Do you still eat what you want?

Options

Replies

• mogolo
    mogolo Posts: 30
    Options
    I gave up mountain dew ... I was drinking an absurd amount like almost 2 2liters a day havent touched it in a long long time and now the weight is falling off... still drink some sweet tea once in awhile but mainly I drink water.
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I do. But I've found that things I want have changed now.

This.

Also, I've given up things before (no carbs for 2 years, nothing carbonated for 4 years), but now I just try to stay within a range. If it was something I hated, sure, I could give it up for the rest of my life. However, it's unrealistic for me to say I am NEVER gonna have [insert something I really enjoy] ever again. I don't need to make my life unnecessarily hard.
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Once in a great while, yes. I usually try to make my indulgences REALLY worth it, today's pizza notwithstanding. :sick:

Example: If I'm going to have chocolate, I make it super good quality chocolate, so a little goes a long way. It usually works well for me.
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy on weekdays and kind of go less strict on the weekends. Even though I know I shouldn't. But I am more active on the weekends. If I snack though, I make sure I'm within my calorie goal. I do watch my sugar closely now too since I believe that is what caused my weight gain.
  • cryan1980
    cryan1980 Posts: 37
    Options
    I weighed around 300 lbs. for so long, that I am afraid to go back to eating fast food, chips, pizza, breads, rice, pasta, french fries, etc... After losing 123 lbs. and knowing that eating low carb has worked for me to lose that weight (and will help me lose the rest of my weight and maintain my weight for life) it is very hard for me to give in to eat any of those types of foods. I do struggle with limiting the almonds, low carb ice cream and sugar free chocolate, though. That will be my "cheat" when I absolutely have to eat something I probably shouldn't. But all those other foods that I previously mentioned are unhealthy and detrimental to my diet. Plus, you can always find a way to make those kinds of foods healthy. That's just me, though. I was a walking heart attack and/or stroke waiting to happen for many years. This way of eating reversed my diabetes and high blood pressure. The way I look at it, all of that (weight loss and good health and feeling great) tastes better than any food ever will.

Awesome! :happy: Congrats on the health issues!!!!
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I still eat what I want for the most part. There are a few things that I will no longer eat or if I do they are very rare occassions and in rigid moderation. The two things are fast food and chips. I have determined that they are evil and combined with my laziness are the reason I am fat.

I have eaten fast food twice in the last 3 months. Breakfast combo at McD's with coffee both times. I have eaten chips maybe 10 times in 3 months and usually no more than 10 to 15 chips. The fat, calories, and sodium in these items just blow me away.
  • kariebo
    kariebo Posts: 101
    Options
    absolutely. I try to resist some cravings that I know are just there because Im bored... but if Im actually hungry and want something, I get it... I do try to account for it in exercise and in my numbers... but if it throws me over I chalk it up to a little bit of indulgence. Plus I sometimes go out of my way to get some of my favorite 'bad' foods... I purposefully do this so that I can learn how to moderate myself and prove that I can still eat those things, just not as much or as often... in my mind I am teaching myself how to eat in the real world (or atleast my world) ...although sometimes its just nice to get some nuggets.
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!! If I didn't, this thing wouldn't be working for me... :wink: I've got to allow myself the occasional mexican food (and not just fajita's) and pizza!!! :happy:
  • Chrystibel
    Chrystibel Posts: 116
    Options
    Yes, Today I ate the best doughnut in the world.
    I don't binge anymore, that's under control. When I was restricting I would binge, then get depressed, then binge, nasty little cycle.
    Everything in moderation is working for me.

^^^This...It's the only way I can stick to this, I'm just working on making healthier choices and working out a little harder bit by bit, but there is no way i'm giving up foods I love because I would fail and binge if I did.
  • harleygaljojo
    harleygaljojo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I eat what ever I want, I have an ice cream every evening as a snack. I eat pizza, pastas, steaks, mexican, chinese. It takes planning but I always come under my calories for the day. Being satisfied with what you want to eat makes it easier to stay on task. I have lost 33 lbs since March 11. And today I got to wear size 16 pants, down from 18-20's. I guess it's all about how you want to do things, if I don't feel deprived it doesn't seem like a diet.
  • delmore1
    delmore1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I do. This is a life style change for me NOT a diet. I simply watch my portions but still eat what my family eats. I've been on to many diets where I eat only certain things or nothing but salads and then once I stop and start eating real food again I would gain it back. So far this is working for me along with exercising. Everyone is different and should do what works for you. Good luck!
  • BelleHeart
    BelleHeart Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you stay in your calorie range and don't eat horribly everyday, then yes, you can eat what you want. But I find that it is easier to eat healthy foods b/c they have less calories per serving allowing me to eat more.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I still eat lots more salad than I did before starting MFP, but summers are tough.
    Attending my son's ball games necessitates eating a lot of concession stand fare.
    Vacation mandates consuming fast food or other restaurant cuisine, all of which has astronomical sodium content and calorie-dense selections.
    But, yeah, I try to eat sensibly when it's feasible.
    I don't have anything on my 'banned food' list. So also, yeah, I eat what I want and stay aware of the portions.
    I've stayed within 3# of my goal since I met it in November of last year, and have even been under my goal weight a couple of times.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat clean most of the time, but will indulge on occasion. I still eat my favorite Subway sandwich sometimes, but find that I can no longer tolerate a lot of fast foods due to the high fat content. My cravings for junk have diminished since changing the way I eat. I went to the fair earlier this week and tried to eat an onion ring off my husband's plate, took a bite and the grease just turned my stomach. :sick: There was really nothing there I wanted. Okay...well, maybe a sweet, but I wanted to wait until we were leaving to buy one. I forgot all about it and left without it.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Yes.. I love steak and sweet potatoes and burgers, eat them all the time and meet my macros and still have room for a drink or two or 3 ;-)
  • taniaxkoi
    taniaxkoi Posts: 18
    Options
    I eat whatever I want within my goal. I even *gasp* go over from time to time.

I do this all the time!!
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I do, but I eat in moderation. There are some things though, that unless I'm really craving, I just won't get anymore (see: Wendy's Frosty's) because it's just not worth the calorie count.
  • Arperjen
    Arperjen Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    So-so, I'm making improvements over time. I cut back on soda and chips, but I haven't given them up completely. I eat as healthy as I can within my budget (and I mean my $$$ budget, not my calorie budget). I haven't had fast food in ages, so if the opportunity arises, I know I'll be able to hold back or decline it completely.
  • Jalare
    Jalare Posts: 103
    Options
    I try to be very strict with my calories during the week. I plan for the weekends when I eat the not so healthy stuff, but I limit myself to one meal a day on the weekend. My one meal may be Friday night, Saturday afternoon, or Sunday afternoon; two out of the three days. If I decide to have something I crave during the week, I try to add more exercise.
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    Bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!