day so I have a hot drink at my desk with my water.

Sometimes I'll add raspberry leaf tea to it and have that.

I feel great now and never drink caffiene.
  • jilliebk
    jilliebk Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I do it. its get ur digestive system going... so they say!
  • abacorica
    abacorica Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I second the lemons and mint leaves - I drink this everyday to get my water in
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Some one else posted this, so I hope it helps....
    CITRUS CUCUMBER WATER
    ■1 large lemon, sliced
    ■1 large lime, sliced
    ■1 large orange, sliced
    ■1 large cucumber, sliced
    ■1 half-gallon of water

Place all the sliced fruits and the cucumber in a glass pitcher and add water. Refrigerate for two hours to allow flavors to infuse, then serve in glasses over ice.

CUCUMBER–HERBAL WATER
    ■5 cups water
    ■10 thin slices of cucumber
    ■2 lemon slices
    ■2 sprigs of fresh mint
    ■3 sprigs of rosemary

Put water in pitcher and add lemon slices and cucumber slices. Crush mint and rosemary to release flavor, then add to other ingredients. Refrigerate for several hours. Serve over ice in tall glasses. Garnish with a lemon wedge.

CUCUMBER–MELON WATER
    ■1 large cucumber, sliced
    ■1/4 honeydew melon, cubed
    ■1/4 cantaloupe, cubed
    ■1 half-gallon water

Place cucumber and melons in a glass pitcher and add water. Refrigerate for 2 hours, then serve over ice. Garnish with melon balls skewered on a swizzle stick.

HONEYDEW–LIME WATER
    ■2–3 slices of ripe honeydew melon
    ■1 lime, sliced
    ■4 sprigs of mint
    ■1 half-gallon of water

Add melon slices, lime slices and mint sprigs to a large pitcher; fill with the half-gallon of water and refrigerate 2–4 hours. Serve in ice-filled glasses. Makes about 8 servings.

HERB AND BERRY–FLAVORED WATER
    ■1 cup fresh blueberries, lightly crushed
    ■2 4–inch sprigs of fresh rosemary. lightly bruised (to release more flavor)
    ■1 half-gallon of water

Add blueberries and rosemary sprigs to a large pitcher; fill with the half-gallon of water and refrigerate 2–4 hours. Serve in ice-filled glasses. Makes about 8 servings.

LEMON–LAVENDER WATER
    ■3 large lemons, sliced
    ■1/4 cup fresh lavender
    ■1 half-gallon of water

Add lemon slices and lavender to pitcher; pour water over both and refrigerate for 2 hours. Serve over ice and garnish with a sprig of lavender.

LEMON–MINT or LEMON-BASIL WATER
    ■4 lemons, sliced
    ■1 1/2 cups firmly packed fresh mint or basil leaves
    ■6–8 cups water
    ■6–8 cups ice cubes
    ■Fresh mint or basil sprigs

Place lemon slices in a large pitcher. Rub the mint or basil leaves between the palms of your hands to bruise the leaves slightly. Add to the pitcher with lemon and pour in the water. Cover and chill 1–8 hours.

Strain lemon–water mixture and discard herbs. Divide lemon slices and additional fresh mint or basil sprigs equally among 6–8 glasses. In each glass, add 1 cup of ice cubes, then fill with lemon water.

LEMON, LIME AND ORANGE WATER
    ■1 large lemon, sliced
    ■1 large lime, sliced
    ■1 large orange, sliced
    ■1/4 cup cilantro leaves (optional)
    ■1 half-gallon of water

Add citrus slices (and cilantro leaves, if desired) to a large pitcher; fill with the half-gallon of water and refrigerate 2 hours. Serve in ice-filled glasses. Garnish with your favorite citrus slice (and a sprig of cilantro, if you’re using that). Makes about 8 servings.

FROZEN FRUIT WATER
    ■2 cups frozen apple chunks, grapes, or berries
    ■1 half-gallon of water

Add frozen fruit to a pitcher; pour water over fruit and let sit at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Stir to distribute fruit flavor and serve in glasses with some ice cubes. (Note: you can chop up the same kind of fruit, unfrozen, and follow same directions. You’ll need to use more ice when serving the unfrozen fruit–flavored water).

ORANGE–MINT WATER
    ■3 large oranges, sliced
    ■10 mint leaves
    ■1 half-gallon of water

Put sliced oranges and mint leaves in pitcher and add water; refrigerate for 2 hours to infuse flavors. Pour over ice and garnish with a sprig of mint and orange slice.

WATERMELON–BASIL WATER
    ■2 cups seedless watermelon, cubed
    ■10 basil leaves
    ■1 half-gallon of water

Pour water over melon and basil; refrigerate for 2 hours. Serve over ice, garnished with a sprig of basil.

FRUIT WATER

■1 each of the following fruits: apple, lemon, orange, pear
    ■4 large strawberries
    ■Handful of raspberries
    ■Handful of mint leaves
    ■1 half-gallon of water

Cut large slices or thin wedges of each fruit; place them in a large glass pitcher and add cold water. Refrigerate 2 hours and serve over ice in tall glasses.
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Grapefruit
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I put slices of fresh strawberries in my 2qt pitcher of water let sit overnight and a slight strawberry taste. The taste is not strong but not plain tasting either.
  • supergr33n
    supergr33n Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Would lime have the same benefits as lemon? I have a few of those lying around..
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    This sounds great! Will keep an eye on the thread for other ideas :-)
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Wow what great ideas! I have done the lemon juice in water, that is really nice, there are some great ideas here.

Sometimes I put a Berocca or Hairy Lemon (vitamin fizzy tablet) in a glass of water and get flavour & vitamin supplement at the same time.
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    A squeeze of lime and some smushed ripe cherries...cherry limeade!
  • myrahonbarrier
    myrahonbarrier Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    bumping for later...thanks everyone
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I agree lemon in the water early morning refreshes your skin and helps reducing weight. My wife uses it every day and she has the desired effect on the skin but I didnt see changes weight wise. But I will try it myself to see it works on the weight loss or not.
  • Navmachine
    Navmachine Posts: 63
    Options
    does lemon juice from a bottle work too? i dont have lemons around, but i have just the straight juice...
  • smileymel27
    smileymel27 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Bump.
    Love this thread. So many good ideas. Thank you!