What do you do if it's late and you're hungry?

Options
2»

Replies

• Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    It depends on if you're planning to go straight to bed or be up a while more. And if you have calories left.

If I'm going to be up a few more hours, I'll eat but if I'm about to go to bed, I know I'll get to eat when I wake up and you don't feel hungry if you're asleep :D So I tell myself that- and that I'll probably feel better eating a big breakfast than snacking before bed.

If I have calories to spare and I'm reallllly hungry I'll eat too.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

I've always been of the mind that it's bad to eat late. Even my trainer said don't eat after 8 because it will go straight to my *kitten*.

Your trainer is misinformed. It doesn't matter what time you eat (unless it gives you indigestion to eat right before you go to bed).
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Have you eaten all of your calories already? If not, eat! It doesn't matter what time you eat.
    No, I'm way under... thought I was good before I realized I logged my smoothie and didn't have it.
    I've always been of the mind that it's bad to eat late. Even my trainer said don't eat after 8 because it will go straight to my *kitten*.
    I know you want to trust him because he's a professional, but trainers aren't required to have any education on nutrition or meal timing... or anything else really. Lots of people think you shouldn't eat after a certain time, but there's no science to back it up.

It's good advice if it helps to limit your overall intake - which it does for many people because they tend to snack mindlessly in the evening - but if you're within your calorie limit and it doesn't upset your sleep, it's fine to eat at night.

And... you have to look at the big picture. Even if it were true that you shouldn't eat after 8PM, it wouldn't matter if you did it once in a while.
  • mrsmustgetmuscles1
    mrsmustgetmuscles1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've found that smart pop popcorn (or any of the low fat varieties) is a great snack that fills you up without a lot of calories, 15 calories per cup popped. Also, if it's really late I just try to go to bed, sleeping usually helps the hunger go away!
  • cgray
    cgray Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I'm doing. When I was training for the Chicago marathon if it was midnight and I got hungry I ate. Most of the time if I'm really hungry and can't sleep i simply take it off the next day's calories.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i would eat protein and fat. maybe some eggs and bacon or a steak.
  • self_control
    Options
    drink warm water
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'll have a piece of fruit or yogurt.
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I eat something to get me through the night. Fruit, carrots, something quick and low cal.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    eat
  • DatRipped
    DatRipped Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It all depends. Are you unavoidably hungry?

The first thing I'd do is look at my macros and calories for the day. If I'm under, I have my answer to why I'm hungry and also know what macro I'm lacking in.

If I happen to be at or over my macros for the day but am still craving something to eat, I'll eat something large in volume but low in calories such as oatmeal, rice, even guacamole and pita chips would be a great choice! (and one of my favorites!)
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    A very light snack, then go to bed. If I'm sleeping, I won't notice the hunger.
  • thelandofwin
    Options
    I would eat lean protein if possible. If this is not possible, then I eat a mix of fat and protein. A cheddar cheese stick, a spoonful of peanut butter, no fat greek yogurt with berries, a protein shake, etc.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    If it's really late, past 11pm, I just go to bed.

If it's before 11pm, I'll try some exercise, like a brisk walk (I do a walking DVD) or some minutes with the hula hoop. Exercise usually kills my appetite.

If that still doesn't work, I'll have a small plate of sliced cucumber or 5 baby carrots. Either choice is under 30 calories and good for you to boot.

Just remember that if you had a good day food-wise, you aren't really hungry!
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I eat. If my body is hungry, clearly I need to give it food. Eating after some arbitrary time won't make you fat, I promise. I eat right before bed all the damn time.
  • msjones2831
    msjones2831 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Maybe 10 almonds or celery with a little hummus.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have lost 307 lbs. take a 500-600 calorie snack to bed every single night.. There is no set time when you have to quit eating.. If you have the calories to consume then have at them... As long as your hitting your macros and caloric intake eat whenever you want too... Best of Luck..
  • THERESESLIM
    Options
    Fruit is carbs and sugar! I squeeze a lemon and a couple key limes into water add stevia and ice and drink in a stem glass. Works every time. :happy:
  • MrsLong1980
    MrsLong1980 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Even my trainer said don't eat after 8 because it will go straight to my *kitten*.

I did not know that "food" has a watch ... can imagine it going, "Oooooo - look at the time, best get to the *kitten* pronto fellas!" LOL
  • phatty4dayz
    phatty4dayz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Have you eaten all of your calories already? If not, eat! It doesn't matter what time you eat.

^^ This! But if I have eaten my calories, its water and bed.