Weight loss vs Inches loss. Which is better?

Options

Replies

• sneekspeete
    sneekspeete Posts: 136
    Options
    Losing inches instead of weight means you are replacing fat with muscle. The extra muscle will raise your BMR and allow you to burn fat off easier and faster. It's a win-win either way, but having a good amount of muscle is better for your health in the long run.
    facedesk.jpg

hahahahaha...fat cannot turn into muscle and vice versa...completely different things. But having more muscle and less fat = smaller you.

fatvsmuscle.jpg
    WOW!!!
  • Finally22
    Finally22 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Well, how often do you write your weight across your forehead before you leave home in the morning? :wink:

:laugh:
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Well, how often do you write your weight across your forehead before you leave home in the morning? :wink:
    This!
  • 80ld
    80ld Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 day shred and lost 7lbs and 10.5 total inches.... mostly my arm and legs.... its a great workout....Jullian is no joke

Thats amazing !!
    Hope i can get those kind of results!!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Losing inches instead of weight means you are replacing fat with muscle.
    hahahahaha...fat cannot turn into muscle and vice versa...completely different things. But having more muscle and less fat = smaller you.
    Um, reading comprehension? "Replacing" doesn't mean "turning into".
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Inches. You can lose weight cutting off an arm, but would you be happy the scale said you were 20 pounds lighter???
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

^^^^^^THIS. Read my blog if you want further confirmation. Weight does not necessarily =fat loss. Me ..I want to lose fat. Lose fat, gain lean muscle mass. Recomp my body. That is what's going on when inches are lost, but scale is stagnant or slow. people see YOU, not a number on the scale.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Inches lost = fat lost. That is infinitely better than anything a scale might say.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Inches definitely inches!! Went form size 14 to size 7 and only lost 5 lbs. but I lost 15 INCHES
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    INCHES!! I still climb on the scale every day, mostly because Im obsessive complusive about it, but when the damn scale is not moving, taking my inches can be VERY satisfying!

And not to mention, going to the clothing store and suddenly being a size smaller is awesome!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Inches definitely inches!! Went form size 14 to size 7 and only lost 5 lbs. but I lost 15 INCHES

Word!
  • amnski
    amnski Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Losing inches instead of weight means you are replacing fat with muscle.
    Um, reading comprehension? "Replacing" doesn't mean "turning into".

Ok...again, you cannot replace fat with muscle. You can use muscle to burn fat...
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options

Ok...again, you cannot replace fat with muscle. You can use muscle to burn fat...
    If I lose a pound of fat and gain a pound of muscle, I'm replacing one with the other. Not turning one into the other, not using one to burn the other, but replacing.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

If I lose a pound of fat and gain a pound of muscle, I'm replacing one with the other. Not turning one into the other, not using one to burn the other, but replacing.
    If you do that as a female, in 30 days, on a calorie deficit you are not HUMAN.
  • amnski
    Options
    No, you are adding one lb of muscle and losing one lb of fat...they are not the same and do not occupy the same space, so therefore cannot be "replaced" with each other.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options

WHERE THE HELL DID I SAY TURN MUSCLE INTO FAT? NOWHERE! I SAID REPLACE! As in, you're losing fating and building muscle at the same time.

You ought to save that facedesking for your goddam inability to read.
  • slim104
    slim104 Posts: 160
    Options
    So many people have said "inches are what matter!" but I can say when you are morbidly obese you want to see pounds come off long before you are worried about inches. Once I'm down in the 100s, I think inches may matter a lot more to me than the pounds do now.
    I totally agree with this. I started at 351lbs in April this year and am now 315lbs. Yes my shirts are looser but i'd rather see the numbers dropping on the scales at the moment.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    No, you are adding one lb of muscle and losing one lb of fat...they are not the same and do not occupy the same space, so therefore cannot be "replaced" with each other.

Of course they can. If you gain a pound of muscle and lose a pound of fat you've replaced a pound of fat with an equal pound of muscle, therefore losing inches instead of weight. It doesn't mean that the fat cells have literally turned into muscle.
  • amnski
    Options

WHERE THE HELL DID I SAY TURN MUSCLE INTO FAT? NOWHERE! I SAID REPLACE! As in, you're losing fating and building muscle at the same time.

You ought to save that facedesking for your goddam inability to read.

You still cannot replace one with the other...so save what you will. You can have more of one and lose more of the other, but they do not REPLACE each other
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Well, nobody follows you around with a scale to see what you weigh. But when you are toned and tightened, everyone can tell. I am wearing the same size now as i wore 25 years ago, but i'm 30 pounds heavier.