CrossFit - not losing weight.

Options
2»

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    You're dropping fat and adding muscle. Muscle is heavy.

You can build muscle in 10 days on 1200 calories????? WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWWOW

I want these mystical results!
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Crossfit is an extreme strength/cardio workout so you prob need to up your cals to about 1800-2000 per day on the conservative side. Also, weight loss w/ Crossfit is not going to be quick, because your are strength training along w/ cardio, so even though your weight may not be dropping on the scale, you are still leaning out and building muscle which is actually a better trade-off.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I know people hear this all the time, and I used to want to punch people when they said it, but eat more. I'm getting ready to start a strenuous heavy lifiting program and I am being guided to eat almost 2000 calories on days I don't work out and 2200-2300 on days that I do. Your body needs the fuel and actually eating less slows down your metabolism and your residual burn from heavy weight training. I know all the crossfit programs I've looked at have nutritionists and the trainers are all really nice, I would say talk to them and see if they can give you suggestions. Also, make sure you are consuming enough protein, MFP automatically sets your goal to 15%, up it to 30%, and get protein and drink it post workout.

Also, when you start a heavy training program your muscles retain water, LOTS of water to help the healing process of your muscles, which is why women tend to think they're "bulking up" when in all actuality you don't build muscle that quickly. I would say stick with it for 4 weeks, and at 4 weeks, re-evaluate your process, take measurements, and pictures, and notice how your clothes fit. Don't get discouraged, body change with muscle takes a while!
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    You need to give it more time. Your muscles do retain water when working out to such a hard degree. And make sure you are eating enough protein to help rebuild those muscles.
  • minimeek
    minimeek Posts: 1
    Options
    Hang in there! Muscle weighs more then fat. It sounds like you may not be eating enough. If you're doing crossfit, it should be logged as exercise allowing more calorie intake. Just a suggestion. Good Luck!
  • CourtneyTree
    Options
    Ive ben doing CF for a few months now and i am still around the same wight as I started, but I can REALLY see a huge change in my body!
    Are you also doing Paleo diet? That will help TONS if you stick to it! Then youll see quick results!
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I started doing crossfit just over 2 months ago.... I don't have a day 1 photo, but my profile picture is a progress picture of my back from day 30 to day 60. I've lost 15 inches all over so far, my snug 16 jeans now are falling off of me, by bra's are getting too big, and my shirts are now fitting how they should be instead of being pulled out by my giant spare tire around the middle. (( now it's just a little spare bike tire, lol))...... I eat good and go to CF 4 times a week.

my results are going great!! i feel myself getting stronger, i'm lasting longer in my WOD's and I'm all over becoming a healthier person!!

Oh... and one more thing.......... along with all of these inches lost and physical changes you can see in my photos (( again, just 30 days apart!!))....... I've only lost 4lbs since i started 2 months ago. My fat is going down, but my muscles are going up. I'm also about 65lbs overweight still. I lost 13lbs before CF by changing my eating, but that won't get me the body i want. Now, I'm on my way to a strong, sexy physique..... and you know what?? If i fit into a size 4, i don't care if the scale ever moves!!!

just keep up the great work, it'll pay off... promise!!! :)
  • CWSpiegel
    CWSpiegel Posts: 114
    Options
    As a lot of people said, you need to eat more.

Without going into wether 'starvation mode' is a myth and the rest of it, your body needs to repair all the damage you are doing to it. CrossFit isn't Zumba. It's also not a a fat-loss program. Sure if you eat strict Paleo at a slight deficit and crush metcons 5x a week you are going to lose weight, but you aren't going to put on much muscle either. It's a strength and conditioning program, and the results come slowly. I gained weight my first two months, but my dress shirts fit better. Since Feb, I have lost about 11 pounds and 4% bodyfat, and I took a whole MONTH off after having hernia surgery. I'm sure if I just did strict cardio I would have lost twice that amount of weight, but I would have been bored and looked like a marathon runner. I don't want to blow over in the wind.

If you want to lose weight fast, don't CrossFit. It would be much cheaper to pay $20 bucks a month for a globogym membership and some step classes. Crossfit puts your body through 'hell', and if you don't eat properly you are going to get hurt. But, if you stick with it, and work on improving your body, not just losing weight, you will see a difference. It takes time to look good.

Chris
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I started CrossFit a week and a half ago, and I'm seeing no weight loss results. I'm eating 1200 calories a day and drinking tons of water...

Any motivation or explanations are welcomed... It's pretty frustrating to have my muscles aching this badly and the fat won't come off.

Thanks for the support!

How do you feel in-general? What types of foods are you eating to hit that 1200 calories?

