Is it Really Exercise or Am I Cheating?

Options
carreen
carreen Posts: 175 Member
Hello. I add in everything I do that can be considered exercise into my exercise tracker...not just workouts and walking, but also things like cleaning my house, washing my car, etc.

It just occurred to me that since I already have "lightly active" set up in my goals as my normal activity status, maybe it's already taking those kinds of things into account (in my daily calories burned), so when I record them as exercise, I'm doubling it (ie. cheating it). If I had "sedentary" as my status, I wouldn't worry (then everything would be exercise), but since I don't, am I cheating? Does this make any sense at all?

Do you guys record things like house cleaning?

Thanks!

Replies

• alisahaggard
    Options
    I think you're accidentally double-booking it. MFP's description of "lightly active" is a bit more than what I consider light activity, so I think all your everyday activity should probably already be covered by that.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    No I wouldn't bother, especially if you already have lightly active in your settings. You don't burn calories unless your heartrate is increased.. I think by adding them, you are allowing yourself eat more when you're not really burning the calories you think you are
  • lilbpixie
    lilbpixie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If it takes me more then a half hour to clean I add it, basically if I really work up a sweat its more then I "normally" do.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are set as light active you should only count "exercise" as exercise, if you were set to sedentary then some of the stuff could be logged as exercise.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    This can be a controversial topic here. I personally do not count things I do everyday, such as washing dishes or folding laundry. I would count strenuous activities such as painting a room, washing your car, moving day..ect. In other words, activities that I do not do often.

It is up to you though. Ultimately, you need to feel comforatble.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    People have different opinions on this, but I once read in the forums somewhere that "you cleaned when you were fat"...or something to that degree, anyway...so you shouldn't count it when you're trying to lose weight.

No matter how long I clean or do any other normal chores I don't count it as exercise.
  • rcbeck99
    rcbeck99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Some do, some don't. I record cleaning but only things like scrubbing my bathroom or mopping the kitchen floor. My activity is set to sedentary though. If it was set at lightly active then I probably wouldn't log the cleaning.
  • bethmillerwilson
    bethmillerwilson Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to lightly active, and I add in vacuuming & mopping, but not other house cleaning duties. I don't eat back all of the exercise calories I am allowed because I am not positive that those calories aren't overestimated. I do eat back 80% of them though.

I am still losing weight.
  • wren337
    wren337 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    you might find the BMR calculator interesting: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
    it gives you how many calories you'd spend sitting perfectly still for 24 hours. anything above that is already counting your light activity.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I think you're cheating. Err on the side of caution: don't include it.

Even with my "sedentary" setting, I don't add light exercise (15 minute walk to lunch, etc.). I just assume it's part of getting out of bed and living a life.... Yes, if I walk 30 min across town at a rather brisk pace I will add it. But it's better to be a bit conservative, in my opinion.

--P
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I record house cleaning when I am painting, sanding, etc. I have mine set at sedentary, which is why I count it. If you are working up a sweat, or doing something outside of daily cleaning, I would say add it.

I would always rather underestimate calories burned and be pleasantly surprised at the end of the week.
  • cardiokitten
    cardiokitten Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I have mine as sedentary and the only non-exercise (meaning not like, the treadmill, weight lifting, playing a sport, etc.) I log is cleaning, but I don't log things like doing dishes, I log it when I scrub floors on my hands and knees or move furniture, or anything else that really brings up a sweat. If I had it set to active, I personally wouldn't log those.
  • Acliff510
    Acliff510 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't think that you are intentionally cheating ... but it does kind of sound like you are giving yourself extra calories that you may not want to be using. I guess that is if you are eating the calories you earn.

I'm a banker so I have mine set to sedentary because I sit most of the day & then usually only log workouts. Unless I'm desparete and then I'll put in house cleaning ... etc. Especially if I'm going out to dinner with the hubby or friends. I want every last calorie to use at my meal that day!!!!

BUT, if you are losing weight doing it that way, then it must me right for you!! If not, you might re-evaluate :)
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't track house cleaning and things like that- that is what I have to do anyway- even when I was heavier. I think if you are already saying you are active- then you might be giving yourself a few too many calories...but it depends on your weight loss if you are happy with it keep at it :)

I only track things I am considering "exercise"- walking with the intent of going at least 4mph or greater- running- biking etc...

I hope this helps....
  • jenb6723
    jenb6723 Posts: 13
    Options
    I always error with overestimating calories and underestimating exercise and never record non workout activities. To be safe, I would not be recording those events - especially is you are lightly active on your goals.
  • ShawnaCurley
    ShawnaCurley Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I never add any extras like that. Although, cleaning house, washing the car, doing yard work is, sometimes, an extreme workout. I won't add them. I strictly just put down what I do in the gym, or is considered an actual exercise.
    I just consider doing those extra things a bonus!

Good luck in your journey!
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    No I don't.

My reasoning is that if you only do what you always did you'll only get what you've always had.

Unless you were previously severely mobility impaired by weight and for the first time you're doing your shopping, or you've never previously been able to clean your house before, then no.

The database includes things like "personal grooming" and "light house work".

I don't know many people who lost weight showering, cleaning their teeth or dusting...
  • teinepalagi
    teinepalagi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I would say...probably double doing it. I have gotten around this by puchasing a fitbit (It's a pedometer on steroids). It counts your movements pretty well and will add calories in if you're over what MFP sets you at. I had originally set myself to sedentary (cuz I sit on my *kitten* all day at work) and I was surprised that I was probably more "lightly active" when the fitbit added in the calories.

fitbits are a little pricey ($99)...but worth it if you can swing it. They sync up with the MFP site. Good luck!
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I only log actual exercise. I don't eat back my exercise calories so anything that I do in addition to exercise (cleaning the cars, cleaning the home) is just a bonus.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I don't add in anything that I was doing when I was fat.

Exercise activities are the things that you deliberately do in order to change your life and be thinner. You get "points" for positive change, not for things you were already doing before.