Why does my chicken breast come out dry

Options
Everytime I cook chicken breat it comes out dry and tasteless. I cook my chicken breast in my oven and I season it with different species and what not. Am I over cooking it or what? Oh and yeah, I am new at cooking

Replies

• misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I find a lot of people are really scared to undercook chicken so they cook the crap out of it.

I use a small indoor grill (it's one of those ones that's like a Panini press/grill/griddle) and I cook my chicken breast on there and they come out perfectly cooked and super moist every time. I tenderize the pieces a bit first then cook them for maybe 10 minutes max. If I'm unsure if it's fully done I just cut into one.

ETA: taste wise, it's better if you put a good seasoning on it and put it in a ziplock bag and put it back in the fridge for a few hours. I like putting fresh crushed garlic with rosemary. Or my husband loves bacon salt sprinkled on it before I cook it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You are overcooking it, you could also try a brine for the chicken before cooking
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Yep...you probably are. I prefer to make mine in a grill pan...that way I can monitor the cooking. When it starts to "sweat" and the juices run clear, its done. :)
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Do you have a slow cooker? It changes everything. Seriously... tender chicken breasts, no stock/liquid required unless you just want to. I put in 9 frozen breasts for six hours... shredded with a fork beautifully. We ate it for 2-3 days with a homemade bbq sauce poured over... delicious and too easy.
  • Staceyblewin
    Staceyblewin Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I used to think I hated chicken, then I realized that both myself and my husband overcook it. Turns out, chicken is delicious when cooked properly, even with very little seasoning.
  • GZero81
    GZero81 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it sounds like you're overcooking it. I cook mine on a George foreman grill and they always come out really moist. The key is to pick find the thickest part and then check it periodically.
  • smileybonbon85
    smileybonbon85 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sounds like overcooking to me. My trick is to use a meat thermometer. They have electronic ones that have every type of meat on them. I normally cook mine in a dry skillet (no oil or butter) will a little seasoned salt on it.
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    My husband is the king of making his famous moist-free chicken. The key is a lower temperature instead of cooking it too fast at too high of one.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I pound mine out thin then I add my favorite spices...cut & clean asparagus and roll the chicken around it ( you can put chesse inside also) and I season the top and put it in the over at 350 for about 30 mins...depends how flat you pound it. It's so tender & moist.

Over cooking will dry it out!!
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I typically boil my chicken until almost completely cooked - then BBQ or grill
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    If I'm just cooking the chicken plain int he oven, I add a little water to the pan, and maybe some oil. Much less dry!

Also, if I'm feeling really lazy, I just throw frozen chicken breast in my crockpot with a little bit of water or stock. I have fast and easy shredded chicken for when I get home for dinner!
  • ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    you're overcooking it....
  • Hattieross
    Hattieross Posts: 17
    Options
    Try marinating it in plain low fat yogurt, garlic, rosemary and lemon overnight in a ziplock.

Once you reach an internal temp of 165 degrees it's done.

Or, cut the breast in half. If there's no "pink" it's done.

You will have a juicy, wonderfully seasoned chicken breast.

I make several this way so I can use them for other meals.

Hope this is helpful!
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    If you're baking the chicken with just seasonings, place it in a sealed tin foil pouch (on a cookie sheet or something).

Make sure meat is at room temp before cooking. If you place just out of the fridge meat into a hot oven....the outside will cook and the inside will be undercooked.

These two tips, and I've never had dried out chicken since. And I generally only cook skinless chicken, usually boneless breasts.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    this is why i prefer chicken thighs. there's a bit more fat so it's juicier. it's so hard to dry out a chicken thigh, even for me and i'm a horrible cook who knows when stuff is done when i smell the burnt :laugh:
  • SmallBodyBigHeart
    Options
    Okay instead of cooking it on 330 im going to try to cook it on 265
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    A little thing I do is rub some mayo on it before I season and cook it. The moisture will cook out of the mayo instead of your chicken breast and in the end you don't taste the mayo.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    Do you have a slow cooker? It changes everything. Seriously... tender chicken breasts, no stock/liquid required unless you just want to. I put in 9 frozen breasts for six hours... shredded with a fork beautifully. We ate it for 2-3 days with a homemade bbq sauce poured over... delicious and too easy.

I also think you should try the slow cooker. Turns out moist and yummy every time.
  • dwiebe85
    dwiebe85 Posts: 123
    Options
    bump
  • lad323
    lad323 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Sear the chicken breast on the stove for a few minutes each side and then cook it in the oven. If you don't sear it on the stove first to form a coating on the outside, all the juices will run out of the inside.