No she's not... not at 1200/cal day.
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    As a lot of people said, you need to eat more.

Without going into wether 'starvation mode' is a myth and the rest of it, your body needs to repair all the damage you are doing to it. CrossFit isn't Zumba. It's also not a a fat-loss program. Sure if you eat strict Paleo at a slight deficit and crush metcons 5x a week you are going to lose weight, but you aren't going to put on much muscle either. It's a strength and conditioning program, and the results come slowly. I gained weight my first two months, but my dress shirts fit better. Since Feb, I have lost about 11 pounds and 4% bodyfat, and I took a whole MONTH off after having hernia surgery. I'm sure if I just did strict cardio I would have lost twice that amount of weight, but I would have been bored and looked like a marathon runner. I don't want to blow over in the wind.

If you want to lose weight fast, don't CrossFit. It would be much cheaper to pay $20 bucks a month for a globogym membership and some step classes. Crossfit puts your body through 'hell', and if you don't eat properly you are going to get hurt. But, if you stick with it, and work on improving your body, not just losing weight, you will see a difference. It takes time to look good.

Chris

ditto to all of this!!! well put!! :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Lol I work out 3x a week and eat about 2k-3k a day.
    I lose about .5-1lb a week.
    Eat to fuel your goals.
    If fat loss and muscle retention is your goal then eat about 20% below TDEE.
    If muscle gains is your goal eat about 15-20% above TDEE daily.
    If fat and muscle loss is your goal then eat 1200 calories a day and turn into a smaller version of your previous fat self!
    #Truth
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough. And 1 1/2 weeks is not enough time to see weightloss. Also, CF isn't made specifically for weightloss. I do CF and have lost maybe 10 pounds in 6 months but I dropped a jeans size. Its more about body recomposition.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    seriously?!?!? it's been 10 days. come back to this post in 2 months if you're not making any progress. CF isn't some magic pill that's going to make you instantly lose weight.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    It's been 10 days, what results were you expecting in such a short time.

Come back when you have worked your *kitten* off for 10 weeks, 10 months and then 10 years and I guarantee you look a lot better.

If you are going to succeed is this game, you need get a little more patience.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    seriously?!?!? it's been 10 days. come back to this post in 2 months if you're not making any progress. CF isn't some magic pill that's going to make you instantly lose weight.

^ This... its not magic, its hard work, just like any other work out. You didn't become overweight in a week and a half, you're not going to get fit in a week and a half.
  • Michelebecker
    Michelebecker Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Listen, I am totally feeling you on this today. I have been crossfitting 1x week for about six weeks, and then last week I started going 3x per week, doing light workouts on my "rest" days, and eating clean and right. I eat 1400 calories/day, but then I factor in anything that I burn off and eat that too. There are days that I actually have trouble eating enough calories of "good" food and so I fall short. I have been the exact same weight for the past three weeks, but I am down a pants size and a belt loop in my waist alone. People keep asking me if I got my hair highlighted or if I am doing something with it. For now, I have decided to stay off the scale and see what happens, because honestly it was discouraging me. The whole reason that I was even looking at this post, is becuse I was feeling down about it. But... I feel my body getting stronger, less sore after workouts, and I like putting smaller jeans on... so it HAS to be working. :- ) Best wishes to you!
  • coucoudodo
    coucoudodo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I have been doing crossfit for three months and have been going through the same things as you. I even gained weight my first few weeks :sad: But in a matter of three months. I have doubled the weight I can lift in a couple of weeks :noway: . I feel amazing and I see improvement in my body that normal running on a treadmill/exercise at gym wouldn't fix. My muscles are starting to show, I am losing fat and look leaner and I have a lot less cellulite. Isn't that better than any number on a scale? I would say yes, because no one except you can see that number, but everyone else sees how confident you look when you feel stronger.

One tip: Calm down. You won't lose 20 pounds in 10 days this is a slow process. But please read this article which REALLY is spot on for woment and crossfit:

http://realfitrx.com/2013/06/08/crossfit-may-make-you-bulky-but-its-not-as-scary-as-you-think-2/

Don't give up. :flowerforyou:
  • Possible_Infinity
    Possible_Infinity Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I started CrossFit a week and a half ago, and I'm seeing no weight loss results. I'm eating 1200 calories a day and drinking tons of water...

Any motivation or explanations are welcomed... It's pretty frustrating to have my muscles aching this badly and the fat won't come off.

Thanks for the support!

So what ended up happening?
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options

No it's really not any heavier then fat.

Technically a pound is a pound is a pound anyway you look at it. The dif. is that a pound of fat takes more space up than muscle. A pound of muscle is lean and takes up a lot less space than fat- Visually it looks larger.